What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread: CU vs UC Santa Barbara, 6 PM & Preview

XJ: Lackadaisical. Didn't follow the game plan. Didn't listen to the coaches.

Tad: "Thank goodness their best guy didn't play. Woulda lost by 15."

"didn't have a sense of urgency"

"Didn't finish at the rim. Three defense is officially a problem". "Harvard will be the best team we've played so far." "We need to play with more edge."

Last edited:
The same issues from years past too.

The one (only) good thing you can take away from this game is that in past years we would have lost it, and this year we found a way to win. Boyle was as pissed off as I have seen him at the team during the game, and his interview on KOA on the way home confirmed it.

I hate to say it, but maybe we have to lose one to get everyone's attention.

Man KenPom was on this one...predicted a 74-66 victory...pulled out a 76-68 victory

The one (only) good thing you can take away from this game is that in past years we would have lost it, and this year we found a way to win. Boyle was as pissed off as I have seen him at the team during the game, and his interview on KOA on the way home confirmed it.

Lucky to get away with this tonight. Play like this against Harvard and it's a loss, and this type of basketball with more turnovers than assists, horrid perimeter D, and guys we count on not stepping up is going to get us in major trouble on the road.

I don't want to go overboard here as we did win, but something about this season has just not felt quite right. My expectations weren't nearly as high as many of you, but our play has been so painfully bad at times. Maybe it was the rather lifeless, "meh" showing against Baylor that got things off on the wrong foot. Then we've had the troubling showings against Wyoming and now UCSB. C-Unit not showing up and our crappy attendance is only contributing to the feeling that something is just a little off right now. Anyway, what I'm getting at is Harvard is an enormous game. I think in many ways Harvard is going to tell the tale of this season. Do we show up, play solid basketball, beat an NCAA Tournament team and use it as a springboard to becoming cohesive and playing good basketball? Or do we have another "meh" showing, stumble to 4 or 5 OOC losses and have this season fall well short of what it could have been? It's just one game, but I do think it's a bellwether of sorts.

Well, I know I don't know what I'm talking about, but I was sitting with 2 guys who've coached state championship teams and they agreed. Talton is tentative to shoot the open 3 early in the shot clock, but he is looking to make a pass, involve his teammates, and play D. TB does not want quick 3 point heaves. Watch Tad's face on those quick Ski shots.

For the record, one of the above coaches attended one of the scrimmages where I later posted that George King would get PT for his hustle and defense. Was laughed at on that one too. George finished the game tonight on the floor and nobody is laughing at that one now.... Impossible!

I think Tad has to wonder what Hopkins was doing tonight. He is not effective against the zone defense at this point in his career. Tad had Hopkins, King, XJ, Dinwiddie and Fletcher on the floor at the end (if memory serves me right). All about 6'6" to 6'7" and trying to stop the 3 launches by UCSB. Looking for a formula.

Well, I know I don't know what I'm talking about, but I was sitting with 2 guys who've coached state championship teams and they agreed. Talton is tentative to shoot the open 3 early in the shot clock, but he is looking to make a pass, involve his teammates, and play D. TB does not want quick 3 point heaves. Watch Tad's face on those quick Ski shots.

For the record, one of the above coaches attended one of the scrimmages where I later posted that George King would get PT for his hustle and defense. Was laughed at on that one too. George finished the game tonight on the floor and nobody is laughing at that one now.... Impossible!

You know who doesn't agree with you about ski besides everyone else? Tad ****ing Boyle.

Check who starts
Check who gets more minutes

If you'd watched more than 1 game this year you'd realize that Ski hasn't been taking the 3 (or the mid-range) jumper early in the shot clock. He's been passing up the low % shots early in the shot clock so many times that even I have been calling him to pull the trigger on some of them. He's been patient, getting the ball into the lane and making the defense collapse on him and getting the ball to the bigs for wide open layups. While I like Talton, he doesn't break down the defense the way Ski does, Talton is a perimeter player who can knock down the 3 on a swing pass when he's open.

