What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Staff Reasoned Thoughts/ Meltdown Thread

I'm sure its been brought up but I'm not too worried about recruiting or the ability of the assistants to coach. It's when the duds make themselves known, will Mike MacIntyre fire anyone.

That is the ultimate question.

I'm not concerned with what they're getting paid. I'm concerned about winning football games. MacIntyre can hire whoever he wants to so long as he wins.

I think you have to assume your coach knows what he's doing. That's why you pay him the big bucks. The truth will be revealed over the next two to three years.

Like clockwork we are back to recruiting being a secondary concern. Took all of 3-4 weeks, pretty damn impressive.

You sure are an angry little fella.

dontwanta.gif

Arkansas state at home
fresno state at home
CSU in Denver

If CU does not view anything less than 3-0 as failure then switch to a non-BCS conferene.

What makes you think we should even keep it close with Fresno, much less beat them? A team that put up 55 points against us in less than a half of football. Memories are short around here.

I don't know that we have much choice in the matter. There aren't a ton of Tosh Lupois out there who are banging down our door to come here. It's not that recruiting is unimportant, just that our choices are limited.

Plenty of talk about coaching up players, recruiting success will come with wins, SJSU assistants have built-in relationships, etc.

I'll give you that it is secondary - we are all shell-shocked from 2 years of what happens when you put recruiting first can coaching some where around #23 on the priority list. The reality of it is very few people could have taken this job and put up top-25 recruiting classes over the next 2 years.

I don't know that we have much choice in the matter. There aren't a ton of Tosh Lupois out there who are banging down our door to come here. It's not that recruiting is unimportant, just that our choices are limited.

I am trying to get people to understand that MacIntyre really needs to recruit above CU's reputation right now. He cannot just turn it around on the field with marginal talent, we need some wins on the recruiting trail too. I am not talking top 25 classes, but somehow we have to break the cycle of poor play leading to bad recruiting leading to poor play. He talked the talk about recruiting CA and CO hard, he needs to back it up.

When HCMM states he is going to recruit CA and CO hard, he may mean something different than most on here do. I don't suspect he feels he will win a lot of recruiting battles against Oregon, nor UCLA or ASU. But I think he means he will find the players he needs to get this program better, incrementally, each year. A lot of his SJSU players would help us out right now - fact. He's going to do better than that immediately by filling some needs in what is a very small class.

This WR recruit sort of fits the bill. I'd bet HCMM thinks this kid has something special. But I've always said coaching trumps recruiting. It's fun to follow, but in the end, very few programs recruit themselves out of the abyss, they coach themselves. Unless you bring in a celebrity head coach like a Nick Saban, then your left with doing it the old fashioned way. Rick Neuheisel was the poster boy for fancy recruiting with nothing to back it up. In the end, he may have been what UCLA needed. He got their talent level up, but did not make them better. It took a real staff to do that. I rarely have seen a coach or staff be good at both.

So you think CU will be just fine with every top prospect leaving the state like the last few years? Seriously? I highly doubt MacIntyre believes that to be true.

The $2.6 million pool was so CU could go out and recruit better assistants...that does not appear to be happening so that is disappointing.

What it takes to win at the WAC level is totally different than what it takes to win at the PAC12 level. You can recruit a class of 2 star recruits on a consistent basis and win because everyone else is recruiting 1 and 2 star players. Plus at SJSU they could get JCs to fill holes - 15 in the last 3 classes. The challenges are much different at CU.
:wtf:So there is some double secret password for coaching in a BCS conference that can't be achieved unless you come up in a BCS conference. You have no idea if the new assistants are any good or not but are reaching that conclusion simply based on the conference they came from. We just had a team full of assistants with lots of BCS experience and look what that got us.

Or are you a Bohn hater and are going to complain about anything at all until he is fired or resigns?

What makes you think we should even keep it close with Fresno, much less beat them? A team that put up 55 points against us in less than a half of football. Memories are short around here.

That is obviously a very legit question. My take is that with a real coaching staff in place you should expect a win. JE and staff were totally unqualified. You may not get the win, but a loss should be viewed as a failure, not just a loss. That's just my opinion. If you are a pac12 team, the standard is to win all of these games.

