What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado @ UCLA 2014 Basketball game thread

This has actually been the least annoying Official Game Thread, to me, I've read all year. I haven't read all of them, but this one doesn't make me want to go back to no one caring about CU bball like some other ones have.

I believe that is required for you now.

It was frustrating as hell, but in hindsight good that we played the yoyo game of down 5, down 10 for a good chunk of the second half. Count me in the not really buying moral victories cliches, but I can live with this since the intensity stayed pretty high and they should be able to maintain the momentum from the previous three games despite the outcome last night.

My critique takeaway from the game was cleaning up the damn silly turnovers. It has gotten dramatically better especially where XT is concerned - but the Ski foot OB while dribbling early, a couple of the passes underneath the basket in the first half, and that tipped halfcourt inbounds pass at the end are all things that just can't happen if you want to hang with a legit top team in their house.

I'm absolutely stunned by the negativity over last night's game.

I can't stand UCLA. To the point where I consistently undervalue them and downplay their accomplishments. I largely blame that on Bruins Nation. That said, it's pretty damn obvious that they're the second best team in the Pac-12 and no one is even close right now. They're 17th in the nation in ORtg and 28th in DRtg. Do you know how many teams are in the top 30 of both? 10. They have one of the two legit candidates for Pac-12 Player of the Year in Kyle Anderson (Nick Johnson is the other). They have the 16th best eFG% rating in the nation and only turn the ball over 15% of the time - good for 18th in the nation while forcing a turnover 21% of the time (36th in the nation).

THIS IS A GOOD TEAM.

We went in there without arguably our top 3 defenders (although, I personally would put XJ #3 ahead of Fletch) and hung with them for a large point of the game. The CU team that sucks on the road hung with the second best team in the conference. Ski had arguably the best game of his career. XJ & Josh were great. JHop played like we hoped he would. XT added 10 points for the team. And while DT's numbers dont' look great, he was aggressive which is something that we've been asking for him for a while.

We have four road games left - USC, Utah, Furd and Cal. We play like we did last night and we go 2-2 in them, possibly even 3-1. That would be a huge success.
Yeah I was thinking if we play like we did last night for the remaining games, we go 4-2, possibly 5-1. That said, I don't think we'll play the kind of first half we did the rest of the year, so I think 4-2 is more likely, 3-3 wouldn't be so bad but I still think we might need a first round victory at least in that scenario.

I think it was having a double digit lead late in the first half. Seen as a missed opportunity because they were there most of the game. I do think the final score kinda sucks. Not indicative of the type of game it was, but if you just looked at the box score (and not everyone watched this game), you would just think this is a typical game for CU in the post-Dinwiddie era against a good team.

Not really into moral victories, but playing close probably looks better to some in the committee
On here we tend to magnify every game that affects CU's chances. I don't think the committee looks nearly as closely as we do because they can't. That's just too much information to compute. At the end of the day, wins/losses matter and then they'll look at margin of victory. But I don't think in the committee they'll say "CU played UCLA so close despite the final score in Westwood, they should be in."

USC simply cannot be a loss. A huge aspect of our resume is our lack of bad losses. If that changes due to a loss at USC, all bets are off.

Agreed. We need to avoid losing @USC and probably Utah down the stretch. All the others (cal/stan/zona/assu) wont be considered bad losses.

Agreed. We need to avoid losing @USC and probably Utah down the stretch. All the others (cal/stan/zona/assu) wont be considered bad losses.

Utah is WAY better than most people are giving them credit for.

I don't think losing to Utah would be a "bad loss." We need to win 3 remaining games, possibly 4 (including the P12 Tourney).

Yes, they are currently inside the top 100 in the 90s and we need it to stay that way because we've got our work cut out for us winning in SLC

Utah and Wyoming both have cracked the top 100, and Georgia sits at 101. Harvard is at 55 and it would really help our profile if they crack the top 50. The resume is quite strong and would be helped tremendously with a win next week. Dare I say two? ASU is solidly in the top 50 at 37. Stanford and Cal are both barely in the top 50 but might drop out if we beat them.

If we only go 2-2 against AZ, ASU, Stanford and Cal, we'd be 5-7 vs. the top 50 RPI and 6-2 vs. 51-100 (assuming Harvard and Georgia move up.) That's a NCAA tournament team. Actually, it'd be 7-2 or 6-3 vs. 51-100 depending on the Utah game. Still good enough.

Do you guys think Wes will play vs SC? Tell me Walton is not doing the game. I would give secrets to the Russians (is this 1984?) to never listen to Bill Walton again. 20 hours later....still annoyed.

I agree. He is a great ambassador for the PAC-12.
He's really grown on me. I used to say, I just don't want him doing CU games, but I didn't find him so bad last night. Might've helped that CU wasn't really in the game at the end. Whatever game he did last year, it was really close at the end and he was completely off-topic, that annoyed me even though I liked him.

One Question with all due respect, did you as a poster ever play sports?
I do not mean to sound stupid. I am just asking.

Do you guys think Wes will play vs SC? Tell me Walton is not doing the game. I would give secrets to the Russians (is this 1984?) to never listen to Bill Walton again. 20 hours later....still annoyed.

I know he's close. He's off crutches and practiced with the team ahead of the UCLA game (per Will @ Rivals). He was a game time decision last night.

2r4qy.jpg

But I don't think in the committee they'll say "CU played UCLA so close despite the final score in Westwood, they should be in."

I don't think they would say that either. But they might say, after the injury to Dinwiddie, CU played Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA (x2) and all games were double digit losses. The game to UCLA isn't that big of a deal on its own, but it certainly could be if the Buffs don't find a way to beat some good teams in their final 6 games

I don't think they would say that either. But they might say, after the injury to Dinwiddie, CU played Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA (x2) and all games were double digit losses. The game to UCLA isn't that big of a deal on its own, but it certainly could be if the Buffs don't find a way to beat some good teams in their final 6 games
I agree with this, I think getting a good post-Spencer win especially on the road would be great.

It's worse when you don't mean to sound stupid. It means you don't have the choice. Good job.

I believe that is required for you now.

It was frustrating as hell, but in hindsight good that we played the yoyo game of down 5, down 10 for a good chunk of the second half. Count me in the not really buying moral victories cliches, but I can live with this since the intensity stayed pretty high and they should be able to maintain the momentum from the previous three games despite the outcome last night.

My critique takeaway from the game was cleaning up the damn silly turnovers. It has gotten dramatically better especially where XT is concerned - but the Ski foot OB while dribbling early, a couple of the passes underneath the basket in the first half, and that tipped halfcourt inbounds pass at the end are all things that just can't happen if you want to hang with a legit top team in their house.

I don't have to do anything.

Back