What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official: Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC

Does this save the Big 12?

TCU is a nationally-rated program, if the Big East collapses, they'll be free to get a Big 12 bid.

The Big 12 won't have the prejudice against religious schools the Pac-12 has. ****, they should add TCU, SMU, BYU, and Notre Dame, throw them all in a division with Baylor and call it the 'Jesus Division'.

It looks like this will happen, I want to know what the rest of the Big East will do.

This stuff has taken away my focus on football today.

WVU is going to either the ACC or SEC. Their AD is not happy at all with the Big East leadership.

Rutgers could have a standing invite from the B1G.

UConn could be that final ACC team.

If UConn and Rutgers leave, the Big East is DEAD.

Louisville, Cinncinnati, South Florida, and TCU could just go join the Big 12. But that doesn't necessarily prevent OU & OSU from leaving the Big 12.

Big East the basketball league will survive though. but yeah big east football is probably done.

Dont' see Big Ten bringing in Rutgers. They really don't offer a whole lot of tradition or winning in either of the two big programs.

No brainer. Watching OU vs. FSU and OSU vs. Miami --- Watch how many time ESPN flashes the ACC graphic. Its literally after every down. "ACC on ESPN" Gurantee it happens. Watched the SEC games and they didn't show the graphic nearly as much. Conspiracy!!!

I hate the way ESPN has manipulated college sports actually, even if it saves us from the UT scourge.

ESPN reporting that the ACC has accepted Pit and Syracuse

Yes, will be announced tomorrow. Unfortunately for the ACC, they desperately need an upgrade in football, and Pitt and Syracuse aren't going to do anything for them in that department. Both have history, but this isn't the 70's anymore and both have struggled mightily in recent years

Yes, will be announced tomorrow. Unfortunately for the ACC, they desperately need an upgrade in football, and Pitt and Syracuse aren't going to do anything for them in that department. Both have history, but this isn't the 70's anymore and both have struggled mightily in recent years

Yup it's official now.

I'm guessing what the ACC is doing here is deciding to put their emphasis on being the dominant basketball conference while at the same time essentially Big East football, therefore practically assuring themselves that they and not the Big East will be the 4th super-conference.. Who else is available to improve their football prestige anyway? Nobody. And certainly none of the SEC schools are gonna leave that conference for the ACC.

Yup it's official now.

I'm guessing what the ACC is doing here is deciding to put their emphasis on being the dominant basketball conference while at the same time essentially Big East football, therefore practically assuring themselves that they and not the Big East will be the 4th super-conference.. Who else is available to improve their football prestige anyway? Nobody. And certainly none of the SEC schools are gonna leave that conference for the ACC.

I think this was a geographic move, too. You can now connect Boston College by drawing a line through New York and Pennsylvania to get to Maryland. It wouldn't surprise me to see them add UConn and Rutgers to get to 16 if their longshot plays at UT and ND fail.

ACC pods (if they marry it to geography):

BC, UConn, Rutgers, Syracuse
Pitt, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech
UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake
GaTech, Clemson, FSU, Miami

I think this was a geographic move, too. You can now connect Boston College by drawing a line through New York and Pennsylvania to get to Maryland. It wouldn't surprise me to see them add UConn and Rutgers to get to 16 if their longshot plays at UT and ND fail.

ACC pods (if they marry it to geography):

BC, UConn, Rutgers, Syracuse
Pitt, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech
UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake
GaTech, Clemson, FSU, Miami

Agreed, it gets them more solidly into the Northeast. And yea you wonder if UConn is on their list, which would also play well into their basketball angle.

I was thinking of what a coup this was by Swofford, and how unexpected it was. Suddenly the conference that was doomed to be picked over and forced to merge with the Big East is the one that is ahead of the game and as stable as the other three big conferences.The SEC has to be shocked. They were figuring they'd have their pick of Va Tech, Clemson, FSU, or some other ACC school. Now they're stuck with grabbing WVU and then staying at 14 or going dumpster-diving for another Big East school. Missouri is probably ****ed, yet again.The Big Ten has to be a little stunned, too. Most people had at least one of those two, if not both, being targeted for Big Ten eastern expansion. Now the Big Ten might be stuck looking west, where pickings get slimmer.How does this affect Larry Scott's thinking? 16 school conferences just got a lot harder to build cleanly. UT might think they got a clear shot at an ACC invite, or they might think they got a reprieve. Tomorrow will be an interesting day.As for Congress, **** them. Do something other than be parasites on the rest of us and leave sports for last - idiots.

