What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Okie State broke?

Denver sc -- there is a caveat concerning okie lite and the attendance increases. The gains also coincide with an AD decision to sell a majority of the tickets via season ticket packages. It became so difficult and expensive to try to get single-game, individual tickets, that many of the fans of opponent teams actually purchased season tics just to ensure they could attend a single game. The change began in 2009, iirc.

true story about Oklahoma State (my sister went there from 94 to 98). For students to get season tickets for basketball, they HAD to buy season tickets for football, and even at that point it was still a lottery. I'm not sure that is how it worked for the general population, but I can imagine it was pretty similar.

So Phineas and Ferb will control the stadium in the summer? What if Candace tells mom?

Perry will deliver some mind crushing blows to some sort of "inator" Doofenshmirtz has designed and the stadium will disappear before mom gets on campus. All while Bowling For Soup will be playing some hard core tunes in the background!

no ****ing way in hell gasm can process what sc posted.

This^^^. My biggest gripe with OMFJISM is whenever someone thinks him into a corner - which happens pretty much every time he posts here - he disappears for a couple of days or week and then returns as if whatever nonsense he got schooled on never happened. Crappy way to conduct oneself if you ever want to be taken seriously.

Perry will deliver some mind crushing blows to some sort of "inator" Doofenshmirtz has designed and the stadium will disappear before mom gets on campus. All while Bowling For Soup will be playing some hard core tunes in the background!

"Perry the Platapus? How did you get here?"

true story about Oklahoma State (my sister went there from 94 to 98). For students to get season tickets for basketball, they HAD to buy season tickets for football, and even at that point it was still a lottery. I'm not sure that is how it worked for the general population, but I can imagine it was pretty similar.
It's kinda funny to think that to get a chance to watch a good product (okie lite bball), you had to buy tickets to the bad product (football). Oh, how things have changed in Stoolwater.

1)Those aren't brand new stadiums
2)Our stadium has guaranteed revenue sources (naming rights, premium seating not available at Hughes, multi-use $'s)

I'm not entirely sure about Cal's situation but I believe the reason no one wants to donate to their stadium is 1) Not brand new and 2)It sits on a dangerous fault line and could fall into oblivion any time.

These scenarios are similar, but not the same. You're comparing apples to oranges

wHz1d.gif

The Maryland situation is eerily similar.

Similarities:
-Planned large expenditure on athletics facility that was to be paid for with future revenue streams, including
_Increased revenue from luxury box suites
_Increased revenue from increased ticket sales
_Increased revenue from stadium naming rights
_Increased revenue from donors, including one "anchor" big donor (the guy that founded UnderArmour)
_Increased revenue from stadium being used for "other events" (concerts, etc)
-Both have very large alumni bases in the vicinity, and alumni bases that, in my experience, want to see their alma mater do well on the athletic field, but even so are generally un-engaged with the teams.
-Both have generally underperformed to their athletic potential over time, especially when compared to regional rivals (VaTech, UVA, Pedo State, Georgetown, etc)

Differences that should benefit UMD over CSU (in other words, these are reasons why they should have better financial results from their stadium project than CSU):
-UMD is actually located inside a metro area with about 6 million residents.
-UMD has about 20% more students (so, a lot more alumni over time)
-UMD's stadium is reachable via metro (and free 5 minute bus ride) [metro = light rail for the lambs who are following along - it basically means that 80% of their alumni base doesn't have to drive 1.5 hours on I-25 to get to the game - this is a huge benefit]
-UMD is already a member of a BCS conference, and have seen their conference payout increase dramatically over the last few years

Differences that should give CSU the edge in revenue improvement:
-UMD's current stadium was already on campus, so they didn't get any increased revenue from this factor.
-CSU has a feasibility study from ICON

So, given the advantages that UMD has over CSU, this should have been a slam dunk. When your stadium is shiny and new and state of the art, AND convenient and easy to get to for over 6 million people, there should be no problem meeting those revenue projections. So, what was their experience:

-increased revenue from selling naming rights
-increased revenue from conference payout (it should be noted that this was guaranteed for them, it was not a "if we get a big boy conference invite")
-increased revenue from donors (but not as much as projected)
-barely increased revenue from luxury box tickets, and by not nearly as much as projected
-did not increase revenue from renting stadium for "other uses"
-decreased revenue from ticket sales
-have to cut several sports completely and reduce expenditures on a number of other sports because increased revenue streams were not as big as projected.

Anyone want to tell me why this is not a preview of what's likely to happen up in Ft Fun?

The idea that there are more than 100 CSU fans willing to pay for club seating is so ****ed it doesn't merit a response.

Back