What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread - CU at Washington

Sorry, but the problem is that we have players getting big minutes that just plain suck about 75% of the time.
This. We have too many guys on this team just taking up space. Sure ... Talton, Fletcher, Fortune, Gordon, Miller et al are going to occasionally have a good game, give you hope that they're turning the corner to being consistent offensive threats. But none of those guys look like the 3-4 slasher/creaters or athletic bigs that the elite Pac 12 teams always seem to have.

This. We have too many guys on this team just taking up space. Sure ... Talton, Fletcher, Fortune, Gordon, Miller et al are going to occasionally have a good game, give you hope that they're turning the corner to being consistent offensive threats. But none of those guys look like the 3-4 slasher/creaters or athletic bigs that the elite Pac 12 teams always seem to have.
Those guys are all role players (with the exception of Fortune when he's playing to his ability) and should never all be on the court together (which seems to happen far too often) or expected to execute a half court offense effectively

Wes pulled his magic disappearing act again.

When he doesn't have scott to play off of, we're hosed

Tad pissed. Mentioned Brown and Peters coming in next year. Said if they play D and consistantly, they'll get more minutes than they'll know what to do with. He said other guys need to step up. Said aside from Josh, no one else is consistant. Said it must drive fans crazy to see a guy play great one night and then the next wondering if the guy even showed up.

Last edited:
So weird how the cast of posters after wins and losses is completely different.

No doubt.

Isn't much to say about tonight (but that won's stop me :D). Sometimes you run into a buzzsaw on a night when your team doesn't have its usual bounce.

Turnovers in the 1st half leading to so many open court points was a killer.
Getting beat badly on the glass.
UW having a shot blocking party.
Refs calling it a certain way (letting them play on reach-ins and body contact) favored UW's style.
Bench struggled on the road and were different players than at home (pretty typical of teams).
UW shooting lights out.

Biggest positive from tonight has to be Dom if he builds on this and stays in attack mode on offense. As we've been saying going back to the preseason, Dom taking that step or not determines this team's ceiling. His play tonight was a very promising sign (and he's been really good the past couple games).

I agree. Coaching down the stretch was terrible. Talton played way too often and looked like **** the entire game. He had 1pt I think. Tad has problems calling timeouts when teams go on runs. I don't get it. Utah and this game, poor clock management. Our defense was lazy and team looked shook in the paint.

So who'll be the interim HC coach on Saturday? Rohn or Pri?

Unfortunate game, thought this team might be a step up on the road from prior years (and it still could prove to be). Not that surprising, Some Oregon fans are no doubt still moaning about losing to the Buffs and dismissing the home court advantage. When we have a team that can win 2/3 of P12 road games, it will be something special. Meanwhile, WSU is a crucial game, if we're going to win a couple more conference road games, this is one of them.

Just home from the game and a few thoughts on tonight's performance. Pac 12 refs blow as always. You have to know Andrews is going to shoot and shoot some more, not sure why we gave him so many open shots. We were owned on the boards, absolutely abused, Wes Gordon was disinterested the entire night and it showed. Awful game. So many bad turnovers, not sure what it will take for these guys to put importance on every possession.

Towards the end of the game when we cut it to 9 there was a timeout after yet another Washington alley hoop posterizing dunk Tad absolutely lit into Josh Fortune, never seen him that mad, I was right behind the bench and even I felt bad for the guy. Fortune has so much talent but he tends to disappear out there I would like to see him shoot more and take the ball to the rack often. Was glad to see they made a little run and not lose by 20 to 4 freshman and a good Andrews but they have to do better, clearly. Too much talent on this team to play so dumb and give away winnable games. Go Buffs.

Just home from the game and a few thoughts on tonight's performance. Pac 12 refs blow as always. You have to know Andrews is going to shoot and shoot some more, not sure why we gave him so many open shots. We were owned on the boards, absolutely abused, Wes Gordon was disinterested the entire night and it showed. Awful game. So many bad turnovers, not sure what it will take for these guys to put importance on every possession.

Towards the end of the game when we cut it to 9 there was a timeout after yet another Washington alley hoop posterizing dunk Tad absolutely lit into Josh Fortune, never seen him that mad, I was right behind the bench and even I felt bad for the guy. Fortune has so much talent but he tends to disappear out there I would like to see him shoot more and take the ball to the rack often. Was glad to see they made a little run and not lose by 20 to 4 freshman and a good Andrews but they have to do better, clearly. Too much talent on this team to play so dumb and give away winnable games. Go Buffs.

I'm not sure Fortune has "so much talent." He's leading the team in turnovers and simply cannot dribble in traffic. So I don't think I want him taking it to the rack a lot unless it's a wide open lane. But between Fletch, Talton, or Fortune ... at least he poses some offensive threat to the other team. Fletch and Talton score almost exclusively on kick outs, if they get their feet set and no hand in the face.

Talent is what you saw tonight for UW ... A bunch of freshmen and a stud senior who slash, create, leap, and shoot ... And beat us like a drum.

This is one of the games they'll look back on at the end of the season and point to as a huge missed opportunity.

I think I like the starting 5 of Dom, Fletch, King, Wes, Scott. Letting Fortune come off the bench allows him to do what he does best, be a pure scorer. He should not be in a position where he is running the offense.

This is one of the games they'll look back on at the end of the season and point to as a huge missed opportunity.

Washington played like a tournament team last night.
CU played like a bubble team.

The better prepared more energetic team won last night, as was the case against Cal, Utah, SMU, and Iowa State. CU has got prove they can beat a top 25 and/or P12 conference leader to earn respect and gain confidence that they will move beyond the first round of the tourney.

Washington played like a tournament team last night.
CU played like a bubble team.

