What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offseason thread: Non-CU players you like/liked to watch

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
My list is kinda all over the place, but here goes:

Jake Plummer (Arizona State): Remember following him from afar as he led ASU to the Rose Bowl his senior year and very nearly the national title. Just played with a certain confidence and style that was fun to watch.

Roy Williams (Oklahoma): He flat out dominated games from the safety position and even though he played in the same conference, it was hard not to respect his game. That leaping hit on Chris Simms remains one of the best plays I have ever seen.

Dat Nguyen (Texas A&M): Fearless player who seemingly made every tackle possible in any game he played. Arguably the best defensive player in Big 12 history. Aggies as a whole remain remain very weird to me, but it was damn fun to watch the KSU title dreams go up in smoke in that 1998 Big 12 title game.

Danny Wuerrfel (Florida): He was the perfect fit for Spurrier's offense and absolutely lit up the scoreboard when that was not so commonplace. When he was on, he was pretty much unstoppable. Also did not hurt that the Old Ball Coach had no issues with running up the score on just about everybody.

Simeon Rice (Illinois): No idea why I remember him, probably because it was weird to see Illinois on TV so much when they had that really good defense. Basically was a DE trapped in a LB's body.

Troy Davis (Iowa State): Pretty much made Iowa State football relevant all by himself. Iowa State was absolutely terrible at the time and they had those God awful uniforms, but somehow he was rushing for 2,000 yards with ease.

Ken Simonton (Oregon State): He and Oregon State came out of nowhere. Dude was stacked for such a short guy and was worth staying up to watch at times. Also extremely awesome to watch what he and his teammates did to Notre Dame in the 2001 Fiesta Bowl.

Michael Vick (Virginia Tech): Years before he went all dogfighting and Ron Mexico on everyone, Vick was a freshman that was just flat out dominant in a pretty weak league. But Vick had his coming out party in the '99 national title game against Florida State, even though Tech lost. Just not used to seeing a freakish athlete like him at QB.

Warren Sapp (Miami): Back when Miami was a perennial title contender and they were full of characters, Sapp fit right in. Dominated the line of scrimmage and was pretty cocky as well. Also remember the big fuss about him failing several drug tests leading up to the NFL draft. Remember when pot was a really big deal?

Tim Dwight (Iowa): A really fast white guy who was also a track star. If not for Wes Welker, every smallish white WR would be compared to him. He could do just about everything, especially in the return game.

The list could go on and I did not list a lot of recent players (Cam Newton, Reggie Bush, Andrew Luck, etc.), but it was still fun to think back a bit to some of these guys that are largely forgotten today.

Anthony Carter WR (Michigan) - This is about the time I got into watching college football. I think he was an All-American his last 3 years. Teams didn't pass much back then and catching around 50 balls a year in the Big 10 around the year 1980 was unprecedented. Fun guy to watch.

Marsahll Faulk RB (San Diego State) - By his junior year, there's a good chance he was the best RB on the planet, college or pro. Should have won the Heisman in 1992 but got robbed.

LaVar Arrington OLB (Penn State) - I'll never forget him timing the snap count to jump over the Illinois OL and get a tackle in the backfield. He was the most gifted athlete at that position that I've seen since Lawrence Taylor.

Jamelle Holieway QB (Oklahoma) - Too small to hold up, but when he was healthy he was the greatest triple option QB I've ever seen. Won a national title as a true freshman.

I like to watch Cyrus Kouandjio the left tackle at Alabama. He's big, tough, and athletic. I like the way he plays the line. Players like him are the reasons why Alabama always has a good running back.

FSU had a run of players I really liked watching in Charlie Ward, Warrick Dunn, and Peter Warrick.

I have to add a +1 on Jake Plummer. I always really enjoyed his style and loved ASU crushing Nebraska.

Napoleon Kaufman at UW was a sight to behold.

Ron Dayne made me a fan of Wisconsin for a couple of years. Loved watching that guy run people over.

Cade McNown at UCLA was another joy to watch on a team I didn't particularly care for.

Matt Schaub (Virginia) Schaub and Rivers had epic duels in 02 and 03.

Phillip Rivers (NC State)

Michael Vick (Virginia Tech)

Heath Miller (Virginia)

Anthony Poindexter (Virginia) No one laid the wood quite like Dex.

