What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL recruiting - a big problem

Same **** as always its early, don't worry we'll get some recruits yada,yada,yada.

At this point its tough to really care anymore about CU Football. If you can't get the best players in your own backyard I don't know how you are going to convince guys living 1,000 miles away.

I'm at the point of just show me. Tired of the excuses, tired of hearing about his family is moving there, his coach is a XXXXXX man, he liked the OL coach from XXXXXX, etc, etc. Bottom line: this staff is getting their ass kicked in state and its up to them to turn it around.
Then get the **** out if you don't care.

Maybe I'll become a Michigan, Bama, Florida, Texas, USC, Washington and Va Tech fan for next yr and be cool like tini
At least I never turn my back on CU just because we're down and we don't meet your standards in recruiting.

At least I never turn my back on CU just because we're down and we don't meet your standards in recruiting.

:rolling_eyes: You might need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. I said its tough to care, not that I don't care.

lol Tini - Jimmy's been around here for a looooonnnggggg time
Awesome, he found the site a while ago and yet he goes and then he starts saying how he doesn't really care about CU football anymore. Fantastic.

Awesome, he found the site a while ago and yet he goes and then he starts saying how he doesn't really care about CU football anymore. Fantastic.
dude, are you seriously going down this road, knowing your multiple school fandom gives you NO CREDIBILITY?

It's actually a testament to what a good fan Jimmy is that he's this active on the message board despite being this frustrated. Tini, you need to remember that some of us have been pissed off since 2003.

dude, are you seriously going down this road, knowing your multiple school fandom gives you NO CREDIBILITY?
Wait, so someone who says it's tough to care about CU football has more credibility than someone who likes more than one team but never turns his back on CU and goes to every game, follows recruiting religiously, and lives and breathes CU football? Uh wow.

It's actually a testament to what a good fan Jimmy is that he's this active on the message board despite being this frustrated. Tini, you need to remember that some of us have been pissed off since 2003.
And yet he only shows up when something ****** happens...

Wait, so someone who says it's tough to care about CU football has more credibility than someone who likes more than one team but never turns his back on CU and goes to every game, follows recruiting religiously, and lives and breathes CU football? Uh wow.

Tini, it's been tough for a while. From Neuheisel's gutting of our program to Barnett's inconsistency to the media scandal to the HaLkins era. There have been a lot of moments to hope that things were on an upward trajectory only to get kicked in the nuts. Sticking with it during this period has made it hard for some people to feel hope and they're more in "show me" mode. They also have learned to see every negative as a sign that things are still ****ed.

I'm not there, but everyone has his limit. If Embree fails, it will be hard for me to get up for the next guy.

Tini, it's been tough for a while. From Neuheisel's gutting of our program to Barnett's inconsistency to the media scandal to the HaLkins era. There have been a lot of moments to hope that things were on an upward trajectory only to get kicked in the nuts. Sticking with it during this period has made it hard for some people to feel hope and they're more in "show me" mode. They also have learned to see every negative as a sign that things are still ****ed.

I'm not there, but everyone has his limit. If Embree fails, it will be hard for me to get up for the next guy.
I get the frustration 100% but when you only show up to talk about CU when something bad happens, come on, that's bull****. I didn't see Jimmy give any praise to the staff for last cycle with Wright, Crawley, Kisima, etc, only bitching about how ****** they did.

I get the frustration 100% but when you only show up to talk about CU when something bad happens, come on, that's bull****. I didn't see Jimmy give any praise to the staff for last cycle with Wright, Crawley, Kisima, etc, only bitching about how ****** they did.

What you're also missing is the frame of reference.

From 1989 to 1998 CU football was about as successful as USC has been over the past decade. I can't begin to describe how painful it's been to go from that to where we've been. Cut some slack to the folks who remember all too clearly when a 10-2 season was disappointing.

Both of your hypothesized people have issues. Neither one should be throwing stones.

Let's keep it real.

Jimmy is a curmudgeon. His pessimism gets old. But the dood knows college football.

