What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. CSU Score Prediction Thread

If the Rams are able to win this game in a dominating way and lead the Rams to another winning season, then McElwain might get tapped to fill a P5 coaching vacancy.

Even when CSU win, they lose.

If the Rams are able to win this game in a dominating way and lead the Rams to another winning season, then McElwain might get tapped to fill a P5 coaching vacancy.

Even when CSU win, they lose.
Honestly, I'd be ok with that. The only way McElwain doesn't eventually get looks from better programs is if he isn't very successful at CSU. I don't want him to leave, but I want him to be successful. This is the reality at most schools, even CU. At least his buyout is structured in a way that we should have money to hire someone else decent.

I don't think Sparkles has the chops for a P5 HC job. Doesn't mean he won't get hired, but don't think it will last.

I can see him being a Gene Chizik type coach.

I also don't think he has the chops to cheat like Chizik. Chizik went .500 as a HC, I don't think ol' Mr. Sparkles could achieve that at a P5 school.

Champion lint picker though!

Despite the weird stuff with Kapri Pants, he doesn't seem like he would look the other way while his players were being paid. He has gotten trained in the SEC though but I agree that he seems like a nice rule follower.

Honestly, I'd be ok with that. The only way McElwain doesn't eventually get looks from better programs is if he isn't very successful at CSU. I don't want him to leave, but I want him to be successful. This is the reality at most schools, even CU. At least his buyout is structured in a way that we should have money to hire someone else decent.

Given the state of CSU's financial affairs and heavy reliance of subsidy, do you think the Rams will be in a position to match or exceed McElwain's salary for the next guy?

Given the recent resignation of Jack Graham, the timing of McElwain's departure is important. If McElwain bails at the end of the 2014 season, who will Tony Franks hire as AD who can hire a quality replacement?

Seems to me that McElwain leaving at the end of 2015 would be way better than an exit at the end of 2014. Sparkles is smart to use the 2014 season to focus on building his resume.

Despite the weird stuff with Kapri Pants, he doesn't seem like he would look the other way while his players were being paid. He has gotten trained in the SEC though but I agree that he seems like a nice rule follower.

I don't really think he cares about following the rules. I just think he is too much of a pussy to balls out cheat like the SEC.

He just doesn't seem innovative enough to make waves if that makes any sense.

Given the state of CSU's financial affairs and heavy reliance of subsidy, do you think the Rams will be in a position to match or exceed McElwain's salary for the next guy?

Given the recent resignation of Jack Graham, the timing of McElwain's departure is important. If McElwain bails at the end of the 2014 season, who will Tony Franks hire as AD who can hire a quality replacement?

Seems to me that McElwain leaving at the end of 2015 would be way better than an exit at the end of 2014. Sparkles is smart to use the 2014 season to focus on building his resume.
I don't have intimate knowledge of CSU's financial state so I can't really comment. McElwain presently has a $7.5M buyout so I imagine that would go a long way towards helping with the things you mention. Financially for CSU, it would be better for him to leave after this season rather than 2 years from now (deescalating buyout).

Financially for CSU, it would be better for him to leave after this season rather than 2 years from now (deescalating buyout).

This is short term thinking, no? Being smart with saving money on coaching salaries means gambling on unproven or otherwise inferior replacement talent.

If McElwain is winning games and developing good players, then his salary would be a wise investment.

This is short term thinking, no? Being smart with saving money on coaching salaries means gambling on unproven or otherwise inferior replacement talent.

If McElwain is winning games and developing good players, then his salary would be a wise investment.
Generally speaking, yes. Based on what we've seen so far I'd like for him to stick around as long as possible. I was just talking about the raw dollars involved.

I don't really think he cares about following the rules. I just think he is too much of a pussy to balls out cheat like the SEC.

He just doesn't seem innovative enough to make waves if that makes any sense.

I don't think it's a question of willingness on his part, it is a question of available resources.

In the SEC the cheating isn't "done" by the schools, it is done by selected supporters who are working "independently" from the schools.

Somehow, certain boosters are informed which players, recruits, or significant individuals surrounding players or recruits need a little "extra." The connections are then made that allow for envelopes to get passed, or for the uncle to "buy" the car but forget to pay, or for the new trailer home to show up at the right lot.

I question if CSU, or most other MWC teams has the boosters available with the resources and willingness to do this. Unlike the south, this kind of support simply isn't a part of the culture at a lot of schools in the rest of the country.

Cville you can just send your leftover chips and beer my way when your hangover subsides.

'Tini just send me the good stuff!

The Rammies were just the better team this game.
Go **** yourself troll. What the **** are you doing on this board? You are clearly no fan.

Rams 38 Buffs 17. Sorry. They have the better quarterback and its the culmination of their season.

Yeah I'll take this one. It was obvious. If you guys want to watch a real head coach, head over to the basketball board. Roll Tad.

Back