What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Games Thread: CU vs Arizona

Dang, I don't fpollow BB as closely at FB....I was sure hoping for a win tonight though. Rats...

It's more of a continued issue with our offensive play style (or lackthereof). At home, we can attack the rim relentlessly where we get more calls and our athleticism is hard to stop. On the road, defenses can tighten up and force us to make difficult shots. Every road game looks like the Nebraska game from last year.

Hopefully getting Scott here will change that. We can get a real offense going and play more of a traditional game working the paint and making shots.

We absolutely better go 4-0 on this stretch. I'm fine with a loss @Oregon but these other 4 games are very winnable.

We miss having a scorer like Burks who can get to the rim or the line and keep us in games when the rest of our offense powers down. We miss having a spot up shooter like Levi who can spread their defense. The whistles didn't blow our way, we got in foul trouble, and we gave up far too many offensive rebounds. That being said, there is no reason we can't beat Arizona if we were to see them again in the PAC tournament.

It's more of a continued issue with our offensive play style (or lackthereof). At home, we can attack the rim relentlessly where we get more calls and our athleticism is hard to stop. On the road, defenses can tighten up and force us to make difficult shots. Every road game looks like the Nebraska game from last year.

Hopefully getting Scott here will change that. We can get a real offense going and play more of a traditional game working the paint and making shots.

We absolutely better go 4-0 on this stretch. I'm fine with a loss @Oregon but these other 4 games are very winnable.

When you don't have a post game or a shooter, the offense can get ugly. The spacing gets bad and it's hard to get defenses scrambling when they're willing to let you try to beat them with the 3 ball. It'll get better over time, with Scott bringing a post presence.

****. Knew it was gonna happen and it still sucked. When is this team gonna play well, as a team, on the road in a big game? Ugh.

****. Not unexpected but it hurts. We're not out of it yet though -- let's hope Washington steps on a landmine or two in Oregon and get our way back in this. Goes without saying that we absolutely have to take care of business in Tempe.

Pac-12 race could be exciting if Oregon beats UW tonight.

49-26 whOregon tonight at half. Since CannedDuck taught me that the officials always decide the game, I can only assume UDub is getting seriously jobbed tonight... :lol:

Looks like we'll be looking at Cal & UDub at 9-3, CU, Zona and whOregon at 8-4, and the fUCLA/Stanford winner at 7-5 (fUCLA leads 35-27 at half at home). Should be a hell of a stretch run.

49-26 whOregon tonight at half. Since CannedDuck taught me that the officials always decide the game, I can only assume UDub is getting seriously jobbed tonight... :lol:

Looks like we'll be looking at Cal & UDub at 9-3, CU, Zona and whOregon at 8-4, and the fUCLA/Stanford winner at 7-5 (fUCLA leads 35-27 at half at home). Should be a hell of a stretch run.

We got a pretty good draw with our next four. 2 of our easier road games and 2 games at the keg. Should put us in a good position going up north with a chance to win it all with a sweep.

Well that sucked. We need to learn how to box out. What the **** were we doing on the boards? The second half was totally pathetic. The dreadlocked rasta was dominating us. But the thing was, it wasn't all skill. Some of that was effort. Good teams box out and get rebounds. We have Roberson jumping around doing his thing and reading the ball and grabbing boards, but no one else seems to be putting a body on the opponent and boxing out. Waaaaay too many second chances for AZ and not enough coordinated effort on the boards for CU.

Oh, and we are going to be in a world of hurt when Dufault graduates. We need a JUCO big man stat.

Arizona fan here. Was at the game tonight. I'm also a Wichita State fan and have been a fan of Tad Boyle since he was an assistant coach there. I believe he will have CU doing well in the PAC as long as he is at CU. I expect to see your team competing with UW, UCLA, Oregon and my Cats. I got a question for you and I don't mean it as a jab. I was watching 33 (I think Dufault). The whole night I never saw him set a stationary screen. They were all moving. Is that typical?

Horrible refs tonight. Bad calls both ways. I don't know what box of Cracker Jacks they got those refs from, but if that's all the better they are putting in the Cracker Jacks boxes, they need to be taken off the shelf. The PAC-12 needs to spend some of all that TV money on getting some competent refs.

Last edited:
Arizona fan here. Was at the game tonight. I'm also a Wichita State fan and have been a fan of Tad Boyle since he was an assistant coach there. I believe he will have CU doing well in the PAC as long as he is at CU. I expect to see your team competing with UW, UCLA, Oregon and my Cats. I got a question for you and I don't mean it as a jab. I was watching 33 (I think Dufult sp?). The whole night I never saw him set a stationary screen. They were all moving. Is that typical?

Horrible refs tonight. Bad calls both ways. I don't know what box of Cracker Jacks they got those refs from, but if that's all the better they are putting in the Cracker Jacks boxes, they need to be taken off the shelf. The PAC-12 needs to spend some of all that TV money on getting some competent refs.

Welcome.

Dufault (33) thrives on the pick and pop because he can usually hit the 3 ball (not tonight) so many of his screens are meant to get him open on that play, thus he never really sets his feet for the screen.