Tini- your biggest issue is one of credibility. You threw CU's seniors under the bus before the Utah game. You came out of the woodwork as an Iowa State fan after the Okie Lite upset. You adore Alabama and think Michigan has better uniforms than CU. And you aren't the strongest torch carrier for CU's 120+ year football tradition. You've never been to an away game. And you are combative.

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/72123-Kisima-jagne-signing-day-pics-exclusive-only-for-allbuffs.com?p=1063795#post1063795

[url]http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/70338-Ranking-of-CU-s-Recruiting-Class?p=1055669#post1055669

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....ey-(Signed-to-Colorado)?p=1054757#post1054757

[/URL]

Let's keep it real.

Jimmy is a curmudgeon. His pessimism gets old. But the dood knows college football.

Tini- your biggest issue is one of credibility. You threw CU's seniors under the bus before the Utah game. You came out of the woodwork as an Iowa State fan after the Okie Lite upset. You adore Alabama and think Michigan has better uniforms than CU. And you aren't the strongest torch carrier for CU's 120+ year football tradition. You've never been to an away game. And you are combative.
Never said that. I said they have more tradition because they have remained pretty much unchanged for years where CU has changed uniforms multiple times since the 1980's and three times from the late 90's to 2011.

Never said that. I said they have more tradition because they have remained pretty much unchanged for years where CU has changed uniforms multiple times since the 1980's and three times from the late 90's to 2011.

Let's set the record straight. Who has a better helmet in your opinion, the Wolverines or the Buffaloes?

What you're also missing is the frame of reference.

From 1989 to 1998 CU football was about as successful as USC has been over the past decade. I can't begin to describe how painful it's been to go from that to where we've been. Cut some slack to the folks who remember all too clearly when a 10-2 season was disappointing.

^^This^^

As one of the older members of this board I remember losing to Drake, I remember a drunk Chuck Fairbanks spending more time decorating his office than he did recruiting. I also remember the program building into a true national power. High school kids all over the country were wearing buffs gear, the coaches were turning down kids who would be considered recruiting coups now.

I don't expect this program to become a perenial top 10 program again (but don't rule it out because it could happen again.) but I do expect this program to be a perenial top 25 program that has a real shot at earning BCS level bowl games.

Hawkins tore this program down and ran over it with a bulldozer. The level of team that Embree inherited last year was a joke. We weren't even ready to compete in the MWC much less the PAC 12. At virtually every position on the field we had a talent deficit, a size deficit, a speed deficit, and on top of that we had a major attitude deficit.

I am overall happy with Embree and his staff and what they have accomplished in a bit over a year. The first recruiting class, put together in just a few weeks was a start toward bringing our talent level back to that we will be facing on the field. Over the course of the year they managed to start to overcome the loser mentality that had permiated the team. We had a strong finish to the season including, finally, a road win and got that monkey at least climing down if not off our backs. This years class consisted off virtually all players who other AQ level schools wanted, including some size and speed and skills that we were severely lacking.

That all said, a start doesn't mean you are there yet. To reach the point we want to be we have to have some better results on the field. We have to win some games to show people we are improving and that this is an up and coming program. We have to be more competitive in the games we lose, last year we were saved major embarrasment only by a couple of coaches showing some class and calling off the dogs very early against us.

Most importantly recruiting wise we have to maintain the quality on the lower end of the class but bring in more top quality guys on the top end of the class, the 4*/5* type guys who most often become your difference makers. We also have to show that we can much more effectively recruit our own state, especially on the O-Line. This doesn't mean that we have to get every guy but we have to start consistently getting most of the top ones. Do this and we will continue to grow as a program and big bowl games will be in our future, fail and we become at best a middle of the road ho-hum program that doesn't meet it's potential.

