What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Drexel @ Colorado Game Thread - 11/14/2014

I just don't understand why Gordon gets the minutes he does. I'd surround 4 shooters around Scott.

With Gordon on the floor teams are much less able to deal with Scott by pushing and shoving and getting physical. It also means Scott doesn't have to defend the opponents most physical player.

Josh is an absolute beast out there. I know it's only Drexel, but they are not a cupcake team (Alcorn St., Coppin St., Chicago St. etc.)

XT looked real good tonight and Tory Miller is a large human being.

Don't know if it was mentioned but the PAC12 network streamed the game for free. I thought I heard them say that they were going to stream the first few games for free.

XJ and Wes didn't start for disciplinary reasons tonight.

Dom didn't play and won't play against Auburn for disciplinary reasons.

Ski didn't start because he's missed the last week of practice with a concussion and just got cleared yesterday.

Considering that it was the 1st game and things were more disjointed than normal with all that going on, I'm ecstatic about a 17 point win over a solid opponent.

Agreed. Solid win. The team needs to improve, but what team doesn't at this stage in the season?

We need to find someone who can take the ball to the hole and either score or get a foul if teams are double-teaming Scott, though. Same problem as last year.

Good:

We got a 17 point win over a team known for giving power conference programs fits. This wasn't Grambling.

Josh Scott. 21 pts, 11 boards. Enough said.

Xavier Talton: 8 points, 4 boards. He is improved and that's huge.

Tory Miller: Dude is going to be a straight monster as he develops.

Attendance: 10,058

Bad:

XJ, Wes and Dom need to cut whatever **** they're up to out.

Ski is recovering from a concussion, but 2/14 isn't going to fly.

Stalzer. 8 mins, 3 turnovers. No.

Some of my thoughts from the game.

The crowd was a bit lackluster tonight. Took a long time to fill in, but there just wasn't a ton of energy in the building.

So Talton was the most improved player by far. His defense is so much better and just playing so well within the offense. His outside shot is beautiful and he looks much more comfortable driving to the basket.

Gordon is my 2nd most improved. His defense is just so good. He is one of the glue guys that this team needs. If he takes 5-6 shots a game and makes 4 of them, that is exactly what we need. Scott, ski and XJ are going to take 30 shots between the 3 of them, so there just isn't that many opportunities to go around.

Thomas gets my 3rd most improved. He looks a lot better than he did last year. Still have trouble leaning into guys when the drive, so I'm disappointed that he didn't clean that up from last year. His vision was great. I still want to see him take a few more shots.

So I am a little bummed out with JHop and XJ. They both look so disinterested at times out there. XJ in particular lacks that competitive fire and doesn't look like he took his game to the next level. Hopefully it was just an off night.

Scott is a complete beast. Drexel had no answer for him. He was just truly unstoppable. I'm gonna enjoy every minute this year.

Ski was actually playing an amazing game until there was about 10 minutes left. He defense was so tenacious and he wasn't forcing shots. I think he was something like 2-4 from the floor with 5 points and I was thinking to myself how restrained he looked this year. Then he goes on a tear and starts jacking up shots left and right and I think missing something like 10 in a row. I don't know what the hell he was thinking. If he has an off night, he has enough offensive talent around him to just play defense and set other guys up. That made me really like the starting 5 of Talton, DT, Scott, Jhop and Fletch. They played great defense and actually a more controlled offense than when Ski and XJ were in the game.

The offense looked better at times, but still way too much standing around. It felt like every 5 possessions, they would have guys cutting but it still looked like last years offense way too much but the defense was very improved from last year.

Crazy thing is that some of those white guys in at the end are probably better basketball players than some of the guys getting regular time on some of our teams before Buzz/Tad.

This is a deep team. We have a bench full of guys who could be starters for a lot of good teams. Individuals may have bad nights but Tad has a lot of options if he wants them.

Also means that if somebody doesn't want to work the way that Tad wants he isn't forced to play them, makes the whole team better.

Crazy thing is that some of those white guys in at the end are probably better basketball players than some of the guys getting regular time on some of our teams before Buzz/Tad.

This is a deep team. We have a bench full of guys who could be starters for a lot of good teams. Individuals may have bad nights but Tad has a lot of options if he wants them.

Also means that if somebody doesn't want to work the way that Tad wants he isn't forced to play them, makes the whole team better.

I wouldn't go that far, but the skill level of our walk on players has increased quite a bit since Tad got here. There is no more open tryouts from the general student body to get practice players, these are guys that could play at smaller schools and get minutes.

Agree with Tante. Nice job. See his post re: why I'm baffled by XJ.

I saw him hi-five #14 in the first half. He always looks like he is trying to get twitter followers from the opposing team instead of dunking on their stupid faces.

Lots of preseason talk about Fortune, but no minutes. Any reason he didn't get in, even during garbage time?

I wouldn't go that far, but the skill level of our walk on players has increased quite a bit since Tad got here. There is no more open tryouts from the general student body to get practice players, these are guys that could play at smaller schools and get minutes.

A bit of hyperbole but also some truth. We had a lot of years where we had some guys getting regular minutes off the bench who were small school talents. Not saying that I want to see any of these guys playing when the game is still in the balance but Tad has found some decent balplayers to walk-on.

Your mention of practice players is important since these guys can give a better simulation of some of our opponents in practice, make us a better team even if they don't play.

Agree with Tante. Nice job. See his post re: why I'm baffled by XJ.

XJ will be fine. That's just a hunch, of course, but at this point I say we marvel at the much improved shot release. He'll get it together. Hopkins too. Not that worried.

It seemed a pretty great off-season all around. Everyone looks bigger or leaner, quicker, stronger. We still need that guard poise we've been seeking since Din went down, the guy who acts as a nervine for the whole gym as soon as the ball's in his hands. It's not completely out of reach. Talton has a certain dose. Ski, for a good length of the game, played calm and collected. Went a bit hare-brained and trigger-happy toward the end there, but it's still the Wild West in spirit, so we can cut him some slack, right?

Waiting for Dom. It's like a Becket play. Curiouser and curiouser.

Got to love Fletch, Gordon, Thomas, and Miller though. Scott can be lauded in silence at this point, for he's as steady as they come, and steady as they go.

Can't expect it all to be there in the first game. The offense has more to it even if we're not quite seeing it yet. Passing vision is improved across practically the entire team. I can't prove too much of that yet, but there's something below the surface you can pick up on.

Everything is different, but the same...things are more moderner than before...bigger, and yet smaller...it's computers...

CUcollegebasketballrules!

Back