What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Drexel @ Colorado Game Thread - 11/14/2014

MJ Suspected that XJ & Wes' "disciplinary actions" were due to being late for the team bus v pitt last march....

Talton was really good. Wes remains the most underrated player on this team, IMO. Miller is going to be a great addition. Thomas, Hopkins and Fletcher have all gotten better. Ski being Ski. I hope I don't see Eli Stalzer in another game before garbage time. Jelly is, well, in another universe. Drexel had no answer for him.

Methinks I'm going to enjoy watching Tory miller paired with Wes in the next few years

Regarding attendance, Pac12 teams who played at home tonight:

Arizona (vs Mount St Mary's): 14,655
Colorado (vs Drexel): 10,058
Utah (vs Ball St): 9,855
Cal (vs Alcorn St): 7,212
UCLA (vs Montana St): 6,523
Arizona St (vs Chicago St): 5,295
Oregon St (vs Rice): 4,759
Washington (vs South Carolina St): 2,898

Oregon, Stanford numbers not in yet.

Last edited:
Thought our spacing wiith new O was improved, but we'll probably have to wait to see how the team performs when jelly's doubled to say how effective it was.

Talton did look solid. Made good decisions. I've been a skeptic because I think he struggles a little more getting into the paint than some of our past options and, with our typical offense, that's a lot to overcome. But I don't think it's going to be easy to take minutes from him if he keeps playing like he did tonight.

Wes Gordon, who shot 60 percent from the line last year, went 5 of 6 last night. Knock on wood but I'll be really happy if that trend continues.

DT also had a nice game. He could really be one of the pleasant surprises that comes from getting our bigs more looks from the elbow.

I Just listened and the feed wasn't worth a **** for some reason. We've been having crappy weather so maybe that. Anyway, made it hard to follow. I don't like reading about the discipline issues of a certain 3, need to fix that real quick. How the hell did Ski get a concussion? Weird injury for basketball.

It was great to see a packed student section last night! Well Done!! :thumbsup:

Not a bad start to the season. The team depth is noticeable and should be a huge plus for the season going forward. Even more impressive given one of the more talented players never saw the floor.

On the plus side -
- Scott continues to improve.
- Talton looked like he took a huge step forward. I thought he ran the offense better than Ski.
- Gordon, looks very improved and much more comfortable out there.
- Defense looked solid and aggressive
- Ski's defense was solid

On the minus side -
- XJ still doesn't seem to play with a brain installed. Same 'stupid aggressive' plays... not 'smart aggressive'
- Eli cannot be trusted with the ball and didn't show any shooting ability to counteract his inability to pass.
- Outside shooting has not progressed whatsoever. This team with an outside shooting capability would be a very hard team to beat.
- Difficulty stopping good 3-pt shooters (was Drexel's poor 3pt shooting in the 2nd half due to their cold shooting or our better defense?)
- Ski looked helter-skelter on offense again. Sure, he missed a fair amount of practice and looked to be pressing, but when he goes in the crazy mode it tends to take everyone else out of an actual offense.

Overall, very pleased with the look of the team. This could be a very good year for the Buffs. I look forward to watching the next game... on DVR. :huh:

For all our speculation over the offseason about who got stronger, put on good weight, etc., I thought jelly looked significantly stronger than last year ... and that's saying something. He was no slouch, physically, last year.

For all our speculation over the offseason about who got stronger, put on good weight, etc., I thought jelly looked significantly stronger than last year ... and that's saying something. He was no slouch, physically, last year.

I also thought fletch looked like a man out there too. Maybe it's just because he wasn't there down the stretch though.

TV said he is squatting 450. I'm impressed.

Lots of good recaps and comments so I will refrain from hitting the obvious points.

My few others -
Tad's comments on the disciplinary stuff made it sound like it was over and done, (Dom has another game) basically kids have to be held accountable and clean the laundry after the summer.
Read up on Rumblins recaps of the P12 if you want to know about programs with real discipline issues.
I was impressed most by the change in Thomas. Others may have made higher end strides, but Thomas seemed to be a more all around asset this year in all aspects.
Miller.....um yeah
There were some sick passing/individual ball movement plays on drives. I think more of the athleticism from the young guys that was reported from summer last year has now caught up to the college game and will make some of this year's games 'popcorn' affairs.
Offensive rebounds were coming, but at times early in the second half I was wondering why we didn't kick back for a minimal reset instead of clanking iron three times in a row. I know we will never live in the half court set - but let your bigs at least know we have the ball and then get a foul or good look.
Free throws - does every team start slow? Seems like every year before Thanksgiving it is a 50/50 prospect....I know it may have been better, (haven't looked at stats) but I anticipate improvements again here.
New emphasis on drawing the charge? We seemed much better on setting and drawing, and much less prone to drawing fouls on their drives.