So you think CU will be just fine with every top prospect leaving the state like the last few years? Seriously? I highly doubt MacIntyre believes that to be true.

You would like to see Mack get a recruiting win or two this class, especially in-state. Get some wins on the field next year and get some positive buzz going. With the table set, bring home the bacon in the next class.

Of course, every coach says that. Show me.

:wtf:So there is some double secret password for coaching in a BCS conference that can't be achieved unless you come up in a BCS conference. You have no idea if the new assistants are any good or not but are reaching that conclusion simply based on the conference they came from. We just had a team full of assistants with lots of BCS experience and look what that got us.

Or are you a Bohn hater and are going to complain about anything at all until he is fired or resigns?

I did not say any of what you posted so I don't know why you associated your comments with my post. Simple fact - The increase of the assistant coaching pool funding was to recruit better assistant coaches - no recruiting of coaches is happening.

I don't hate Mike Bohn but I believe him to be totally incompetent for the job he has now and I do not believe that CU football will get better until we have better leadership from the AD. Yes I want Bohn gone and my feeling on the subject have not been a secret. My opinion of Bohn does not invalid my viewpoint the assistant hires.

I did not say any of what you posted so I don't know why you associated your comments with my post. Simple fact - The increase of the assistant coaching pool funding was to recruit better assistant coaches - no recruiting of coaches is happening.

I don't hate Mike Bohn but I believe him to be totally incompetent for the job he has now and I do not believe that CU football will get better until we have better leadership from the AD. Yes I want Bohn gone and my feeling on the subject have not been a secret. My opinion of Bohn does not invalid my viewpoint the assistant hires.
Again, you have no idea of the quality of assistants TunaMac is bringing with him. Thus, you have no idea of whether or not the assistants are worth the money provided.

I think your view of Bohn completely jades your opinion of the assistants hired.

When HCMM states he is going to recruit CA and CO hard, he may mean something different than most on here do. I don't suspect he feels he will win a lot of recruiting battles against Oregon, nor UCLA or ASU.

I get not beating Oregon or USC and probably Stanford in a recruiting battle and there will be recruits that just love UCLA and Cal, but we're already conceding recruiting battles to ASU? As far as I see it, recruits with offers from ASU, UA, Utah, WSU, and OSU should be fair game. Cal and UW are in a middle category where we'll probably lose more than we'll win. But if we can't beat out the likes of ASU for a recruit then this staff is doing something very wrong.

i can tell each and every one of you how good the assistants at CU are going to be.

next december. at the earliest.

but, don't let reality stop your fun. as you were, guys! :lol:

i can tell each and every one of you how good the assistants at CU are going to be.

next december. at the earliest.

but, don't let reality stop your fun. as you were, guys! :lol:

Next December? WTF.

I'm giving it until the spring game, then I'm going to analyze the hell out of it and berate the entire staff how I see fit.

For the record, I actually like MacIntyre and both coordinators.:smile2:

I just think it is important to remember Embree was let go in part because recruiting was going so poorly. MacIntyre has and some of his assistants have coached at multiple BCS schools, they know what BCS-level athletes look like. I highly doubt they are conceding anything on the recruiting trail.

For the record, I actually like MacIntyre and both coordinators.:smile2:

I just think it is important to remember Embree was let go in part because recruiting was going so poorly. MacIntyre has and some of his assistants have coached at multiple BCS schools, they know what BCS-level athletes look like. I highly doubt they are conceding anything on the recruiting trail.

The problem we have is that BCS level athletes don't look at us as a BCS level program. Simply put we have sucked so bad for so long that we aren't on their list if they have options. This won't change until we change it and Embree didn't change it, he made it worse.

The way you start is to win the games you are supposed to. Don't get beat by CSU and Sac State, don't get blown off the field by Fresno State, don't lose to middle level programs in your conference by 40 points.

Once you can start doing these things then some better (still not the best but better) athletes will at least listen to you. If you can convince them that you are on the right path and building something they want to be a part of then you have a chance to improve.

What MM and his staff have shown at SJSU is that they are both pretty good at identifying some guys who other schools may have missed on and on doing the things that gives you credibility to build on on the field. If he can do that in Boulder then we will be on our way but it isn't going to be instant.

Back