The better prepared more energetic team won last night, as was the case against Cal, Utah, SMU, and Iowa State. CU has got prove they can beat a top 25 and/or P12 conference leader to earn respect and gain confidence that they will move beyond the first round of the tourney.
This is key IMO. Although it's better to make the NCAA tourney than not, a first-round embarrassment like the Pitt game leaves the season with a sour taste. Squeaking in on the right side of the bubble virtually guarantees a first-round exit. We all know this. Have to win in Pullman or chances of a good outcome to the season are small. Big game upcoming.

I only watched the 2nd half closely, was out for the first half and the TV was far away.

Probably been said, but this wasn't Tadball. Pisspoor defensive effort and got their butts kicked on the glass. Tad couldn't have been happy.

One positive though: they didn't fold. They fought back into it at the end. Andrews was 10-10 from the line down the stretch to prevent it from being even more interesting.

Just glad no one got injured on that court. Take the WSU game and this road trip will be a success.

Yeah, the other big positive from last night is that when Josh ran back to defend the break and drew a foul it was because he slipped on the court and grabbed the guy to keep from going down. The foul was a killer in that 1st half because the offense was horrible the rest of the way with J40 out, but I'll take that with the loss and be glad that J40 didn't get injured on the play.

Yeah, the other big positive from last night is that when Josh ran back to defend the break and drew a foul it was because he slipped on the court and grabbed the guy to keep from going down. The foul was a killer in that 1st half because the offense was horrible the rest of the way with J40 out, but I'll take that with the loss and be glad that J40 didn't get injured on the play.

Andrews slipped and fell near the end of the game too. That court has demons...

The group with the axe to grind who show up in losses are tiresome so the rest of us leave. I really don't have much interest in engaging with:
- People who dont realize the home team wins almost 2/3rds of the time in college hoops
- People who dont realize it is a game of runs
- People who think the sun shone out of bzdelik's ass
- People who seem to think watching a bunch of basketball makes them a better coach than Tad is now when they are 21.
- People who only show up after or during a blow out to insult the team.
- People who constantly gripe about the same **** or only highlight the bad and not the good (ex: coming on here to trash recruiting when we "lost" Satterwhite and then not giving the man an iota of props for replacing him with Peters).
- peopel who discovered CU basketbal in 2010 and act like we are owed 22 win season's and Tad is a detriment to the team and should be fired.

Also it has been established the following are not to our fans liking:
- the offensive approach to the game
- substitution patterns
- in bounds plays

Discussion of these things and how they hurt us is one thing see @RumblinBuff's tweets last night - going off the deepened calling Tad a ****ing idiot and insulting people is a completely tiresome different thing.

Yeesh, lots of football posters on here today.

This team has a tendency to fall off after "line changes", that would be my only criticism of Tad, not being tactful with subs. It was great to see XT play well versus Oregon, but you can't put too much credence in that when he hasn't shown to be a consistent contributor this season. Also, guys like King/Fortune can't and shouldn't be on the bench for long periods of time, they need to get into the flow.

That being said, Andrews is an incredible offensive player (some of the shots he hit were UNGUARDABLE) and is quick with the ball, our press worked at times but also totally backfired when we had two guys get beat by him in the backcourt. Tad preaches defense...I want to see our boys close out, preemptively move their feet, and maybe even smack the floor on D after they drain a shot.

Lastly, don't criticize Wes just because he doesn't score, learn how basketball works or go join the Matt Smith school of b****n.

Just glad no one got injured on that court. Take the WSU game and this road trip will be a success.

This a hundred times over. Got home late from a trip to TX and watched it on DVR. There were more slips on the court than should happen, by both teams. That floor needs to be replaced. Period.

From a game perspective, not sure why the team, 1 game removed from UO, dropped so far from traditional Tad ball. I get that the bench will likely not perform the same on the road as at home but that was a horrible effort on the glass and on the defensive end. Bright spots were the progress, and it was considerable progress, from Dom. Kid is making strides. Also, the team kept fighting and did not pack it in. Several time the announcers kept asking at what point the Buffs would quit but they never did.

Bubbles is regressing and is horrible on the dribble and passing. Total liability at this point and time. Yaz looked like a freshman last night. He will get better but it was not a good night for him. Also did not get the fouling that started with 1:30 left and only down 7. Especially with the fouling of Andrews. Guy is nails from the line.

Bottom line, get the win in Pullman and this is still a successful road trip. Need to bring a much better version of Tad ball this weekend.

Dang, Abs. Much of that list has me nodding in agreement, but the overall condescending tone smacks of BB fan elitism.

Fan expression is a gift to Allbuffs.

Groupthink can also be detrimental.

Last edited by a moderator:
(snip)

Lastly, don't criticize Wes just because he doesn't score, learn how basketball works or go join the Matt Smith school of b****n.

:D

You're absolutely right. However, I would criticize his play last night based on him struggling to get rebounds and getting worked in the post from the defensive end. Crazy thing is that his best defense was on Andrews in the latter parts of the game. Amazing that he's able to do that.

..... Also did not get the fouling that started with 1:30 left and only down 7. Especially with the fouling of Andrews. Guy is nails from the line.
Yes, maybe not a bad move if you can find a 40% FT shooter to foul, but giving them the near-automatic 2 wasn't a good strategy.

I'm not sure the fouling was a coaching decision. I think it was bad defense and a quick whistle.

Well, Fletch basically hugged Andrews as he came over the line at 1:30. You are right, if it was not coaching, that was horrible D.

Well, Fletch basically hugged Andrews as he came over the line at 1:30. You are right, if it was not coaching, that was horrible D.

I thought we were talking about that first one on Wes. That might have been at closer to 2 minutes, though. It was right out of a timeout, iirc, and didn't look like it was intentional.

Back