What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official time for Jon Embree to RESIGN Thread

I'm not sure I saw anyone enjoying losing this past weekend in Boulder but I will say that you guys prepare for the pain of the games in much better fashion than we do right now. However, we are looking to CU for coping mechanisms and for that I thank all of you. I will take what I learned and try to implement it for our game day experiences in the future. :lol:

You got to remember that we have been bad since 2006. We have lots of experience to build from. At this point I expect them to lose and am thrilled if they actually win.

Our next game is against UCLA. We haven't lost to them in Berkeley in 12 years. This year will be different of course...

I never thought I'd see the day that our donors would step up and do something but when you build a super expense stadium and then start sucking more than you have any right to with the talent we recruited over the years...it's on the coaching staff. We'll see if our admin has any back bone. Right now, our situation is very similar to CU. Hopefully, the rumors are true though:

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63855

I'm not sure I saw anyone enjoying losing this past weekend in Boulder but I will say that you guys prepare for the pain of the games in much better fashion than we do right now. However, we are looking to CU for coping mechanisms and for that I thank all of you. I will take what I learned and try to implement it for our game day experiences in the future. :lol:
I see someone caught me taking repeated swigs from the whiskey bottle while also enjoying Sacky's Martini's. They were different at this tailgate, but damn, still super delicious. Might have to make that recipe change permanent sacky!

Embo isn't going to resign. The same crew that left the turd from Boise floating in the bowl for an extra is not about to do anything in the near future no matter what happens over the next couple of years.

What is Embree's litmus test? Replacing his best friend/OC? Oh, who has a contract requiring a buy out, I might add.

Edit: Aside from winning or, at least, showing improvement.

Last edited:
What is Embree's litmus test? Replacing his best friend/OC? Oh, who has a contract requiring a buy out, I might add.

To go back in time and not hire a bunch of friends? Instead, hire a proven OC & DC? Hire a OL coach that wasn't washed up and resting on his laurels from ~10 years ago?

Embree needs to worry about the team and not about his friends. If EB isn't cutting it as OC, officially relieve him of those duties (if EB isn't cutting it, then drop him regardless of any buyout). If Marshall can't recruit and can't coach (I know, it's not 100% on the OL since we keep switching offensive schemes every week), find someone that can. And if Embree really believes that he has the right ACs in place, fine. But the mob will really be out for blood next year if there aren't changes and there isn't real progress evident on gameday.

There really are no easy answers. I doubt Embree is gone at the end of this season, so it's either ride it out with the guys he hired, or admit there were mistakes made and try to correct them.

Actually, his best friend coaches little league.

I see someone caught me taking repeated swigs from the whiskey bottle while also enjoying Sacky's Martini's. They were different at this tailgate, but damn, still super delicious. Might have to make that recipe change permanent sacky!

I just might do that. Sometimes, necessity is the mother of invention.

I seem to remember more posters on here that wanted EB to be head coach, than JE. Now, the same people are mad that JE would pick EB to be OC, because he didnt have enough experience. Makes sense.

I seem to remember more posters on here that wanted EB to be head coach, than JE. Now, the same people are mad that JE would pick EB to be OC, because he didnt have enough experience. Makes sense.

I'm not going to bash Embree for the pick of Bieniemy. It was a risk, but a decent risk IMO. The Brown and Marshall picks still make no sense to me.

I was not in favor of hiring Embo. Once the trigger was pulled, I supported him. Still do, I would like to see him become a marvelous success. However, when one looks at his resume, it is hard to imagine what was being thought.

I wanted Mac back. Maybe that would have not been any better. He has been out of thegame a long time, but Ihave a funny feeling he would not have allowed the team to show up on Sept. 1, 2012 so clearly unprepared. Same with 9/8 and 9/15. I thought if Mac could come back and take the heat while the rebuild went on, and Embo and/or EB had some OJT it would work out. Water under the bridge.

I actually thought EB was a better HC candidate than Embo, that probably would have been a disaster.

Changing horses right noew probably isn't the way to go, but I, likel others, am sick and tired of watching the Buffs fall farther and farther behind, it is now year seven where the Buffs will lose more than they win. How MB survives this I don't know, but he is only a portion of the problem with BB and Dr. Phil really pulling the strings.

We haven't seen the worst part of the season yet.
ASU has a good shot to beat us by same margin as UCLA and then it's USC, Oregon, Stanford,
Washington and Arizona ... :scared2:
the margin of victory for these teams agains CU will probably be 40 points-

How can anybody keep a team together with such ugly ?
Buckle up Buffs cause it's not going to be pretty.

ASU has a good shot to beat us by same margin as UCLA and then it's USC, Oregon, Stanford,

We are staring 1-11 in the face. 2-10 is only possible because UU lost JWynn. Now their QB play is almost as bad as ours.

sackygate on Thursday night is going to be EPIC. You don't want to miss that.

Yeah. Go ahead and make my day, why don'tcha?!! Sheesh... thanks for the reminder! (NEG REP just doesn't cut it - where's that "He destroyed my day" Rep points icon?!!)

We're going to be facing opponents that may need to create headline splashes by the scoring margin. And they may want to impress their own recruit-prospects, which may actually lower scores because perhaps opponents will play more frosh against us. "Sign with us - see? You'll get playing time soon!"

Of course, if a program says, "We play Frosh but we don't let them score", that's sends almost a worse-than-opposite signal to them. "Y'mean, you'll let me on the field where I can get injured, but I can't show off? I can't score?" So, some programs will open the throttles and perhaps encourage 3rd and 4th Quarter scoring.

