What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread: MBB vs Georgia

The FT's seemed to have regressed since last season. I guess that's another impact of the 4 players who graduated/left. This is an area they can improve on.

I didn't see the whole game. Anyone hear why Cal Ripken Jr was in the house?

The FT's seemed to have regressed since last season. I guess that's another impact of the 4 players who graduated/left. This is an area they can improve on.

I didn't see the whole game. Anyone hear why Cal Ripken Jr was in the house?

Has a kid who attends CU

Attendance was only 6,453 tonight - bandwagon must have lost some steam in Puerto Rico or something.

Monday night after a holiday weekend (& big football weekend). I wouldn't put too much into it. Being a Monday & laziness kept me & friends away.

CU shot the 5th best FT% last year. Knutson shot over 90%, Burks and Higgins shot in the 80's and Relphorde shot in the upper 70's. Regression was going to happen, luckily FT's are something that CAN be improved on with that 24hr access to the new practice facility.

Disappointing but it is November.

Since it is only November, I will say this, the attendance appears to be much better than last season at this time, and the students are showing up in larger numbers for these non-conference games. Another decent season and the keg should be rocking and near capacity most games. Tad is really building something here. It is fun to watch.

Since it is only November, I will say this, the attendance appears to be much better than last season at this time, and the students are showing up in larger numbers for these non-conference games. Another decent season and the keg should be rocking and near capacity most games. Tad is really building something here. It is fun to watch.

Agree that we're generally making great strides in attendance, however under 6,500 for *the* marquee OOC game of the year is disappointing. Hopefully it is just because it was a Monday or something...because 6,453 against a solid SEC opponent suggests that attendance could get pretty lame for the final five OOC home games. Certainly doesn't match up to the 8,000 that showed up on opening night for Fort Lewis, either. The real test will be the crowd we can draw for Utah (12/31) Washington (1/5) and Wazzu (1/7) -- most crucial mini-stretch of the season at a time when students are on break :bang:

I was at the game so I haven't had time to look over any replays, but boy am I excited about Ski. The mayor too. Andre did his thing and I believe shot the FT a little better than the rest of the team(not exactly hard to do).

I spent the game livid at Tomlinson and SHT. Both terrible. Frustrating as can be. I don't care if SHT throws out a good screen, he can barely rebound when the ball falls into his hands.

Adams played the first half, struggled a little and didn't play the second. I'm guessing it was just fitness or a better lineup but good to see him working back in. Watching the pre-game it is easy to see he is the best shooter on the team. He could drain most shots on the court.
I also spent a lot of time watching Cain in the pre-game. I am not surprised he hasn't played much yet. He shoots well, but his jump shot takes him about 1 inch off the ground and his layups were the same. I am really hoping it was just lack of effort in a pre-game warmup, because we need him badly, but he looked slow.

Also, it was awesome to see Ski get a chance to guard someone his own stature. He was chasing around the Georgia guards with something to prove.

One thing to be very careful of is closing out of our three point shots. Many times we came flying in to close out on a three point shooter and just barrel into them. In one case, I believe it was Carlon Brown flew in and poked the guy right in the face. If you get a veteran, he is going to pump fake for that three point foul, or in many cases officials will call that even though the player has released the ball. Just something I expect to see if Tad doesn't get it correct.

Last edited:
Good win for a young team and on national TV. I liked Boyle's comments afterwards too, he just gives me confidence that he knows how to keep this thing on the tracks moving in the right direction. Very excited to see this team progress and make some noise in the PAC-12.

We NEED you ****ers to show up over break for the Utah, Washington and Wazzu games. If I'm flying across the country for UW and Wazzu, then 'tini & co. can get their asses up to the Keg from Denver. Those three home games to start conference play are the most crucial part of this entire season, hands down. Be there.

THIS. Also, I need to spread some rep before hitting you again. Seriously people, get your ass up to the CEC. The team needs your support.

Anyone else see Cal Ripkin Jr. there? Playing well in second half! Still wish we had a little higher attendance!

As halftime was ending and I went back to my seats, I swore I saw him but didn't say anything to the girlfriend because I didn't need to open myself up to more mocking. Turns out it was him. He had a pretty good crowd around him when we walked by.

Attendance was only 6,453 tonight - bandwagon must have lost some steam in Puerto Rico or something.

Ya the game atmosphere was pretty meh. I was disappointed in the crowd

I mentioned it in another thread, but the crowd sucked last night -- especially considering it was our "showcase" non-conference game. How the hell did we have 2K+ more people for Ft. Lewis than Georgia? Very disappointed in the crowd.

****, it came close. I couldn't even watch Ski's FT's at the end -- I just relied on the crowd reaction to tell me what happened. God this is infuriating.

All of that said, we just beat an SEC team -- and easily the hardest team on our non-conference schedule (not counting PR). And did it while shooting less than 60% from the line and roughly 30% from behind the arc. I'll take it. Georgia's a good defensive team and I thought the offense responded. Dinwiddie was freakin' huge -- that's what I expected out of him heading in to this season. Ski? Nothing needs to be said there. He had a few plays that were absolutely sick and should be on SportsCenter today. I wasn't thrilled with Dre's game (as Rumblin' pointed out at halftime, he needs to move his feet more on D), but then I check the boxscore after the game and see he had 15 & 15 so I can't complain at all.