Arizona fan here. Was at the game tonight. I'm also a Wichita State fan and have been a fan of Tad Boyle since he was an assistant coach there. I believe he will have CU doing well in the PAC as long as he is at CU. I expect to see your team competing with UW, UCLA, Oregon and my Cats. I got a question for you and I don't mean it as a jab. I was watching 33 (I think Dufault). The whole night I never saw him set a stationary screen. They were all moving. Is that typical?

Austin's not the most physical player.

They were allowing a lot off the screen action. I don't think they called a foul all night on the guy doing a switch flash out to bump the guy with the ball. There was a lot of contact up top.

I miss Levi. He had that Seth Curry stoke that you swore it was going in every time.

Thgouht I'd do a little write up and share some pictures from the game.

Before the game we went to a pizza place right outside the maingate next to the campus. There were about a dozen or so CU fans there. Only a few people gave me some **** for wearing a CU jersey, but I quickly reminded them about the football game which they all responded, well we're a basketball school. So I remninded them once again that CU also beat them in that sport.

After dinner we walked to McKale through the campus. Even though I go to ASU, I've got to admit that their campus is really nice. It reminded me a lot of CU. McKale is a pretty old stadium, seats about 14,000 but it's still pretty nice inside. The student section filled up pretty fast and by tip off the stadium was full.
2012-02-09_18-32-14_823.jpg2012-02-09_18-32-21_737.jpg
There were only about 50-80 or so CU fans there though. About 30 behind the bench and 20-50 spread out through the stadium

The one thing I thought was the coolest was their player introductions. They shut off all of the lights (something I think CU should do) And then they play this sick video on the screens. It has highlights mixed in with the best players from UofA (Sean Elliot, Steve Kerr, Richard Jefferson, Jason Terry, Derrick Williams, Lute Olsen etc.) naming off the accomplishments of the program ... __many Sweet 16's __ Final 4's, 1 National Championship. I'm not even a UofA fan but I thought it was so cool. (wish I would have taped it)

2012-02-09_18-34-54_89.jpg2012-02-09_18-35-03_108.jpg

As for the game I thought Dre, Spencer and Nate did well. God I wish Nate would shoot the ball more. Dre was all over the boards especially in the 1st half. Ski and Carlon struggled. And both of those missed dunks were embarrassing. Especially Carlon at the end, you're down 10 with 1min left, just lay it up.

You guys probably already know this from watching, but the ZonaZoo is horrible. They have a lot in numbers but damn their quiet. The only chant they know is UofA. They make no noise when their team is on defense, they occasionaly got exiceted for a dunk or 3. It takes all the old people (and damn their old) in the crowd to stand up and cheer to get the students involved. S/O to the CU students who actually make CEC a tough place to play.

The fans were pretty cool and classy too. A lot of them were impressed with CU and they all knew the game was a lot closer that the final score showed. If you guys ever get a chance I recomend coming down for a game at McKale. Well time to head up to Tempe in the morning and see the Buffs pull out a win there.

The one thing I thought was the coolest was their player introductions. They shut off all of the lights (something I think CU should do) And then they play this sick video on the screens. It has highlights mixed in with the best players from UofA (Sean Elliot, Steve Kerr, Richard Jefferson, Jason Terry, Derrick Williams, Lute Olsen etc.) naming off the accomplishments of the program ... __many Sweet 16's __ Final 4's, 1 National Championship. I'm not even a UofA fan but I thought it was so cool. (wish I would have taped it)

Thorburn actually mentioned that in one of his tweets.

Every team has one, but Arizona's 2012 intro video at the McKale Center is the best I've seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CppkxPzpFOA

Tempe - Thanks for the write-up!

YMSSR (Can someone get him for me?)

Got him.

Thgouht I'd do a little write up and share some pictures from the game.

Before the game we went to a pizza place right outside the maingate next to the campus. There were about a dozen or so CU fans there. Only a few people gave me some **** for wearing a CU jersey, but I quickly reminded them about the football game which they all responded, well we're a basketball school. So I remninded them once again that CU also beat them in that sport.

After dinner we walked to McKale through the campus. Even though I go to ASU, I've got to admit that their campus is really nice. It reminded me a lot of CU. McKale is a pretty old stadium, seats about 14,000 but it's still pretty nice inside. The student section filled up pretty fast and by tip off the stadium was full.
View attachment 8579View attachment 8580
There were only about 50-80 or so CU fans there though. About 30 behind the bench and 20-50 spread out through the stadium

View attachment 8581View attachment 8582

As for the game I thought Dre, Spencer and Nate did well. God I wish Nate would shoot the ball more. Dre was all over the boards especially in the 1st half. Ski and Carlon struggled. And both of those missed dunks were embarrassing. Especially Carlon at the end, you're down 10 with 1min left, just lay it up.

You guys probably already know this from watching, but the ZonaZoo is horrible. They have a lot in numbers but damn their quiet. The only chant they know is UofA. They make no noise when their team is on defense, they occasionaly got exiceted for a dunk or 3. It takes all the old people (and damn their old) in the crowd to stand up and cheer to get the students involved. S/O to the CU students who actually make CEC a tough place to play.

The fans were pretty cool and classy too. A lot of them were impressed with CU and they all knew the game was a lot closer that the final score showed. If you guys ever get a chance I recomend coming down for a game at McKale. Well time to head up to Tempe in the morning and see the Buffs pull out a win there.

Agreed on UA. People give them ****, I guess because of Tucson as a whole, but it's a really nice campus imo.

Back