Stripes on shoulder. Stripes down side. No stripes. Numbers on helmets. Numbers off. Gloves with logo. M on pants. M on shirt. White pants. Maize pants. M off pants. Piping.

a6934894-eb45-1094.jpg
a6934894-eb4e-b1c9.jpg
a6934894-eb66-2f42.jpg
a6934894-eb71-9b34.jpg
a6934894-eb7a-b8c3.jpg
a6934894-eb88-dbb7.jpg
a6934894-eb95-3250.jpg
a6934894-ebea-5526.jpg

I am going to list the OOS state prospects (again) that we failed to close on in the 2012 class:

-Max Tuerk Doesn't get low. Poor leverage
-Zach Hemmila Bad technique
-Nick Davidson Slow off the ball
-Colby Cyburt Didn't want to be a Buff. Headcase.
-Walker Williams Nice family, but I didn't really want this commit.
-Travis Averill Bad lateral movement
-Garrett Weinreich Wasn't liked by teammates. A cancer on his team.
-Stephon McCray Doesn't fit into our system
-Shane Brostek Lacks size and strength.
-Steven Moore See him more as a DII athlete.
-Jordan Williams I don't like his burst off the ball.
-Jordan Roos We're better off without this one. Trust me.

Signed,

Big Bang 2

Y'know - looking through this and remembering from the threads of the cycle last year, it seems to me that most, if not all, of these kids were parent transplants. Now, Jimmy, I know you are probably going into orbit right now, but give me a chance here.

Fact - Kozan, O'Connor, and this year Fox had parents from outside the state and thus loyalties to colleges other than CU. Not sure about the Thurston and Callahan ties to the state but seem to remember there wasn't much native there either, and parents weren't CU grads.

Everyone says that CU should lock down the state - no matter the circumstances. UT is often cited as an example. Well, having lived there for two years, know this. All those 4* and 5*kids that commit to Mack Brown and his papier mache program have generally been born and bred Texas from day one. If their parents didn't go to school there, they have at least lived in Texas and been Whorn (Or aggy) fans their entire lives - it will naturally translate to the kids. The only recent top UT in state recruit I've seen with stronger out of state ties was Malcolm Brown from San Antonio who had only moved there the year before because his dad was in the Air Force.

Now - I'm going to push a HUGE hypothetical here, and I'll use my youngest as the example since he has been built by God to be a lineman - no doubt. Suppose we stay here in Washington (comparable to CO for HS talent) for him to make it all the way through HS and by some miracle a 4* or 5* OL. What do you think the UW or Wazzu faithful will say when he commits to CU? Probably the same stuff Jimmy says now - refusing to take family ties into consideration. Sometimes blood is thicker than borders here, and we need to realize that.

I know it's been said before - but any kid who had parent ties to CU (Miller, Kasa) came here and in Kasa's case in spite of Hawk. Overall, it comes down to "if you win, they will come." We need to win, and we will lock down the state.

Disclaimer: Lineman son wants to be a professional diver and marine biologist - no matter how hard I try - he may end up at Hawaii. Any suggestions for shaping? And if the "dual threats" go against genetics and make it - no doubt they will be Buffs no matter where we live.

If now isn't a good time to panic, when would be? I need to know these things.

I want to seriously know what great benefit there is in panicking??? So some posters who love to dwell on the negative can start ripping on our coaching staff and with a full-blown panic others will feed the frenzy?

Two weeks after the signing of a solid recruiting class we are suppose to officially have an All-Buffs "panic"!!!

Sorry, but there are a lot of positives going on with this program and I recommend fans enjoy the positives for awhile - there will always be negatives somewhere.

I see it improving as winning becomes the norm again. This losing **** has been going on for about 6 or 7 years. I would think it had an affect on the instate prospects especially, alot of these guys grew up watching some really terrible football. I get that CU should be able to win a few of these battles regardless of w/l record and it is a must that starts to happen. Winning more games would sure help our cause tho. As far as the instate guys, we need to be able to lock up the best ones. However, we cant pass on better players who live elsewhere just because we have a good player at home. This past year, I really didnt feel we had much of a shot with any of the top olinemen instate for one reason or another. Thurston was the most disappointing imo. Im a firm believer in it all begins up front, on both sides of the ball. I get the frustration of some here, im one of them. That said, Id venture to say that Embree and Crew are well aware this trend has to be fixed. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

It's not time to panic, but given that the in state class isn't looking nearly as potent as last year, the loss of Fox is tough. Not that it wasn't expected, it's just frustrating.

This class will probably come down to how successful we are in recruiting the OL kids out of the Trinity league in socal. Lots of solid prospects coming out of there this year.

Back