If we win at CSU tomorrow, we're realistically looking at a 10-2 non-conference schedule. The Maryland loss is going to haunt me for a while, and I still think this team is bi-polar enough to drop a random game to a Texas Southern or so just to infuriate us, but Georgia & Air Force were huge hurdles. If we can beat CSU tomorrow, we're setting ourselves up for a potential NIT bid.

Anyone else see Cal Ripkin Jr. there? Playing well in second half! Still wish we had a little higher attendance!

This is why it sucks to move the students into the corners of the event center. Even when they show up it looks empty (and it did look very empty) on TV.

This is why it sucks to move the students into the corners of the event center. Even when they show up it looks empty (and it did look very empty) on TV.
gotta disagree with you daaaah. the only better option would be to have them span the length of the court on both sides. we want them in the end when the other team is going that way in the second half.

gotta disagree with you daaaah. the only better option would be to have them span the length of the court on both sides. we want them in the end when the other team is going that way in the second half.
I want them directly behind the visitor's bench with express orders to be as ****ing disruptive as possible, especially during time outs.

My thoughts from last night without going through the entire thread:

Loved how we came out to start the 2nd half. There was energy, and also a direct offensive plan. That plan was to attack #1, the Freshmen, on the defensive end. That kid is a damn good player, but was completely lost on the defensive end. I think I counted six straight possessions where the offense was directed where ever he was on defense, coming from both Brown and Dinwiddie.

Our freshmen were great. Ski is an absolute joy to watch, and it is incredible how fast he gets up and down the floor.

Dre, although he may seem to disappear at times, really is the glue holding the team together. We rebound what seems like twice as well with him on the floor, and if a loose ball touches his hand, its his. Its like he has stickem on.

Thought SHT played the best game I've seen from him, wasn't anything special but rebounded and played D. Dufault works his tail off, but he's gotta move his feet better on those screen hedges, can't just keep throwing shoulders or he'll keep fouling out.

Anyone else notice Sharpe's terrible body language? His minutes are non existent (deservedly, he's not a top 8 rotation guy on this team), I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it the entire year.

Big win for the Buffs' RPI last night. Georgia had been #24 in RPI. With the win, CU jumped up 57 spots and is now ranked #97.

A road win on Wednesday would give us another big bump, because CSU is ahead of us at #75.

Also, as bad as the Pac-12 has been (#9 RPI conference but closing on the MWC), we are the #1 Strength of Schedule conference. That helps explain the conference record and gives some hope that things could improve quite a bit.

here are my thoughts on the game:

1 - very disappointed in the crowd. I thought we would be pushing 10k and was surprised and disappointed in seeing a crowd that was very similar to what we saw versus Fort Lewis. I don't know what it is going to take to get people to pack the keg, but a team that made the NCAA tournament should have been an easy sell.

2 - it is pretty obvious that if the recruits we just signed actually pan out then we are going to be a top 25 team in two years. Look at the scoring sheet from last night and you will see our top 3 scorers were Andre Roberson with 15, Dinwiddie with 16 and Booker with 14. The top 3 are a sophomore and two freshman. Very disappointed when you consider players like Nate and Dufault, but our team is going to be stacked in two years when Booker and Dinwidde are juniors and Roberson is a senior and our class is going to be sophomores.

3 - our defense is much improved, but still has some lapses, we now switch much much better on defense than we saw just a few games ago, we still need to do a better job boxing out under the basket and just getting our hands into passing lanes. I didn't liked what I saw with Dufault and Tunks when they would roll out to help on the high screen because more often than not they would either let the guy dribble right around them or they would draw a foul, they just don't seem to have enough lateral speed to play that type of defense.

Let me go over a few players:

Booker - he is going to be the fastest guy on the court. I don't think he will ever start for us, but he will come off the bench and fly up and down the court gassing the other team and scoring points in a frenzy. I like that he and Dinwidde are not afraid to shoot the ball. After seeing Nate pass up so many wide open 3's we need guys that will shoot the ball.

Dinwiddie - had a great all around game last night and was the player of the game. Him and Booker are both starting to find their groove and should be huge later in the season.

Tunks - played his best game last night. He is still not a good player, but it was the best game I have ever seen him play and going to give him credit. He banged around down low and hustled up and down the floor all night.

Adams - I still can't sneeze with my eyes open, so I missed him on the court. I am not disappointed by his play nor do I have much of an opinion since we really didn't see much of him.

Dufault - he did not have a good game last night. He was out of control most of the time and drew five fouls in only 23 minutes. He had almost no impact in the game when he was in since he didn't play offense well or any kind of defense. We need him to be a senior and step up.

Brown - I really want him to be more aggressive on offense. He disappears at times in games and we need him to step up.

