What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Staff Reasoned Thoughts/ Meltdown Thread

?? Maybe my english is bad, but at least=not less than

It says up to 2.6 million but does not guarantee we spend that. They may not. But you also point out we would be spending more for coaches than other pac12 schools. IMO this is key to attracting good talented assistants and more importantly keeping them!! As we have pointed out many times CU is at a disadvantage because they cannot give contracts and so coaches livelihoods are guaranteed only on a month to month basis. If you want to attract top talent and keep it you have to give them SOMETHING to make up for this. IMO it should be slightly higher pay in exchange for taking the chance you could be fired without any compensation at any moment.

Two thoughts:

1. We bitch when we hire a WAC coach and he doesn't bring his staff...then seven years later we bitch when we hire a WAC coach and he does bring his staff.

2. I'll coach RB's at the bargain basement price of $250K. I can scream bitch, mother****er and pussy as loud as nearly anybody. Continuity will help. Shall I send a resume'?

Not sure where you got the idea $250,000 for an assistant coach (any position) is "bargain basement" price.

In 2011, the average salary of an NCAA assistant football coach was $182,000.

It says up to 2.6 million but does not guarantee we spend that. They may not. But you also point out we would be spending more for coaches than other pac12 schools. IMO this is key to attracting good talented assistants and more importantly keeping them!! As we have pointed out many times CU is at a disadvantage because they cannot give contracts and so coaches livelihoods are guaranteed only on a month to month basis. If you want to attract top talent and keep it you have to give them SOMETHING to make up for this. IMO it should be slightly higher pay in exchange for taking the chance you could be fired without any compensation at any moment.

That's not true. The vast majority of Pac-12 assistants are on 1 year contracts

That's not even true at all. Money talks. A guy like Brennan makes only 120k at Ore St. We have the salary pool to throw him 175kish to get him to jump.

Right right right. That's why CU was so successful in bringing over Jones from Cincinnati and Mullen from Mississippi State. All CU had to do was throw money at them and they jumped right over. Oh wait...

And what makes you think Brennan has ANY interest in CU at all? His brother got run out of town for allegations of sexual assault. If that happened to your brother, would you want to go to Boulder / CU?

Not sure where you got the idea $250,000 for an assistant coach (any position) is "bargain basement" price.

In 2011, the average salary of an NCAA assistant football coach was $182,000.
You really thought item number two was serious, Clark? I was joking...although I can scream profanity pretty loud.

Right right right. That's why CU was so successful in bringing over Jones from Cincinnati and Mullen from Mississippi State. All CU had to do was throw money at them and they jumped right over. Oh wait...

And what makes you think Brennan has ANY interest in CU at all? His brother got run out of town for allegations of sexual assault. If that happened to your brother, would you want to go to Boulder / CU?

Which is why he went to Tennessee? So CU/Mac shouldn't go after any BCS assistants because not a single one would jump at our offer? lol. And Colt was found guilty

You really thought item number two was serious, Clark? I was joking...although I can scream profanity pretty loud.

I have no idea if you're serious, or not. Loud profanity is an acquired skill. I took your comment in that regard at face value.

The point of my numbers was that $250,000 per coach for 9 coaches = $2.250 million. If CU just paid the FBS average for their coaches, with a little more to the coordinators, that $2.6 million is going to be gone quick.

Which is why he went to Tennessee? So CU/Mac shouldn't go after any BCS assistants because not a single one would jump at our offer? lol. And Colt was found guilty

You shouldn't EXPECT a bunch of BCS assistants to jump ship to a terrible coaching job just because a few more dollars are involved.

As long as Mac adds a couple of coaches with CO HS ties I'm fine with adding Lindgren, Baer, Jeffcoat, Clark, Forman.

Where did I say that? I think it's idiotic to believe that not a single bcs assistant would come here
yo, overly emotional reactionary, who the **** has reported that not a single bcs assistant is comign here? at least 2 (WR/RB) from the SJSU staff are not coming. Stop relying on hyperbole.

Random hypothetical to throw out there: is it completely unrealistic to think MacIntyre could throw money at a proven BCS defensive assistant with the idea that they would get to learn under MacIntyre and possibly be in line for a coordinator gig fairly soon given Baer's age? It sounds like no one thinks that is possible.

Random hypothetical to throw out there: is it completely unrealistic to think MacIntyre could throw money at a proven BCS defensive assistant with the idea that they would get to learn under MacIntyre and possibly be in line for a coordinator gig fairly soon given Baer's age? It sounds like no one thinks that is possible.