And the he plays D comment is ridiculous, Ski is a great on ball and off ball defender. Talton loses his guy routinely in the half court and has given up many 3's.

Sorry - not buying you what you're selling - and this is from a guy who would have almost rather played with 4 guys on the floor than have Ski on the floor after the Baylor game.

Buffs are going to have to find a sense of urgency and quick. Some tough games in the next two weeks.

If you'd watched more than 1 game this year you'd realize that Ski hasn't been taking the 3 (or the mid-range) jumper early in the shot clock. He's been passing up the low % shots early in the shot clock so many times that even I have been calling him to pull the trigger on some of them. He's been patient, getting the ball into the lane and making the defense collapse on him and getting the ball to the bigs for wide open layups. While I like Talton, he doesn't break down the defense the way Ski does, Talton is a perimeter player who can knock down the 3 on a swing pass when he's open.

And the he plays D comment is ridiculous, Ski is a great on ball and off ball defender. Talton loses his guy routinely in the half court and has given up many 3's.

Sorry - not buying you what you're selling - and this is from a guy who would have almost rather played with 4 guys on the floor than have Ski on the floor after the Baylor game.

This.

And best to choose a night when a guard doesn't shoot 50% from the field to call for benching.

Buffs are going to have to find a sense of urgency and quick. Some tough games in the next two weeks.

Count me concerned not only about Harvard, but about how this team will perform on the road against CSU. We should be okay at Air Force, they are truly quite awful. Even a mediocre CU performance should get a win at AFA. CSU is just bad timing (the game before KU) and we can pretend it isn't an issue all we want, but homecourt advantage is homecourt advantage. CSU has taken a step back this year, but I've seen their rando's go off against us too many times in the past.

XJ didn't shake off the cobwebs until the 2nd half. Good to see him start to get his timing back. We're going to need a good performance from him on Sunday.

Mayor and Ski carried us tonight. Gonna have nights when the team is lifeless, the shooting is off and we're not even getting much out of the post. It was great to see that with nothing much going well they put the team on their backs. Especially Mayor, who I think took more FTs than the entire UCSB team tonight.

Scott and Gordon had their worst night of the year in a game they should have dominated.

Shooting was horrific.

Defense clearly wasn't dialed into the game plan.

Etc., etc.

But we won. In the end, that's the most important thing. And it was a reminder that as much as Mayor would be happy to set up teammates, see shots fall and coast to a win without having to be the primary scoring option... he's fully capable of getting an open shot or fouled every single possession when we need it. Tonight, he recognized we needed it and scored 1/3 of our points.

I think Tad has to wonder what Hopkins was doing tonight. He is not effective against the zone defense at this point in his career. Tad had Hopkins, King, XJ, Dinwiddie and Fletcher on the floor at the end (if memory serves me right). All about 6'6" to 6'7" and trying to stop the 3 launches by UCSB. Looking for a formula.

Again - Nobody has been effective against the zone defense the last 4 years under Tad, this isn't a Hopkins thing. It's a ball movement, spacing and making the zone collapse thing. Not a Hopkins thing.

The guys that were on the floor at the end of the game were out there because we fouled out all of their big guys. So the match-ups of Wes, Scott and Dustin no longer made sense when they didn't have anybody over 6-7 on the floor and they were trying to jack up 3's to catch up.

Is Talton hungover? He looks awful.

Talton is terrible. He needs to sit. Every time UCSB made a run it seemed XT was in the game. I made mental notes of all the mistakes, but I'm too tired to list them.

Talton played great on Monday and couldn't get into a rhythm tonight. Bad game for him. Based on what he's shown us in the past, it's a good bet that he'll have a nice bounce back game on Sunday.

With J-Hop, I'm starting to think Snow and Rugged were onto something the last couple games when they said to me that J-Hop might need to start because he gets so much more mentally into the game. That was true of XJ last year and we saw the huge uptick in his performance in Pac-12 play once Tad made the call to start him instead of using him as a 6th man.

What will the crowd be like on Sunday?