If Ski was one day back and a couple of guys have now cleaned up responsibilities to Tad there should be another nice tic. On Ski, while he did go on his Don Quixote style search of a basket at the end, it seemed more comical in his facial features than the frustration/desperation we saw in years past. No worries with Ski, it will be all good.

Did we really start that slow? We beat a team that will finish between 100 and 200 in rpi by almost 20 points. I think we played pretty similar to how we will look this season.

Did we really start that slow? We beat a team that will finish between 100 and 200 in rpi by almost 20 points. I think we played pretty similar to how we will look this season.
Nah we started slow, mainly because of the lineup variations. Plus, everything seemed to die when Saltzer came in

Nah we started slow, mainly because of the lineup variations. Plus, everything seemed to die when Saltzer came in

Tad's postgame interview on 850 talked about how Dom will be a presence when he does come back. I think those minutes changing over will be big - Tad specifically mentioned the decisions he makes with the ball.

It was 11-3 5 minutes in. Then we scored one point in the next 5 when Scott wasn't in the game and Stalzer (who actually played good defense) started his turnover fest.

I think it may have been a bad lineup instead is a slow start.

Ski, Stalzer, Wes, Miller and XJ was that 2nd 5.

It was 11-3 5 minutes in. Then we scored one point in the next 5 when Scott wasn't in the game and Stalzer (who actually played good defense) started his turnover fest.

I think it may have been a bad lineup instead is a slow start.

Ski, Stalzer, Wes, Miller and XJ was that 2nd 5.
Either way I think we can agree that Staltzer shouldn't see the floor

Not going to go quite that far - he has the Jake Plummer - 'I'm a crazy mountain man and I know where you live' beard. That has power.

While I am excited to see what Dom brings it is very likely that Eli is still seeing 5-8 mins, and while there were issues - think of years past when our second five would just completely collapse. We were not at that point last night, and I think Eli still has a role to fill. It is just nice that we don't have to depend on him becoming a player he may not be, for the team to have success.

Not going to go quite that far - he has the Jake Plummer - 'I'm a crazy mountain man and I know where you live' beard. That has power.

While I am excited to see what Dom brings it is very likely that Eli is still seeing 5-8 mins, and while there were issues - think of years past when our second five would just completely collapse. We were not at that point last night, and I think Eli still has a role to fill. It is just nice that we don't have to depend on him becoming a player he may not be, for the team to have success.

What's his role? He doesn't shoot well, isn't a good passer, turns the ball over, and struggles on defense. I just don't see the value in having him out there, l which is good because Dom will take those minutes soon.

I want to see this rotation.

XT
Ski
XJ
Wes
Scott

DT
Fletch
Miller
Jhop
Dom

That is already a 10 man rotation. Who do you take out of the bottom 5 group to get it to 8?

I want to see this rotation.

XT
Ski
XJ
Wes
Scott

DT
Fletch
Miller
Jhop
Dom

That is already a 10 man rotation. Who do you take out of the bottom 5 group to get it to 8?

Too early to say for sure, I bet Miller and Dom are the most likely given their age. DT looked good, same with Fletch and Jaron so it's tough.

Last edited:
We did manage to hit 70% from the line last night, which is solid. If Jelly and ski get the bulk of our free throws, we'll be better than that. If XJ, J-Hop and Gordon are sent to the line a lot we could see some rough nights, although Gordon was solid (5-6) last night.

Free throws - does every team start slow? Seems like every year before Thanksgiving it is a 50/50 prospect....I know it may have been better, (haven't looked at stats) but I anticipate improvements again here.

My concern right now is the same as it was heading into the season.

I think we have an Elite 8 frontcourt.

I think we are pairing it with an NIT backcourt.

The guards have to develop for this team to reach its potential. Last night, I thought I saw way too much of XT and Ski trying to be Spencer instead of playing their game and letting the offense come to them. XT, especially, shouldn't force penetration. Ski has shown he can be effectively wild at times.

Booker needs to stop forcing things when his shot isn't going in, he can facilitate when he wants to. If I was Pearl on Monday I'd try some zone and double Scott every time he gets it, make him get the ball to someone else. Outside shooting and defending 3 still weak spots. Overall thought ball movement was better. Besides Scott who is awesome, thought Talton, Gordon, and Thomas stood out.

Back