What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

We averaged 50K in 2011 and basketball attendance has risen drastically. Show progress on the field to where the home games are fun to go to and Folsom will be full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basketball is doing much better than 500, cheaper (more bang for your buck), and a sellout is ~11k (as opposed to 53k). If they do as well as basketball, it will be packed, no doubt.

Caissons for the loge boxes on Dal Ward went in yesterday, should see some more tangible progress over the next couple of days.

You can't compare the fan base of the Buffs to that of the Broncos. I labored for years under the illusion that if CU would just start winning, and winning big, coupled with a decline in the fortunes of the Broncos, that we would see a shift in the passions of local football fans. That was a false hope. I've come to the conclusion that it wouldn't matter if the Broncos went 1-15 while the Buffs were in the MNC game - CU would still play second fiddle to the Broncos in Colorado. That's just the way it is. You're never going to convince a bus driver in Denver to follow CU football.

We averaged 50K in 2011 and basketball attendance has risen drastically. Show progress on the field to where the home games are fun to go to and Folsom will be full.

To be fair that was a mike Bohn 50k which is likely made up of 5-10% free tickets

You can't compare the fan base of the Buffs to that of the Broncos. I labored for years under the illusion that if CU would just start winning, and winning big, coupled with a decline in the fortunes of the Broncos, that we would see a shift in the passions of local football fans. That was a false hope. I've come to the conclusion that it wouldn't matter if the Broncos went 1-15 while the Buffs were in the MNC game - CU would still play second fiddle to the Broncos in Colorado. That's just the way it is. You're never going to convince a bus driver in Denver to follow CU football.

^^This^^

It is culturally two completely different things.

That said I think that conditions are prime right now to build a solid support base for CU football. The area surrounding Boulder has grown tremendously and much of that growth is in a demographic that fits college football, educated, above average income, and maturing families meaning that as the kids move on dad is going to have disposable income and the time to fill that used to be filled with kids activities.

Put a quality product on the field which means that fans can have a reasonable expectation of winning most home games, make the game experience enjoyable meaning parking/access, concessions, bathrooms, non-game entertainment (pre- and post-game activities, scoreboard, etc.,) and do some quality promoting and you have a good chance to capture a significant number of these people as paying fans.

Even during the glory years of McCartney we didn't sell out every game but times have changed in terms of the marketplace. The available population to draw on has increased significantly but the number of seats hasn't. They should be able to significantly increase revenues if they just take the needed steps to make it an entertainment value.

It's not like Wisconsin didn't have this same issue with local sports fans and their passion for the Packers. It's not like Washington isn't dealing with it in relation to the Seahawks. Or Cal/Stanford with the 49ers/Raiders.

Wisconsin is the blueprint, though. It's amazing what they did in both football and basketball. The new facilities, increased fan support and sustained success have been amazing.

Do I think CU football will ever surpass or even challenge the Broncos? Hell, no. But I do believe that this is a large enough metro to support a packed house of great fans and a high local tv rating for CU games if the Buffs are winning and the AD is doing its job on the marketing/PR front.

The Broncos just finished #5 in most popular sports teams in a 12 month ESPN poll. **** ESPN, but still.

It's not like Wisconsin didn't have this same issue with local sports fans and their passion for the Packers. It's not like Washington isn't dealing with it in relation to the Seahawks. Or Cal/Stanford with the 49ers/Raiders.

Wisconsin is the blueprint, though. It's amazing what they did in both football and basketball. The new facilities, increased fan support and sustained success have been amazing.

Do I think CU football will ever surpass or even challenge the Broncos? Hell, no. But I do believe that this is a large enough metro to support a packed house of great fans and a high local tv rating for CU games if the Buffs are winning and the AD is doing its job on the marketing/PR front.

I completely agree. There's enough to go around. The Denver Metro Area has over 2MM people. Win, have a good facility and great gameday experience, and engage the current students to make them long-term supporters of the program, and the attendance will take care of itself.

I think Wisconsin is more college-friendly and Denver as a whole is more of a pro sports town. Not to mention, Madison is double the amount of time in relation to Milwaukee and certainly, Green Bay) than Boulder is to Denver. I do agree if we played as well as Wisco does despite the Broncos and other pro sports, that the games would be well attended and ratings would be high.

I see this with the Terps and the Baltimore/DC teams especially MD football. No matter what they do, they'll always be behind the Ravens and Redskins. Basketball is a different story with the lack of a pro team in Baltimore and even though CP is right outside of DC, many side with the state affiliation of a college team instead of another city.