I'm guessing no one will be there.
The Broncos game is on the road/later, so that excuse isn't going to be valid this time around. At the same point, most students will be out of town. Besides CU being more up-and-coming last year, any other reason why our fan support hasn't been the same this year?

Scott and Gordon had their worst night of the year in a game they should have dominated.

Shooting was horrific.

UCSB played the tightest 3-2 zone I think I've ever seen. There was absolutely no room to get the ball inside to Scott and Gordon. If we had one or two guys who could hit the three we'd have opened things up and Josh and Wes would have got theirs. I think Spencer has to step up and shoot a few more threes. Hell, maybe this Brady guy could come in against zone defenses and just shoot it.

I don't want to go overboard here as we did win, but something about this season has just not felt quite right. My expectations weren't nearly as high as many of you, but our play has been so painfully bad at times. Maybe it was the rather lifeless, "meh" showing against Baylor that got things off on the wrong foot. Then we've had the troubling showings against Wyoming and now UCSB. C-Unit not showing up and our crappy attendance is only contributing to the feeling that something is just a little off right now. Anyway, what I'm getting at is Harvard is an enormous game. I think in many ways Harvard is going to tell the tale of this season. Do we show up, play solid basketball, beat an NCAA Tournament team and use it as a springboard to becoming cohesive and playing good basketball? Or do we have another "meh" showing, stumble to 4 or 5 OOC losses and have this season fall well short of what it could have been? It's just one game, but I do think it's a bellwether of sorts.
Not going to put too much on one game, especially an OOC game, pre-Thanksgiving one but I do think Harvard should be a good test. It's a game we should win at home against a good opponent, but could lose. So far the season has gone as expected from a W-L POV.

I think the lack of energy has played a part of what you are saying. Last year seeing the crowds, energized the fans who weren't in Boulder. It's not the same seeing Coors as down as it's been.

I missed the game but it appears to me that every year Boyles teams seem to start slowly and pick it up over time. With this team being so young I'm not surprised to see that again. I'm sure they'll work it out. We have the talent to go far if they can put it all together

Not going to put too much on one game, especially an OOC game, pre-Thanksgiving one but I do think Harvard should be a good test. It's a game we should win at home against a good opponent, but could lose. So far the season has gone as expected from a W-L POV.

I think the lack of energy has played a part of what you are saying. Last year seeing the crowds, energized the fans who weren't in Boulder. It's not the same seeing Coors as down as it's been.

It's November, but we also need to use this OOC slate to get something that resembles a decent win for the resume. It's great that Kansas, Oklahoma State and Baylor are on the schedule, but we may very well go 0-3 in those games. Playing teams that strong helps the RPI regardless, but we still want some sort of decent win. Wyoming is okay, perhaps that will prove to be a little better of a win than expected. Colorado State is a far cry from last season. Georgia will be lucky to get 15 wins. That leaves Harvard as the one real shot outside of Kansas and Oklahoma State. Do not ever like heading into conference play with no decent OOC wins, although it can still turn out fine with an impressive showing in conference play (perfect example being Cal last season. And we would have been in trouble last year had it not been for a few solid OOC wins we bagged early on).

With J-Hop, I'm starting to think Snow and Rugged were onto something the last couple games when they said to me that J-Hop might need to start because he gets so much more mentally into the game. That was true of XJ last year and we saw the huge uptick in his performance in Pac-12 play once Tad made the call to start him instead of using him as a 6th man.

Hadn't thought of that, but that actually makes a lot of sense. Problem is, who do you sit? Ski is the obvious choice, but except for the Baylor game he's been everything we want in a guard. Obviously not sitting XJ, Scott or Spencer. Do we go "small" and sit Wes?

Tad is pissed. Watching his post game interview on cubuffs.

"Need to players in the locker room to let the new players new that our assistants know what the hell they are talking about when they put a scouting report together. We don't have that. So guess what, it is my job to make sure that happens. I am going to make sure that happens"

Boys are going to be running.

Last edited:
Back