What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread -- CU v #18 SMU

Good game but frustrating....we should be used to it by now though, football or basketball it seems like we never miss an opportunity to NOT seize the brass ring.

I believe CU was the better team. Free throws and some really bad calls did us in. Hey when your ranked you get some better whistles I reckon. Good effort and showing from the boys. I like this team. I'm smelling a Pac 12 championship. Also, damn, Fortune was on point.

SMU was a really tough matchup for us. This was a great test and, frankly, I was really impressed with our adjustments in the second half. This game should serve us well going into Pac play.

I believe they played one position on D in a zone?

Yep. It worked. Great. But the last thing you want to do against a good O-Reb team is play zone. Buffs need to play their game and that's man defense.

Anyone wishing to see a lot more zone defense is going to be consistently upset as long as Tad is the coach. It's simply not our identity. We'll play zone about as often as Boeheim switches things up at Cuse to play man.

Hate losing because of free throws. Can't blame the refs for that one. We had 9 free points left on the court, and only needed 5.

scott had 12pts and 12rebs, I think his back is probably alright. Everyone was missing FT's, wasn't just him. *tosses salt* *knocks on wood* *crosses fingers*

Yeah. Hopefully just tired legs from 4 games in 6 days.

He really did put the team on his shoulders yesterday. Probably all it is. Just worn out and had a night where he had to do a ton of grunt work because he wasn't getting much help on the glass -- especially in the 1st half.

This isn't a football, BS, MM "moral victory". That was a damn good basketball game, where we balled for 40 minutes against a very athletic, extremely well coached (and well paid) team hitting on all cylinders. Was an awesome watch. And despite the outcome, I'm going to bed tonight feeling better about this team than I did when I woke up this am. Feels like we've got something special brewing here. Bring on the Pac 12. Roll frigging Tad! Good loss.

This isn't a football, BS, MM "moral victory". That was a damn good basketball game, where we balled for 40 minutes against a very athletic, extremely well coached (and well paid) team hitting on all cylinders. Was an awesome watch. And despite the outcome, I'm going to bed tonight feeling better about this team than I did when I woke up this am. Feels like we've got something special brewing here. Bring on the Pac 12. Roll frigging Tad! Good loss.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's good perspective. 11-2 record. Both losses were close games on neutral sites against Top 10 RPI teams. Basketball's a long season and no one goes undefeated. Program is in great shape and so is this year's edition as we head into Pac-12 play.

Good to play a game like this, sucks to lose it.

SMU will be a tourney team and probably a fairly high seed. For the Buffs, especially the younger guys to know that had they done a few things better, and things they are capable of doing, they would have beaten a team this good is big.

Good to play a game like this, sucks to lose it.

SMU will be a tourney team and probably a fairly high seed. For the Buffs, especially the younger guys to know that had they done a few things better, and things they are capable of doing, they would have beaten a team this good is big.
SMU is banned from the post season.

FTs the difference tonight ... on the stat sheet anyway.

We've taken a step forward this year, and it's because of one thing: outside shooting. Our ability to take (something we haven't been willing to do in recent years) and make the open jumper. That's why we're feeling optimistic this year, no doubt. But the biggest thing separating us from really taking the next step, into rankings, national respectability, whatever? Perimeter creators. You saw it tonight with SMU (and with Iowa St. before). SMU made ZERO 3s, yet won. Why? They have guards who can take it to the rack and finish or dish for an easy score. We still simply don't have that with any kind of consistency, or at a really dangerous level. Haven;t had that player since Spencer, and really he's been the only one in the last 5 years.

I like the makeup of this team. But unless Collier, Fortune, Akyazili, Talton, whoever, can be good creators off the dribble, this is our ceiling. A solid team, but a fringe NCAA team.

CU needs to start cheating. There are no real costs to doing so. 1 in 6 chance you get caught, no real punishment when you do.

I'd take a 1 year ban (we aren't making the dance anyway) to get a pg like that.

Maybe buy some refs, too

At the very least, I feel much better knowing J Fortune had the good judgement to ditch the corn rows. I have a restored confidence in his decision making.

Yeah. But we have still have like 18 straight losses to ranked teams.

And the same problems keep rearing their heads.

Get your point on the "like 18 straight losses", but respectfully disagree about the same problems rearing their heads part.

I think we've improved in posing more of an offensive permitter threat that must be accounted for (opening other things up). I think we're starting to see the inside-out offense truly execute as its drawn up. I see individuals like Dom, Wes and even XT (who I'm typically way critical of) quietly get better and better each game. We can actually get the damn ball inbounds. We make half time adjustments.... etc...

Bottom line: I think if we're not cold on free throws tonight, we beat a very good team who is having a good night. Maybe I'm naive, but I like the trend line for this team.

My main takeaway from tonight is that we can play with anyone. I saw loud SMU fans at the game starting to bite fingernails in the second half realizing they might not be the better team. Turns out they were, but not by much. I thought Dom and Fortune in particular really started to be assertive in the second half, then the team started to feel nerves when they got a lead with under 10 minutes. This kind of tourney experience is the type you need to grow from. If Dom can take that next little step at this level, he/CU could be scary good this year.

One thing I'm encouraged with is Tad's ability to make halftime adjustments this year. Maybe our depth has something to do with it, but we have been a much better second half team this year.

Back