I graduated HS in Denver in '97. I remember crowding around a TV with at least a dozen other kids for the majority of the Buffs football games. Only 1 or 2 of the kids weren't CU legacies. In fact many of them weren't even born in Colorado. Put a decent product on the field, and you'll get back the CU grads. Win like those teams did, and you'll get Colorado.

I graduated HS in Denver in '97. I remember crowding around a TV with at least a dozen other kids for the majority of the Buffs football games. Only 1 or 2 of the kids weren't CU legacies. In fact many of them weren't even born in Colorado. Put a decent product on the field, and you'll get back the CU grads. Win like those teams did, and you'll get Colorado.

Same for me. Graduated a bit earlier, but pretty much everyone supported CU back then. Textbook demolition of a program and fan base.

Broncos are great. But even as a non-CU grad, I appreciate the huge difference between the quality of prople who attend Broncos games (mostly blue collar) and CU games (college grads). It is such a better experience at CU. Not even close. Plus I can watch every Bronco game in high quality for free. Give me CU any day of the week (and twice on Saturdays!)

totally agree with this. and if you get colorado the nation will follow...

Was just looking at the new touchdown club -- having the new seating next to the ancient bleachers is going to look odd. I hadn't heard anything lately on the seat backs, assuming that's part of the next phase if we get there?

ecurlhttp3a2f2fpacmail.jpg

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'm putting this here.

Anyone know the timeline on the Buffalo Highway project (aka Hwy 36) and the widening of Hwy 93 between Boulder and Golden? Also, any word on the 470 toll road linking up from Broomfield down to the Golden & Lakewood areas?

One of the things that is going to drive attendance (especially when it's a game time that puts people in rush traffic), is going to be making it easier for people in Denver and Douglas County to get to Boulder. Short-term, all the construction going on in 2015, it's going to have a negative impact on attendance for this year's football and basketball seasons.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'm putting this here.

Anyone know the timeline on the Buffalo Highway project (aka Hwy 36) and the widening of Hwy 93 between Boulder and Golden? Also, any word on the 470 toll road linking up from Broomfield down to the Golden & Lakewood areas?

One of the things that is going to drive attendance (especially when it's a game time that puts people in rush traffic), is going to be making it easier for people in Denver and Douglas County to get to Boulder. Short-term, all the construction going on in 2015, it's going to have a negative impact on attendance for this year's football and basketball seasons.
a majority of the douglas county people who i know take highway 93 to go to the basketball games

Isn't it something like three more years?

From phone

I believe the full project is 2018 or 2019. But there are some main chokepoints into and out of Boulder that seem pretty far along or about to get jamming. Chief among these are the corridor through Broomfield and the exit ramp overhaul for Superior/Louisville.

Also, does anyone know if Cherryvale Rd is becoming an exit from Buffalo Hwy? It looks like that's what is going on there, but I don't know for sure. That would be a big change for Boulder and its traffic patterns.

I posted earlier that the new temporary recycling/facilities are just about complete. We should really start seeing some real progress over the next month. The old facilities will be torn down starting this week.

You cant really compare Wisco and CU because once you put Madison next to Boulder it all falls apart. Madison supports that school and embrace the athletic programs.

With a hat tip to SD Buff (and BuffStampede's bandwidth)...

Construction crew doing work! Recycling center demolished today.

Yesterday:
ec

Today:
ec

On the C470 loop completion: Our "friends" in Golden have steadfastly and successfully fought every attempt to complete the loop. I personally have given up on this ever becoming a reality.

On the C470 loop completion: Our "friends" in Golden have steadfastly and successfully fought every attempt to complete the loop. I personally have given up on this ever becoming a reality.

Yeah. It's strange that for once, it's not Boulder holding up a project like this. Even Boulder County supports it, which I find very uncharacteristic.

[video=youtube;YvDzlc0KCvk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvDzlc0KCvk&list=UUeTemrMnh7mAtN99BD6jo4Q[/video]

Didn't realize it was already posted

The first half of this interview was rough for me to listen to. Barnett closed it out well, but something about his delivery/wording in the beginning just irritated me. Anyone else get that vibe from the video?

The first half of this interview was rough for me to listen to. Barnett closed it out well, but something about his delivery/wording in the beginning just irritated me. Anyone else get that vibe from the video?

not really ... that's just how GB is

Back