What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs ASU game day thread

Bad breaks happen. But ffs, the DB hitting the ball UP is a problem. Those are fundamentals.

KOA is full of idiots.
He smacked that thing hard enough, it should have been incomplete. Poor fundamentals sure, but it should have worked. That TD and the Fumble recovery TD were two of the unluckiest things I have ever seen for CU

They are looking only for homers on KOA. CU going into bunker-mode mentality.

Last edited:
He smacked that thing hard enough, it should have been incomplete. Poor fundamentals sure, but it should have worked. That TD and the Fumble recovery TD were two of the unluckiest things I have ever seen for CU

Bad luck happens. But you know what they say about luck right? When hard work meets opportunity.

The team has to have everything go their way. That's a problem and it's a mental issue.

On the batted ball, you can't fault him. He got up as high as he could and hit the ball off his fingers. It wasn't like he could control where he batted it. I scared the dog on that one. I don't yell much anymore. But I let out a few terse words on that play. The dog got up and left.

Positioning did play a big part of the luck plays. On the fumble we may have had a player in the area for the recovery or a chance at a stop if they weren't all having to go assist making the tackle in the backfield to begin with.

On the tipped pass, the receiver was in the right area of an accurate pass and any minor deflection would still deliver it to the vicinity of the intended area. This is where good teams separate themselves.

A little Sunday morning bargaining. I was encouraged by Sefo's play after the first quarter. He looked a lot better. Hopefully, that will carry over. So there's that.

Special teams was....well....special teams-I still don't understand why Toby Neinas is still here if we're taking stupid penalities on punts and getting our own punts blocked (I would be suprised if we don't lead the nation in that area). Sefo got better as the game went on and still took a beating. I, for one, am concerned by him playing if he isn't healthy enough to practice (mentioned by Yogi Roth last night)-We've got enough issues on the offensive line without them having to deal with having different quarterbacks during the week than the one we send out on Saturdays.

The situation with Mac is damned touchy. If he is fired, we probably lose this recruiting class, will have to pay buy outs and will be starting over yet again.

Numerous recruits are from down south (Leavitt recruits). Leavitt isn't hanging his hat on Sefo either (Montez anyone).... If Leavitt comes in now, he gets a partial recruiting cycle before next season. Additionally, I doubt Leavitt will allow the same O line blocking schemes and would clean house with assistant coaches (hopefully keeping Troy Walters). Bottomline, Mac has won vs. Hawaii and CSU. The rest of his wins are against Southern Arkansas State (or whoever they were), Umass and Nichols. He has a proven track record of losing and continues to keep CU in the cellar. There is zero reason to keep him. RG pull the plug, stop the bleeding. The players are working harder, they deserve better coaching and recruiting

Special teams was....well....special teams-I still don't understand why Toby Neinas is still here if we're taking stupid penalities on punts and getting our own punts blocked (I would be suprised if we don't lead the nation in that area). Sefo got better as the game went on and still took a beating. I, for one, am concerned by him playing if he isn't healthy enough to practice (mentioned by Yogi Roth last night)-We've got enough issues on the offensive line without them having to deal with having different quarterbacks during the week than the one we send out on Saturdays.
If you are going to blame Neinas for stupid plays by players, then blame Lindgren for Sefo's stupid turnovers, Leavitt for defenders being out of position, etc.

Witherspoon did a terrific job getting a hand on that ball. He was at the top of his leap and had no way to control the direction.

Brandon Stokely Vs. Cincinnati.

If you are going to blame Neinas for stupid plays by players, then blame Lindgren for Sefo's stupid turnovers, Leavitt for defenders being out of position, etc.

I ask myself this every Saturday watching this team-Am I seeing progress? Defensively, I would say yes. More turnovers this year than last......and I wasn't expecting this group to do what Michigan has done the last three weeks. Special teams? One issue after another. Two blocked punts in this age (with the shield) is inexcusable. The first one was Kinney's first punt as a college athlete, but last night's block should not have happened-and thats on Toby Neinas for not working with Kinney to get the punt off quicker. Offensively? I'd say the offense has regressed, and all of that blame goes on Sefo/Lindgren. Brian Lindgren is not and never has been a good play caller in my opinion. I blame the staff as a whole with respect to Sefo-I admire the kid's toughness and heart, but if he's the best option we have at QB-then thats pretty damning evidence that MM and staff have and are failing on the recruiting trail.