Champ Bailey (Georgia)

Santana Moss (Miami)

Peter Warrick (Dillards)

Last edited:
LaVar Arrington OLB (Penn State) - I'll never forget him timing the snap count to jump over the Illinois OL and get a tackle in the backfield. He was the most gifted athlete at that position that I've seen since Lawrence Taylor.

This. Another play I remember watching was in one of those early Saturday B1G games, and happened to catch a punt return where Arrington either decided on his own, or was told to block the punter. The punter wanted nothing to do with the return, or Arrington for that matter, but Arrington basically beat the crap out of him for 10 seconds--shoved him off his feet twice, and wouldn't let him get up. Probably wasn't the most noble thing to do, but it was hilarious and awesome, I was a fan after that.

I used to love watching the Air Force quarterbacks go crazy running the wishbone.

I like following Colorado kids' careers, as long as they're not playing the Buffs, I'm likely to root for them. Unless, that is, they went overboard while spurning CU's attentions (CO to Nublandia, for instance).

I liked watching that short qb at Georgia Tech in the late 90s, think his name was Joey Hamilton. He was like Cody Hawkins size but he could ball. True on Frazier, never forget that one game where I think Jones had him all but sacked but he kept his feet and still completed the damn pass. Frustrating as hell.

Adrian Peterson and Johnny Manziel. I don't much care for Johnny football off of the field, but the dude is spectacular on it.

Desean Jackson and Reggie Bush. Any time those guys got a hand on the ball they could juke their way to the end zone.

Vince Young. I moved to Austin in January of 2006 and watched UT vs USC at a bar in downtown Austin. the city was electric that night and so was Vince. One of the best performances I have seen by a college player.

jc watts
sam bradford guy was stupid good in the RZ
turner gill
tommie frazier
grant wistrom
that wr from mizzou we missed on....jeremy maclin
lb from KSU and darth snyder, jon mcgraw tough sob.
lockett brothers also from darthland

someone else mentioned charlie ward and warrick. studs. ward played pg in the nba too! wow.

Good names in this thread. From last season... Johnny football at ATM and the Bama offensive line.

OJ Simpson - regardless of what happened later in life I still think he was the greatest RB I have ever seen.
Billy Sims - Another Great RB.
Roger Staubach - really proves the difference a good QB can make. Navy won a lot games because of Roger.
Desmond Howard - you held your breath when he got the ball.
Barry Sanders - OSU had a run of good RBs but Barry Sanders was something else.

There are a lot of good players I am missing - Marcus Allen would be up there, Bo Jackson, Tony Dorsett, Tim Tebow was fun to watch in college. Bubba Smith was a great defensive player in college that I like to watch.

Can't believe I forgot Barry Sanders. Rocket Ismail was pretty damn electric and fun to watch, except in the Orange Bowl lol. Thank God for the clipping call.

Watching Pat White when WVU came out to Boulder in 2008 was an eyeopening. He had that 50yrd TD run and made it look so effortless. I remember thinking as soon as he stepped up in the pocket he was was going to score.

Honey Badger!!!

Willis McGahee.

Megatron.

Adrian Petereson (when he wasn't playing the buffs)

Vince Young
John Elway - Dude finished 2nd in Heisman voting with a losing record, that is unheard of now.
Tebow was fun to watch in college
Bo Jackson
Barry Sanders
The Vick brothers (Marcus looked like he would be following Michael into the NFL until he started his hooliganisms)
and I'm still blown away at how precisely Joey Harrington picked us apart in the Fiesta Bowl.

Vince Young
John Elway - Dude finished 2nd in Heisman voting with a losing record, that is unheard of now.
Tebow was fun to watch in college
Bo Jackson
Barry Sanders
The Vick brothers (Marcus looked like he would be following Michael into the NFL until he started his hooliganisms)
and I'm still blown away at how precisely Joey Harrington picked us apart in the Fiesta Bowl.
Not too difficult when the defense is giving away a 12 - 15 yard cushion.

I liked watching that short qb at Georgia Tech in the late 90s, think his name was Joey Hamilton. He was like Cody Hawkins size but he could ball. True on Frazier, never forget that one game where I think Jones had him all but sacked but he kept his feet and still completed the damn pass. Frustrating as hell.

Joe Hamilton was really good. Caused fits.

I'm really having trouble coming up with any names. CU sucking pretty much the whole time I've watched cfb has made me bitter towards anyone good:huh:

Having said that, when I was younger I used to like Miami and all their future pro-player's reflective visors

tumblr_lvc3u9SdzI1qhkiyxo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Back