Superman - all I can say is wow. His play late in the game clinched the win for us, he was all over the court today and had a pretty good game. I think we expected see this from the first game of the season and hope we see this the rest of the year. My only gripe is his defense is still suspect. He is getting caught out of position too much because what I think is from help defense and he doesn't get help or takes to long to recover.

What I want to see going forward:

better free throw percentage. this will cost us at least one game in the future. Nate has no excuse to shoot so poorly from the line.
better job boxing out down low. We allow the other team to tap the ball and keep it alive. We need our bigs to box out and grab the boards
better crowds.

Looking over the KenPom numbers, we are once again killing it on offense but struggling on D - specifically on forcing steals and on defending the 3. Now the 3 point thing was a little inflated last night as Georgia went 10-for-25, but it's still a concern.

Gotta win at the Fort tomorrow.

3 - our defense is much improved, but still has some lapses, we now switch much much better on defense than we saw just a few games ago, we still need to do a better job boxing out under the basket and just getting our hands into passing lanes. I didn't liked what I saw with Dufault and Tunks when they would roll out to help on the high screen because more often than not they would either let the guy dribble right around them or they would draw a foul, they just don't seem to have enough lateral speed to play that type of defense.

It surprised me how much we were showing on pick & rolls. ESPECIALLY with SHT as he's, to put this delicately, slower than hell. I don't remember that in any other games though, so I'm wondering if it was something they saw on the tape when scouting Georgia.

Adams - I still can't sneeze with my eyes open, so I missed him on the court. I am not disappointed by his play nor do I have much of an opinion since we really didn't see much of him.

I do have to say that I was impressed with his D in the limited time he was out there. They put him on Caldwell-Pope and he did a pretty good job neutralizing him.

better job boxing out down low. We allow the other team to tap the ball and keep it alive. We need our bigs to box out and grab the boards
better crowds.

THIS. Good lord. We're undersized so we need strong fundamentals, and that one is lacking. We're getting pushed around down there.

Also, after seeing how we responded to Georgia's zone and full court press, I expect to see a bit more of that this season. We looked completely dumbfounded by the zone when Georgia switched to it. Hopefully we can spend the next week after the CSU game working on that a bit.

Looking over the KenPom numbers, we are once again killing it on offense but struggling on D - specifically on forcing steals and on defending the 3. Now the 3 point thing was a little inflated last night as Georgia went 10-for-25, but it's still a concern.

Gotta win at the Fort tomorrow.

CU's defending of the 3 thing is a little perplexing to me, Maryland and Georgia both had horrible 3pt% coming into games against CU and both shot the 3 relatively well against them. What I can't figure out is CU really that bad at defending the 3 or as I hopefully assume are they scouting their poor 3pt shooting and would rather have them shoot the 3 then penetrate and break them down. And subsequently they listened too well and left guys a little too open?

CU's defending of the 3 thing is a little perplexing to me, Maryland and Georgia both had horrible 3pt% coming into games against CU and both shot the 3 relatively well against them. What I can't figure out is CU really that bad at defending the 3 or as I hopefully assume are they scouting their poor 3pt shooting and would rather have them shoot the 3 then penetrate and break them down. And subsequently they listened too well and left guys a little too open?

Listening to Coach Pri in the Buff Club during pre-game, it sounded like the defensive game plan was to force Georgia to knock down shots from outside of 15 feet, box out, and let long rebounds get our fast break going.

I think we played it softer on the perimeter than the coaches wanted, but Georgia also started out uncharacteristically hot. Rugged made a great point during the game. He was happy that Georgia started out shooting well from outside because he knew it wouldn't last, they'd fall in love with taking those shots, and we were better off with them settling for jump shots instead of attacking the glass.

Also, after seeing how we responded to Georgia's zone and full court press, I expect to see a bit more of that this season. We looked completely dumbfounded by the zone when Georgia switched to it. Hopefully we can spend the next week after the CSU game working on that a bit.

:nod: I think the main problem here is we don't have zone busting shooter like Levi last year. Against the zone we're going to have to get scoring from SHT and Dufault, and, well that's a scary proposition. The first time they went to it in the first half I think SHT had shots on consecutive possessions, and they both missed terribly. I'm hoping that perhaps Adams or Brown can step up and be deadly shooters to bust zones, since we know Nate refuses to take semi-contested looks.

They went 4-16 after starting out 6-9 from the 3. It played into our hands.

-- I'm a Guy On A Buffalo --

One of the coolest things that is showing up is our depth. We played a 9 man rotation in the first half and an 8 man rotation in the second half. SHT and Ski come off the bench to provide good minutes. Chen comes in a few defensive minutes, and some decent decisions. Adams will start making his way into the rotation for more shooting and defense.

All of this is without Cain. Add him in, SHT and Dufaults minutes drop. Depending on how well he plays. Maybe Andre gets more than 30 seconds at a time on the bench.

If something occurs we still have Sharpe, Eckloff, and Mills to take fouls. Sharpe to play D.

This depth is exciting. It could mean some great things for our future.

Back