I ask myself this every Saturday watching this team-Am I seeing progress? Defensively, I would say yes. More turnovers this year than last......and I wasn't expecting this group to do what Michigan has done the last three weeks. Special teams? One issue after another. Two blocked punts in this age (with the shield) is inexcusable. The first one was Kinney's first punt as a college athlete, but last night's block should not have happened-and thats on Toby Neinas for not working with Kinney to get the punt off quicker. Offensively? I'd say the offense has regressed, and all of that blame goes on Sefo/Lindgren. Brian Lindgren is not and never has been a good play caller in my opinion. I blame the staff as a whole with respect to Sefo-I admire the kid's toughness and heart, but if he's the best option we have at QB-then thats pretty damning evidence that MM and staff have and are failing on the recruiting trail.

To me, the incremental improvement discussion is now irrelevant. We just lost our 13th consecutive conference game. Losing both games this year by double digit points. We are a bad football team. I'm no longer digging for statistics to show that we've improved. I'm looking no further that the W-L record.

So, Neinas doesn't work with the punter to get his punts off quicker? And you know this how? And, listen, I don't want to defend the guy. If he's let go, it won't bother me at all. But sometimes I think the criticisms are more emotional than factually based.

Are we really arguing if the SPECIAL TEAMS COACH is responsible for issues with that area of the team?

Reactions: SBG
Are we really arguing if the SPECIAL TEAMS COACH is responsible for issues with that area of the team?
Nope. All coaches are responsible for issues with his area of the team. I'd say, from where I sit, several coaches, including the head coach, are on shaky ground.

Nope. All coaches are responsible for issues with his area of the team. I'd say, from where I sit, several coaches, including the head coach, are on shaky ground.

I just get tired of hearing any sort of defense for Neinas. He does not belong at the P5 level and it is reflected in his overall resume. It was a bad hire at the time and remains so now.

I just get tired of hearing any sort of defense for Neinas. He does not belong at the P5 level and it is reflected in his overall resume. It was a bad hire at the time and remains so now.
Why is he still here? Besides poor recruiting, this is my biggest beef with Mike. I was ready to fire Neinas after the first year in the job. He is not a recruiter, and his coaching is at best subpar. Baer was a better DC than Neinas is a STC, and neither belong on a P5 staff.

I don't disagree. But it's one thing to defend him and another to take issue with illogical criticisms. Or at least criticisms made without basis.

Mac talking. "Rushing numbers skewed by sacks. Gotta stop shooting ourselves in the foot. We do it every Pac 12 game and I don't know why. We have to find a way to stop it. Arizona is another team we can beat. We can beat any team in the Pac 12. We have to stop making mistakes."
Sweet Jesus.

Mac talking. "Rushing numbers skewed by sacks. Gotta stop shooting ourselves in the foot. We do it every Pac 12 game and I don't know why. We have to find a way to stop it. Arizona is another team we can beat. We can beat any team in the Pac 12. We have to stop making mistakes."

What the **** ?

The situation with Mac is damned touchy. If he is fired, we probably lose this recruiting class, will have to pay buy outs and will be starting over yet again. I'd imagine we are pretty cash strapped right now with the building program we have to pay for and the less than expected cash flow from the Pac 12. I wouldn't mind a change, but I think Rick George almost has to give him another year. Next year he'll have a veteran team and, hopefully, healthy players.

I've got a couple questions I was hoping somebody here could answer-First, didn't George submit a balanced budget this past summer? (denverpost.com was where I thought I heard that). We're definitely in a much better shape financially-he's done a phenomenal job with cutting back on the luxuries (paying to have the C-Unit at the conference tournament or NCAA tournament). Second, isn't this class coming in going to be 12-14 at most? If you're considering making a change, don't you need to do it after this year? Thats where the Leavitt to HC thing makes even more sense-Our odds of keeping the kids he and Tumpkin have gotten out of Florida and Georgia increase. Our odds of keeping the good recruiters outside of he and Tumpkin (referring to Walters for sure and maybe Clark) increase. His unit loves him from what I read, so I'd think he minimizes attrition to an extent. Most of all, he's got something we haven't had since Barnett on a resume-success at the BCS/P5 level.

Back