La Russa. Didn't you see he did everything at UNLV

I admit I don't know, but why all the Hagan hate? He was basically a non-starter for Embree and assumed all but gone for Mac

More head scratcher than hate, what does he bring to the staff that keeps him around year after year?

That's not the point. CU is ridiculously stupid for stipulating a minimum of 2.6mil in the contract. He could have hired whoever he wanted for that $$. And we should be paying the going rate or a tad above for like assistants, not much much more. I've posted other Pac-12 assistants and they are far more qualified and less paid than what it appears we are going to pay. We failed big time.

Why does everyone act like throwing millions of dollars away that we don't need to isn't a big problem??? Like $$ isn't an issue for the CU AD:rolling_eyes: You have a large salary pool to attract bigger fish.... SJSU's staff would have probably came regardless due to the step up to the Pac-12. We could have paid 1.6mil and saved the rest for facilities. Bad business

Why do you stupidly assume that the entire amount allocated, was all paid out to bring SJSU assistants on board?

I'd like to think that HCMM is just a bit smarter than you and used his funds wisely when it comes to assistants. A budget is a budget, no, its not mandatory that all the funds be spent! Sheesh! Really easy to tell who has no business acumen here.

Where did I say that? I think it's idiotic to believe that not a single bcs assistant would come here

Baer is coming - he's been a BCS assistant at three programs (Stanford, ND, UW).
Foreman is coming - he's been a BCS assistant under Harbaugh at Stanford.

Slider's overreaction is so obviously unthinking and emotional I have to think he is trolling.

Is 8 SJSU AC's a great thing? I'm leaning towards no. But Slider's making **** up that he can't possibly know. If an inference is there to be made, he's going with worst possible scenario.

Sliders might be a bit over-emotional about it all, but if the speculation floating around is correct, then I think his concerns and criticisms are quite valid.

Sliders might be a bit over-emotional about it all, but if the speculation floating around is correct, then I think his concerns and criticisms are quite valid.
Agreed on his concerns. He's making up **** (at this point) instead of criticizing based on the large amount of information available to him. Who cares how much we are paying the SJSU younglings? Let's focus on which staff members are the head scratchers.

head coaches will hire asst coaches they know, are comfortable with, and that have worked together b4 in the same system.... makes sense that he would want most of his sjst coaches to come with him... they were 10-2 for christsakes!!

head coaches will hire asst coaches they know, are comfortable with, and that have worked together b4 in the same system.... makes sense that he would want most of his sjst coaches to come with him... they were 10-2 for christsakes!!
My main concern is not game day prep and execution - it is more along the lines of recruiting.

he could have augmented the staff with some proven recruiters at this level. he chose not to. football coaches in general are usually brimming with self confidence and this guy is no different. but, he could have made a safer bet than bringing basically all his guys with him. this is not the wac.
His WAC team almost beat Stanford while our game with them was close...until kickoff. So I have no problem with his staff coming here in its entirety if that's what he chooses.

Agreed on his concerns. He's making up **** (at this point) instead of criticizing based on the large amount of information available to him. Who cares how much we are paying the SJSU younglings? Let's focus on which staff members are the head scratchers.

Ok if we pay less than 2.6mil, then fine. I still wouldn't be happy at 8 SJSU assistants. I'll just wait and see

The way I look at it is that it is the new coach's ass on the line. We expect him to win...his job and reputation depend on that...let him bring in whomever he wants. He's going to be the one we blame if it doesn't work. We have to assume he's committed to doing the best he can and choosing the best people he can find that will allow him to succeed. After all, that's where all his personal carrot and stick incentives are.

And part of this may be assembling a staff that he knows well and is in synch with. He might be better able to "hit the ground running" with some sort of continuity if he brings a whole group in together that was already functioning like a well-oiled machine rather than having to try out new pieces and see how they fit during an actual season. What if he brought in a guy like Stitt as OC (as so many here seem to want) and they didn't see eye to eye? (But it took an actual season of miscommunication and dysfunction to figure out that fact?).

Let's trust the man to bring to the table what his coaching record demonstrates he's brought to the table before. It's part of why you hire a guy to begin with.

Slider's overreaction is so obviously unthinking and emotional I have to think he is trolling.

Is 8 SJSU AC's a great thing? I'm leaning towards no. But Slider's making **** up that he can't possibly know. If an inference is there to be made, he's going with worst possible scenario.

He does seem a little more wound up than normal.

Back