What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Games Thread/Roll Call: Colorado vs USC

Wasn't the b-ball program on major probation sometime in the past few years? That would certainly have hurt their recruiting.

There are still some lingering effects of the O.J. Mayo self-imposed penalties, but they really got off light if I remember correctly...

The self-imposed sanctions for the men’s basketball program include a one-year ban on postseason competition following the 2009-2010 regular season, including the Pac-10 Conference basketball tournament; a reduction of one scholarship for the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 academic years; a reduction by one of the number of coaches permitted to engage in off-campus recruiting activities during the summer of 2010 and a reduction in the total number of recruiting days by 20 days (from 130 to 110) for the 2010-2011 academic year.
In addition, because of Mayo’s involvement with Rodney Guillory, whom under NCAA rules became a USC booster due to his role in Mayo’s recruitment, USC will vacate all wins during the 2007-2008 regular season, which was when Mayo competed while ineligible. USC also will return to the NCAA the money it received through the Pac-10 Conference for its participation in the 2008 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Tournament.

http://uscnews.usc.edu/university/usc_announces_self-imposed_sanctions_on_mens_basketball_team.html

Somebody in chat last night asked how USC could be so good in football and so awful in basketball. I have to wonder the same thing. I can understand how they might not be a dominant team, but they shouldn't be this bad. With all the advantages they have, they ought to be a middle of the pack team in the league. Somewhere between 5-8, pretty much every year.

Until Galen was built, the facilities sucked and most LA HS players think UCLA for B-Ball. Plus they can never seem to get a good coach.

True, but it was just last year when they weaseled their way into the dance over CU

Holy sh*t. I had totally forgotten about that. Now I'm even more pissed off. We were totally robbed last year. What a freaking joke.

True, the home crowd is great now - but you don't have to think too far back to remember games where the atmosphere was a bit like Cheers.

There was a game my junior year where there were 6 of us in the student section. There would've been a 7th, but he had a study group session crop up at the last minute.

Not disagreeing at all but that has not been a problem when a decent product has been put on the court. If they are competitive and playing well, fans turn out. I was there in the mid 80s and throughout the last 30 years, there have been times when the team played well and fans showd. I think we are seeing a dramatic change under Tadd though which will have a lasting impact on how this program is percieved and supported. I am not saying CU has had great fan support across the last 30 years, but the product had much to do with it.

For basketball USC seems to have had the same problem that CU has faced over the years. There are just way to many options distracting attention away. LA is an immigrant city like the Colorado front range, everyone seems to be from somewhere else. They can bandwagon jump because there are so many options, multiple universities, pro sports, plus the beach and all the entertainment choices. When USC is very good and can get some attention more people come out, when they are not people go elsewhere. We have had the same issues.

Same thing applies to talent, unless they are doing well players don't aspire to go there. With all the options they go elsewhere, makes it hard to build a solid program. We finally have energy in the foamdome but if not for a solid past few years (Buzz then Tad) we would be in the same situation.

For basketball USC seems to have had the same problem that CU has faced over the years. There are just way to many options distracting attention away. LA is an immigrant city like the Colorado front range, everyone seems to be from somewhere else. They can bandwagon jump because there are so many options, multiple universities, pro sports, plus the beach and all the entertainment choices. When USC is very good and can get some attention more people come out, when they are not people go elsewhere. We have had the same issues.

Same thing applies to talent, unless they are doing well players don't aspire to go there. With all the options they go elsewhere, makes it hard to build a solid program. We finally have energy in the foamdome but if not for a solid past few years (Buzz then Tad) we would be in the same situation.

But we don't have nearly the home-grown talent pool that USC has.

SC fans were throwing piss bombs at CU fans. One of them pushed a CU grandma down the stairs. I am not lying. I witnessed it myself.

But we don't have nearly the home-grown talent pool that USC has.

True, but unless they are already doing well USC is normaly no better than a third choice for LA kids after UCLA and leaving town. Not much hometown loyalty there and lots of top programs recruit LA.

Based on yesterdays game you could argue that CU has better overall talent out of LA than USC does.

True, but unless they are already doing well USC is normaly no better than a third choice for LA kids after UCLA and leaving town. Not much hometown loyalty there and lots of top programs recruit LA.

Based on yesterdays game you could argue that CU has better overall talent out of LA than USC does.

You kidding me? USC owns LA and has for 100 years.

You kidding me? USC owns LA and has for 100 years.

Football I would agree with you 100%, I had to laugh when Slick Rick started running his mouth about taking over LA.

In basketball they have had some up times and some down times. When they are up the media gives them a lot of attention and recruits listen to them. When they aren't winning they get sparse crowds, not a lot of media attention, and they aren't the choice for a lot of top recruits.

Even in football prior to Pete Carroll getting them back on the winning track they had a lot of empty seats and were down the list for the media. The difference for Carroll is that the HS recruits still wanted to go there so rebuilding the program was not as difficult as basketball will be (comparatively, basketball can be turned with a couple of top recruits.)

USC getting in last year was a joke. they made a very underwhelming hire with the guy who was a U of A assistant and career .500 coach at Marquette and somewhere else. his name escapes me. Tim Floyd was a good college coach but has made some questionable decisions....like the post MJ Bulls job and getting in trouble at USC. Mayo was a disaster waiting to happen.

USC had a good team in the early 00's with Jeff Trepanier (could jump out of the gym), Sam Clancy (nice low block moves, some range), and Brian Scalabrini (NBA career has shown him to be a pretty versatile player). I think Henry Bibby was the coach then. who by all accounts is an asshat.

USC getting in last year was a joke. they made a very underwhelming hire with the guy who was a U of A assistant and career .500 coach at Marquette and somewhere else. his name escapes me. Tim Floyd was a good college coach but has made some questionable decisions....like the post MJ Bulls job and getting in trouble at USC. Mayo was a disaster waiting to happen.

USC had a good team in the early 00's with Jeff Trepanier (could jump out of the gym), Sam Clancy (nice low block moves, some range), and Brian Scalabrini (NBA career has shown him to be a pretty versatile player). I think Henry Bibby was the coach then. who by all accounts is an asshat.

Kevin O'Neill. Head coach at Marquette, Tennessee and Northwestern in the 90s. Did well at Marquette but didn't have a single winning record at either Tenn or NW. I tried to find USC fans reaction to the game last night, but USC's 3 basketball fans were busy bitching about O'Neill and how he needs to go. Hate to break it to them, but he isn't going anywhere anytime soon since this is only his third season in LA.

Kevin O'Neill. Head coach at Marquette, Tennessee and Northwestern in the 90s. Did well at Marquette but didn't have a single winning record at either Tenn or NW. I tried to find USC fans reaction to the game last night, but USC's 3 basketball fans were busy bitching about O'Neill and how he needs to go. Hate to break it to them, but he isn't going anywhere anytime soon since this is only his third season in LA.

I would think he's gone unless his contract is way to expensive to fire him. A winless season in conference play (which is where they're headed) is too damning to overlook.

I would think he's gone unless his contract is way to expensive to fire him. A winless season in conference play (which is where they're headed) is too damning to overlook.

They're not going winless in conference. They should get their first win today over Utah (favored by 12). That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to get fired though.

Back