What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread - CU at Washington

Help me understand this officiating inconsistency. During EVERY game, the announcers blather on about the new, intense officiating focus on hand checking. In other words, don't touch the dribbler as he is moving about outside the three point line and in. Ok, fine. So be it. We should expect those calls.

YET
Very clearly in last night's game vs. uw, a CU point guard was dribbling around a defender to get to about 10 feet. The defender didn't hand check.....the defender jumped up and LANDED ON THE DRIBBLER'S SHOULDER, all in plain sight of EVERYONE, and surely at least two of the refs. No whistle.

Why is a hand check not allowed but leaping up and landing on the shoulder is allowed?

I'm confused.

Help me understand this officiating inconsistency. During EVERY game, the announcers blather on about the new, intense officiating focus on hand checking. In other words, don't touch the dribbler as he is moving about outside the three point line and in. Ok, fine. So be it. We should expect those calls.

YET
Very clearly in last night's game vs. uw, a CU point guard was dribbling around a defender to get to about 10 feet. The defender didn't hand check.....the defender jumped up and LANDED ON THE DRIBBLER'S SHOULDER, all in plain sight of EVERYONE, and surely at least two of the refs. No whistle.

Why is a hand check not allowed but leaping up and landing on the shoulder is allowed?

I'm confused.

/Pac-12 officiating

YET

I'm confused.

I think I know which play you are talking about. It should be called, but I was also yelling at Dom. It is something it took Ski three years to learn that used to drive me nuts.

Dom gets a guy up in the air from 15, and instead of going up with a shot and getting two free throws or possibly an and-one, he dribbles to open space to the left and fires up a 12 footer.

If Dom jumps up and into contact, the ref has no choice but to call a foul.

I think I know which play you are talking about. It should be called, but I was also yelling at Dom. It is something it took Ski three years to learn that used to drive me nuts.

Dom gets a guy up in the air from 15, and instead of going up with a shot and getting two free throws or possibly an and-one, he dribbles to open space to the left and fires up a 12 footer.

If Dom jumps up and into contact, the ref has no choice but to call a foul.
Rule change this year, you can't jump into the defender and get the call. They'll actually call an offensive foul.

If the defender jumps into the offensive player, it's still a foul.

I think they've been coached to not try the "skiball" maneuver anymore.

Rule change this year, you can't jump into the defender and get the call. They'll actually call an offensive foul.

If the defender jumps into the offensive player, it's still a foul.

I think they've been coached to not try the "skiball" maneuver anymore.
-------------------------
But in the play in question, the defender jumped up at the PG and LANDED ON PG'S SHOULDER, as PG tried to dribble around him. NO WHISTLE. (And it was in the open area of court and ALL could see.) So naturally I almost exploded the next time CU was whistled for some pansy handcheck.

I don't know how the refs are supposed to call contact initiated by the offensive player, but what I've observed is that if you dribble or jump into a defender without dipping your shoulder you can bank on getting awarded FTs.

I don't know how the refs are supposed to call contact initiated by the offensive player, but what I've observed is that if you dribble or jump into a defender without dipping your shoulder you can bank on getting awarded FTs.
The new rule change is specific to the situation where the offensive player is not moving after having already picked up the dribble or before starting the dribble. So you can no longer face up a defender, pump-fake to get them into the air, then jump into them causing contact. That is now an offensive foul because the offensive player has left their vertical plane. This of course assumes that the defender stays in their vertical plane. This rule change does not apply if the offensive player is moving with the dribble towards the basket.

I know fans hate that play when the shooting form is unnatural and the offensive player gets bailed out, but it is always the defenders fault for biting on a pump fake and they are out of position to make a defensive play. When they get completely out of the way, I don't like seeing the foul called but a majority of the time, it doesn't bother me.

In this discussion, I don't care about contact by the offensive player. My issue is that a defender who puts his hands on the back of a dribbler is to be called for a foul. I'm wondering if a defender who jumps onto the shoulders of a dribbler should also be called for a foul. To me that should be a guaranteed defensive foul.

In this discussion, I don't care about contact by the offensive player. My issue is that a defender who puts his hands on the back of a dribbler is to be called for a foul. I'm wondering if a defender who jumps onto the shoulders of a dribbler should also be called for a foul. To me that should be a guaranteed defensive foul.

You're asking for rational officiating from #pac12refs, that's your main problem.

Back