What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Pac 12 Championship Pregame Thread - Buffs vs Huskies

Need to really, really put a huge emphasis on special teams this week (all 5 days of it) and get the very best players in on all units. I think the lack of overall talent/depth really shows on the kick coverage teams.
Agree but I was most disappointed in our flyers in punt coverage on 2 or 3 punts, and those guys are Chido and Laguda, not to mention Oliver and other good defensive players. Sing part of that unit.

Need to really, really put a huge emphasis on special teams this week (all 5 days of it) and get the very best players in on all units. I think the lack of overall talent/depth really shows on the kick coverage teams.
Just curious....WTF is the meaning of your name?

Agree but I was most disappointed in our flyers in punt coverage on 2 or 3 punts, and those guys are Chido and Laguda, not to mention Oliver and other good defensive players. Sing part of that unit.
Willingham said that was a "Safe" punt formation that wasn't designed for a return. Extra embarrassing.

Most spots now have us as 7/7.5 underdog. That's a huge overreaction to last weekend. In reality, Udub has only played one really good defense (USC) and one okay defense (UU). Stanford was very good overall, except for their midseason injuries against the WA schools that weren't reflections of their real quality.

There is very good film of defensive concepts from the USC game that will limit/stop Udub's offense. Udub is up against an extremely difficult challenege this week.

Most spots now have us as 7/7.5 underdog. That's a huge overreaction to last weekend. In reality, Udub has only played one really good defense (USC) and one okay defense (UU). Stanford was very good overall, except for their midseason injuries against the WA schools that weren't reflections of their real quality.

There is very good film of defensive concepts from the USC game that will limit/stop Udub's offense. Udub is up against an extremely difficult challenege this week.
Well, a lot more difficult than their stupid ****ing fans believe, anyway.

When Washington comes to play they are probably about 10 points better than us. If they play like they did against USC then I think it will be a toss up.

The quality of the defense has an impact on a team's offensive output. It isn't just about will (i.e. "comes to play"). The reason why Udub hasn't lived in the top 4 this season is because they haven't played many strong defenses.

CU will be the toughest defense Udub had seen all year.

Here's their resume (ranks are scoring defense)...

1) Rutgers 116/128
2) Idaho 89/128
3) Portland State (not ranked FCS opponent - 3 wins/10th in Big Sky conference)
4) Arizona 118/128
5) Stanford (banged up) 18/128
6) Oregon 125/128
7) Oregon State 80/128
8) Utah 39/128
9) California 127/128
10) USC 25/128
11) ASU 123/128
12) Wazzu 56/128

Average Rank... 83.27. CU is the 13th ranked scoring defense in the FBS giving up 18.8 points per game.

Udub is not godlevel. They've run up the score against bad defenses. The average score against the 3 good defenses they played this year (even Stanford)... 29.33 to 18.67. Take out numbers against banged up Stanford... average is 22 to 25.

When Washington comes to play they are probably about 10 points better than us. If they play like they did against USC then I think it will be a toss up.

The quality of the defense has an impact on a team's offensive output. It isn't just about will (i.e. "comes to play"). The reason why Udub hasn't lived in the top 4 this season is because they haven't played many strong defenses.

1) Rutgers 116/128
2) Idaho 89/128
4) Arizona 118/128
6) Oregon 125/128
7) Oregon State 80/128
8) Utah 39/128
9) California 127/128
10) USC 25/128
11) ASU 123/128
12) Wazzu 56/128

Average Rank... 83.27. CU is the 13th ranked scoring defense in the FBS giving up 18.8 points per game.

Udub is not godlevel. They've run up the score against bad defenses. The average score against the 3 good defenses they played this year (even Stanford)... 29.33 to 18.67. Take out numbers against banged up Stanford... average is 22 to 25.

Great post ... thanks for the info. I'm feeling better about our chances already!

Ross and petit for huskies are a huge concern. Browning is right there with falk.

Buffs have to get pressure and not let these two get behind them.

Offense has to establish run early. Can't have 3-4 drives in a row with no points.

We were 7 pt. dogs in 2001 in CG vs. Texas.

Which was understandable, given our trouncing at their hands earlier in the season. Of course, that was Pez's first start IIRC, and I doubt that was taken into account by the bookies.

being Captain Obvious here...
Buff need to stop UDubs running game as that's what USC did and can't give up special teams miscues. Last night CU's special teams gave Utah 13 points.

1) Rutgers 116/128
2) Idaho 89/128
4) Arizona 118/128
6) Oregon 125/128
7) Oregon State 80/128
8) Utah 39/128
9) California 127/128
10) USC 25/128
11) ASU 123/128
12) Wazzu 56/128

It's a tough matchup for our defense though because they have two amazing receivers, just like USC was able to win some of those battles against chido and Witherspoon, Washington will be able to as well. And before you say we held them to less points that normal we got very lucky with those turnovers.

Washington is also very physical up front and we struggle against those defenses like Stanford, USC, ucla and even Michigan started to figure us out and expose our offensive line in the second half.

I think we match up favorably on defense.

The bigger question is on offense. Washington has a very good, physical run defense and they can also get after the QB. Can the offense do enough (not just scoring, but avoiding three and outs)?

We have caused a turnover in every game for two seasons. That's the longest streak in the nation. We've caused 26 turnovers this season! That's top 5 in the nation. Forcing a young QB to turn over the ball is not luck. We have a super legit, ball-hawking defense. We run tons of pro concepts that confuse college QBs and OLs. We will be the biggest challenge Udub has seen so far this season. When they play very good defenses, Udub struggles.

Udub = paper tiger.

As long as we don't turn the ball over, we can win this game.

It's a tough matchup for our defense though because they have two amazing receivers, just like USC was able to win some of those battles against chido and Witherspoon, Washington will be able to as well. And before you say we held them to less points that normal we got very lucky with those turnovers.

Washington is also very physical up front and we struggle against those defenses like Stanford, USC, ucla and even Michigan started to figure us out and expose our offensive line in the second half.

I think we match up favorably on defense.

The bigger question is on offense. Washington has a very good, physical run defense and they can also get after the QB. Can the offense do enough (not just scoring, but avoiding three and outs)?
Will be very interested how their defense continues to perform with all the injuries they have had recently.

Will be very interested how their defense continues to perform with all the injuries they have had recently.

Good question. I guess I view it as even matchups on both sides of the ball. Their defense is definitely weakened by the injuries, but our offense has been pretty inconsistent down the stretch.

Special teams? I have no idea what to expect there anymore.

Back