Then, we're facing injuries, too, as our players may take a few plays off ("What does it matter if I try very hard? It's 35-0 in the First Quarter!") and thus open themselves up to injuries they'd have avoided if they were fully attentive.

The moral to the story: it can get worse. InThe's right - it can get VERY MUCH worse. And "rain" will be the least of it.

amazing how teams all over the country, including the one CU just played, with young freshmen qb's look good. Young teams all over the country at least keeps games close... JE needs to not be like hawkins by not adjusting his staff. Changes need to be made. Sticking your friend on the field vs booth is not a staff adjustment. CU needs a better play book with better calls made to help put your players into winnable individual battles within the game. At the point CU is right now - every loss is making the recruiting battles harder and the hole deeper

amazing how teams all over the country, including the one CU just played, with young freshmen qb's look good. Young teams all over the country at least keeps games close... JE needs to not be like hawkins by not adjusting his staff. Changes need to be made. Sticking your friend on the field vs booth is not a staff adjustment. CU needs a better play book with better calls made to help put your players into winnable individual battles within the game. At the point CU is right now - every loss is making the recruiting battles harder and the hole deeper
fUCLA's OL is almost all underclassmen. RSFrosh QB to boot.

fUCLA's OL is almost all underclassmen. RSFrosh QB to boot.

#1 difference is the talent level of the most important position....a true freshman Hundley would still be 4-5 times better than a Senior uber-experienced Webb

When you lack talent at the most important position on your team for 7 straight years....you lose more games than you win for 7 straight years

You're welcome for that Whiskey bottle btw :nod:

Al Groh is now available to coach some defense, just sayin'. Not sure WTF went on this year at GT, but a lack of defense certainly wasn't his downfall as HC at UVA..

Al Groh is now available to coach some defense, just sayin'. Not sure WTF went on this year at GT, but a lack of defense certainly wasn't his downfall as HC at UVA..

He was defensive coordinator for 2 and a half years at Georgia Tech.

Paul Johnson has been Georgia Tech's head coach since 2008 (this is his 5th year). He has taken Georgia Tech to a bowl game every year he has been there. Is there some pressure on him this season?

He was defensive coordinator for 2 and a half years at Georgia Tech.

Paul Johnson has been Georgia Tech's head coach since 2008 (this is his 5th year). He has taken Georgia Tech to a bowl game every year he has been there. Is there some pressure on him this season?

I follow the ACC closely, and for a year and a half Groh was doing well with their defense and they were improving. Then, at the end of last season, the wheels came off and they appeared to never recover this year other than doing a solid job in game 1 against VT in Blacksburg this season.

Johnson is starting to feel a bit of heat. The expectations aren't sky high in Atlanta (haven't been since the 1930s), but Johnson is a victim of his own early success. It's becoming increasingly clear he thrived off of Chan Gailey's leftovers his first couple years, and he is not recruiting well. The AJC wrote a scathing article a couple weeks ago implying GT is closer to Georgia Southern in terms of talent than they are to UGA.

Groh runs a 3-4 and had a very solid D at UVA for 9 seasons. His downfall as HC was his offense, as he had his son as OC and, shockingly, that failed. Groh has a great mind for defense. He's arrogant, but he knows his ****. However, while I am of the belief almost anyone would be an improvement on D, I also recognize that we need some young blood on this staff and obviously a 65 year old Groh doesn't fit that mold.

Last edited:
Johnson is on a very short leash, and I'll go on record saying no thanks at this point.

Franklin at Vandy intrigues.

Sonny Dykes at La. Tech. IIRC intrigues.

Christenson at Wyo. intrigues.

However, I think, even though 1-11 or 2-10 is a virtual certainty, Embo will be back on the sidelines next year.

Johnson is on a very short leash, and I'll go on record saying no thanks at this point.

However, I think, even though 1-11 or 2-10 is a virtual certainty, Embo will be back on the sidelines next year.

do not want- early on he looked like he was a miracle worker but lately things have regressed

As long as we're throwing names out there (and I think Embree deserves at least 1 more year, for the record), I'd like to see CU at least interview Gary Anderson from Utah State. Am I crazy? He has limited experience, but he's really done well the last two years at Utah State. In addition, if you give Embree one more year, you'd have one more year's worth of results to judge him by.

As long as we're throwing names out there (and I think Embree deserves at least 1 more year, for the record), I'd like to see CU at least interview Gary Anderson from Utah State. Am I crazy? He has limited experience, but he's really done well the last two years at Utah State. In addition, if you give Embree one more year, you'd have one more year's worth of results to judge him by.

Unfortunately, his only real "big time" experience was his time at Utah. He was the defensive line / special teams coach at Utah in 1995 and 1996, then he was their defensive coordinator from 2004 - 2008. He's never been in a BCS conference before. His best complete season at Utah State was last year, when he went 7-6. He has done a nice job with his defense though.

I would hope CU can attract a bigger fish.

One more name that intrigues me is Willie Taggart at Western Kentucky. He coached under Harbaugh (Jack and Jim both) as rb coach and recruited Cali, along with SEC area. He was a coordinator at WKU and is head coach now and his teams seem to play disciplined football in the times that I've watched them. He has improved the talent level at WKU and will soon be a hot commodity. They're 4-1, with the only loss coming to Alabama by 35.

Back