What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ohio State is really in hot water with the NCAA

images

from the comments in that at article...

Please do not get me started. If you want to match intelligence, I can kick your ass intellectually just as easy as I can physically. There is no difference between the average intelligence level of a college football team collectively compared with the general student population.

Please do not get me started. If you want to match intelligence, I can kick your ass intellectually just as easy as I can physically. There is no difference between the average intelligence level of a college football team collectively compared with the general student population.

Maybe at Ohio State there is.

Am I the only one who thinks that this whole episode is stupid.... it is just another example of how the NCAA exploits market forces on college football for financial gain....

There is an inherent conflict between college football and school.... There is not enough time for players to do both in season.... and they certainly don't have the time to work and make some spending money....

Maybe at Ohio State there is.

I doubt it. The Ohio State U is not known for its academic prowess regardless of football. I get a little sensitive with any "dumb football player" references. I admit we have our share of less than talented students but student-athletes are not the indentured servants we are made out to be. Whether the current crop of student-athletes chooses to leverage their scholarship into a successful future beyond the playing field is completely up to them. What I do not like is the subtle stereotype of the football athlete who is too dumb to know they are being used. I do not feel sorry for those guys. I will defend their ability to succeed without being cast as sub-human ignoramuses barely capable of keeping themselves from committing violence.

Am I the only one who thinks that this whole episode is stupid.... it is just another example of how the NCAA exploits market forces on college football for financial gain....

There is an inherent conflict between college football and school.... There is not enough time for players to do both in season.... and they certainly don't have the time to work and make some spending money....

No. You're not the only one. I think the NCAA is on it's last legs, frankly. In another 10-15 years, the NCAA as we know it will be a thing of the past. It'll be replaced by an oversight committee comprised of representatives of the four major conferences.

I doubt it. The Ohio State U is not known for its academic prowess regardless of football. I get a little sensitive with any "dumb football player" references. I admit we have our share of less than talented students but student-athletes are not the indentured servants we are made out to be. Whether the current crop of student-athletes chooses to leverage their scholarship into a successful future beyond the playing field is completely up to them. What I do not like is the subtle stereotype of the football athlete who is too dumb to know they are being used. I do not feel sorry for those guys. I will defend their ability to succeed without being cast as sub-human ignoramuses barely capable of keeping themselves from committing violence.

quite to the contrary.... these athletes are only guilty of breaking rules that the NCAA has set for them.... you may equate that to stoopid intelligence....

In FACT, they are fing brilliant for obtaining items and selling them for profit.... that very concept is what makes capitalism work....

Methinks these kids are very bright and understand market forces very well.... just someone who "employs" them has decided that they shouldn't do that....

No. You're not the only one. I think the NCAA is on it's last legs, frankly. In another 10-15 years, the NCAA as we know it will be a thing of the past. It'll be replaced by an oversight committee comprised of representatives of the four major conferences.

with the way Larry Scott is on Fire.... we may be down to one conference....

quite to the contrary.... these athletes are only guilty of breaking rules that the NCAA has set for them.... you may equate that to stoopid intelligence....

In FACT, they are fing brilliant for obtaining items and selling them for profit.... that very concept is what makes capitalism work....

Methinks these kids are very bright and understand market forces very well.... just someone who "employs" them has decided that they shouldn't do that....

I think we are on the same page here. My problem is that I do not attach any moral turpitude to someone liquidating an asset that is 100% owned by them individually. It's not like they are selling crack so that they can buy a new SUV. They are selling something that rightfully belongs to them for cash. Why is that an issue?

I think we are on the same page here. My problem is that I do not attach any moral turpitude to someone liquidating an asset that is 100% owned by them individually. It's not like they are selling crack so that they can buy a new SUV. They are selling something that rightfully belongs to them for cash. Why is that an issue?

Only because allowing it would cause all sorts of problems for the organizations they are playing under regarding amateur and non-profit status. Seems unfair, though, that CU has a yard sale at the spring game to sell old practice gear to fans but if a player tried to make 50 bucks off a pair of used cleats the school gave him then it would be an NCAA violation.

That's a great point if one equates EVERTHING in life with money. I suppose it is too much to ask you to realize how we got here. In the beginning young people went to school, then for recess or whatever, they went out and played games. But don't lose the focus here. This is school where the primary purpose is to educate the youth of America. It is not the minor leagues for the NFL or at least it wasn't meant to be. It, in effect, has become that but I would argue that's not a good thing. Other sports, baseball, doesn't have such a bald-faced pretense. There is a book, The Game of Life by Shulman and Bowen. It is subtitled "College Sports and Educational Values." You might consider reading it.

I'm not sure Snow is the best bar to measure your skills against on either count.... :smile2:

For the same reason that it's an issue for players to hold jobs, or Jeremy Bloom to have sponsorships for skiing while an NCAA athlete - the potential for abuse. If these kids are selling their stuff for FMV, I agree with you. But if it's legal for them to sell, it's not hard for a deep pocketed alum to "buy" something from a recruit for half a million if they agree to come to their school. Of course, right now at some schools they just give the kids the money without the pretense, but I can see why they don't want to add a potential "legal" way to do it that opens the door to having to try to police whether a deal is fair or not...

Back