Agreed, it gets them more solidly into the Northeast. And yea you wonder if UConn is on their list, which would also play well into their basketball angle.

Considering ESPN base of operations, I'd be shocked if UConn isn't on their list.

I hate the way ESPN has manipulated college sports actually, even if it saves us from the UT scourge.

This. I can't see the NCAA and congress siting idly by much longer. This is pure market manipulation where a private company is penalizing certain public institutions while rewarding others and all of it is on the backs of unpaid workers. These moves are designed to create mega conferences and probably will lead to a quasi playoff once it's done to satisfy the public and prevent the rise of a sanctioned playoff. The problem is this; the BCS is affecting the regular season. The NCAA should have stepped in years ago and created a post season.

I can see why legislators would get upset about Texas A&M leaving the Big 12 after having "committed" to the league, the new TV deal, etc. etc for an extended period of time.

But the Big East contacts haven't been renegotiated yet and expire after the 2012 season. If Pitt and Syracuse are going to be joining the ACC after that, who can say anything about that legally?

This certainly means West Virginia is hoping to get either the 14th invite to the SEC (which makes alot of sense) or a 15/16th invite to the ACC (which also makes alot of sense but could leave either UConn or Rutgers on the sidelines). TV market and protection of geography seems that the ACC would be better off inviting UConn and Rutgers and letting WVU go to SEC.

The Big Ten now only has ONE option to go "super" and that is to invade Big Ten country. Notre Dame is on the verge of losing their non-football sports home so this certainly plays into their "seismic shift" scenario to force them into a conference. Big Ten or ACC?

If I were Jim Delany I would have Notre Dame, Texas, and Oklahoma on speed dial then decide between Kansas or Missouri for my last school. Sure you sacrifice some academics with OU but not too much more than you did with Nebraska but you would gain a huge program with awesome rivalries. Even if OU-Okie State go to the Pac and everyone stops at 14 for now, I would invite Notre Dame and Texas to the Big Ten. I think the ACC might be thinking the same thing.

Mizzou and West Virginny seem to be in "no man's land" on the frontline between three major conference battle lines but no clear place to go just yet. They both could have 3 potential homes or none (at least none that are good).

Should Pac-12 enter into the sweepstakes for Texas? Can we demand a Texas-Oklahoma-Kansas-Missouri group and no "attached" schools?

This move by the ACC may have also been a pre-reactionary type of move by them in anticipation of losing some teams to the SEC.

The pod system might not work without adjustments in the ACC. I can't see series like UVA/UNC (oldest rivalry in the South) being killed off and played a mere few times a decade.

The pod system might not work without adjustments in the ACC. I can't see series like UVA/UNC (oldest rivalry in the South) being killed off and played a mere few times a decade.

They might just put them in the same pod. ACC chose rivalries and competitive/recruiting balance over geography last time. No reason to thing it wouldn't do so again.

They might just put them in the same pod. ACC chose rivalries and competitive/recruiting balance over geography last time. No reason to thing it wouldn't do so again.

I would think they'd put the 4 NC schools in the same pod. Maybe something like this:

Pod 1:
BC
UConn
Syracuse
Rutgers ??

Pod 2:
MD
Pitt
VT
UVA

Pod 3:
UNC
NCSU
Duke
Wake

Pod 4:
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

I would think they'd put the 4 NC schools in the same pod. Maybe something like this:

Pod 1:
BC
UConn
Syracuse
Rutgers ??

Pod 2:
MD
Pitt
VT
UVA

Pod 3:
UNC
NCSU
Duke
Wake

Pod 4:
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

That's the setup that makes the most sense as far as getting the most for the fans. I think it's essential with these superconference that there's a focus on the regional rivalries along with equal access to the conference regions outside the geographic grouping. I'm not sure that any setup other than pods is workable in the long-run.

Back