What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ohio State hiring private dicks to police their athletes.

Can they use the same guys to monitor the NCAA Selection committee, run by Gene Smith.

That's awesome! Gene Smith is blaming boosters for his department's problems.

In a sense he's right, of course, but it's not the the sort of thing you should do in public.

The boosters will eventually turn on him in an counter-attack to his declaration of war, produce a series of emails confirming OSU's complicity and Smith will be run out of town.

I can't wait!

Damn smith makes almost as much as embree and he cant get his own car. what does bohn get for his 300k a year a bike.

There is nothing illegal with this arrangement. The compliance officer just failed at making sure the players did not get an extra benefit..... There is no problem with an employee having access to a car and that car dealer getting tickets.... The problem comes in when the car dealer gives athletes a benefit. Maybe the compliance officer knowingly looked away from the dealer giving benefits... but we don't know that right now...

Very dangerous to call this man a crook....

There is nothing illegal with this arrangement. The compliance officer just failed at making sure the players did not get an extra benefit..... There is no problem with an employee having access to a car and that car dealer getting tickets.... The problem comes in when the car dealer gives athletes a benefit. Maybe the compliance officer knowingly looked away from the dealer giving benefits... but we don't know that right now...

No, you're absolutely right, and I made the same observations.

However, when OSU is one of the programs that has liberal policies regarding compliance officers, and that compliance officer is driving a free car for an exchange of AD product (all legal) it doesn't shed a positive light on what is clearly a permissive culture.

In other words, when your compliance officer is using sports products to procure services, it seems likely that he sets a questionable example. It's a poor policy by the AD, and I'll bet those ADs who permit it will change in the near future.

While I admittedly don't know all the facts, I would not say for certain that this is not illegal. OSU is a state institution, which means season tickets are state property. A state employee exchanging state property for a private benefit which is not called for in said employee's employment contract could be considered misappropriation. Maybe state law permits this, but it does raise questions.

While I admittedly don't know all the facts, I would not say for certain that this is not illegal. OSU is a state institution, which means season tickets are state property. A state employee exchanging state property for a private benefit which is not called for in said employee's employment contract could be considered misappropriation. Maybe state law permits this, but it does raise questions.

We probably wont know all of the facts.... and i am making an assumption here, but the tickets would not be state property most likely because the university almost certainly would have the right to do with the tickets as they please.... otherwise, the state legislature would have to set prices and control them... my best guess is that the university has retained all rights to charge what they want or give them away under an agreement with the state....

While I admittedly don't know all the facts, I would not say for certain that this is not illegal. OSU is a state institution, which means season tickets are state property. A state employee exchanging state property for a private benefit which is not called for in said employee's employment contract could be considered misappropriation.

In addition to what PhillyBuff said, depending on how the OSU Athletic Department is structured, it may not even be a state agency at all, since some schools have separate organizations (typically structured as non-profits) to run their athletic programs...examples of this include Kansas (run by Kansas Athletics, Inc.) and Florida (University Athletic Association)...

In addition to what PhillyBuff said, depending on how the OSU Athletic Department is structured, it may not even be a state agency at all, since some schools have separate organizations (typically structured as non-profits) to run their athletic programs...examples of this include Kansas (run by Kansas Athletics, Inc.) and Florida (University Athletic Association)...

Great point. Once you put a definite article in front of the name of your school, you almost have to be private, right? "The" sounds very exclusive in my opinion.

That's awesome! Gene Smith is blaming boosters for his department's problems.

In a sense he's right, of course, but it's not the the sort of thing you should do in public.

The boosters will eventually turn on him in an counter-attack to his declaration of war, produce a series of emails confirming OSU's complicity and Smith will be run out of town.

I can't wait!
SMU anyone?

A buckeye booster would like to hire this private dick, if tOSU can swing it.

sexy-detective-costume-1.jpg

Back