What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

One year in the PAC-12, how did it feel?

The SEC will be a good fit for Aggie. You have the institutional support of athletics necessay to compete in the SEC. There is a never ending list of boosters willing to fund any request and facilities are already substantial. aTm is steeped in tradition like the bonfire, midnight yell practice, 12th man and that gay para-military cheer corps. In a year, ask yourself the same question you posed to Buff fans, I think your response will be similar ..... Better exposure, better revenue, less ames and lubbock and stoolwater. **** the Big12, **** Texas.... No regrets, go Aggie!

Has recruiting changed besides where you recruit? I assume the west coast has the greatest focus now outside of Colorado. Has recruiting improved? Stayed the same? I'm not sure if that's easy to measure, as you guys are the biggest program in the state, A&M has a couple of programs to compete against in the State of Texas, but the move has paid dividends for A&M in recruiting already, and I was wondering if CU has experienced anything similar yet?

That's what is so weird with this. We already recruited California heavily when we were in the Big 8. Under Barnett in the Big 12, the balance shifted and we recruited Texas at least as heavily. But HaLkins was so out of touch that he thought he'd win in the Big 12 without recruiting Texas at all. So, the weird thing is that since joining the Pac-12 we've started recruiting Texas more heavily -- and we're also finally back in Louisiana. If there's a regional change, it's that we are focusing much more on the secondary recruiting grounds in Arizona, Washington and Oregon than we are the previous ones of Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas.

CU's probably not a good example for you guys on this one.

I've heard the local business people(Pearl St. specifically) are really appreciating the move too. The Pac 12 away fans that have come to town, so far, are generally spending more money and giving their stores more traffic then they ever got from the previous conference's fans. I think it speaks to the cultural fit with the other Pac 12 schools. A Nebraska or Oklahoma fan might look at Boulder as hippyville, a Cal fan or Oregon fan might think it feels like home.

Local merchants were pleasantly surprised. Fewer away fans, but they support the Boulder-based businesses that are more expensive than the chains. I don't think it's a coincidence that our fine dining restaurants are thriving while we've seen our Island Burger, Applebees and a Wendy's go out of business in the last year.

This is correct, we stopped running them after the national championship, we're going to run some more marketing after July 1st.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone. I would say CU made the best move out of everyone, maybe with the exception of TCU, who got lucky in all this. A&M made the second best move because while the conference they moved to is incredibly stable, and TV rich, it's also the most difficult. CU got probably the best commissioner in college football in Larry Scott, dude is a guru.

I know there were serious issues with culture and travel (as opposed to the conservatism and gulf coast focus of the SEC), but from an academics standpoint it would have made a lot of sense if you'd joined with us when the Pac-16 option was on the table.

btw, the Turgeon-Boyle relationship is what made me much more Aggy-friendly than I had been.

aTm is a school deserving of being a center of attention in it's own state. You guys are a quality academic schools with a huge fan base and as BuffHerd details a lot of tradition.

As long as you guys stayed in the Big XII you were always going to me either an afterthought to UT or have your identity tied to UT in the Public eye. It was going to be about the game with UT or where you were in the standings compared to UT, etc. Your school deserves better than this as you have enough accomplishments and history to be looked at withouth the constant connection and comparison to the whorens. In the Big XII your big games every year were always going to be with UT and OU so it was hard to get out of this trap.

In the SEC you guys will play plenty of games against school that are high enough profile to put the attention on you and what you are doing. Your standings won't include UT or OU and you will be a part of the SEC media package on CBS.

The competition will be tough but the money is better and you will be in a conference where you aren't looked at as a little brother to UT. In the end I think you guys will be very happy that you made the move.

The Big 12 can go choke on a big bag of dicks.

The day CU bolted for the PAC 12 was like Christmas. It was like leaving a crappy hourly wage job with no benefits and hiring on with a new employer that pays a decent salary. It was like graduating from a public high school full of dipshits and moving to an awesome college on a full ride scholarship. It felt like moving out of a tornado ravaged trailor park in a fly-over state and into your own home with an oceanfront view. It felt like divorcing a high maintenance fat, ugly wife and running off with a smokin' hot soul mate. This promotion to the PAC 12 felt like growth, progress, and emancipation. Free at last! Praise the Lord! BuffNation is free at last!

One year later I don't miss the Big 12, not one bit. Been there. done that. Got the T-shirt. I don't miss conference championships being hosted in either Texas or Missouri. I don't miss Dan Beebe serving as the lap dog of DeLoss Dodd and the other I-35 mob bosses. I don't miss the Bon Fire nor the Red River Shoot Out nor Bedlam nor the Boarder War. I really don't miss the self proclaimed "classiest fans in college football" flooding into Folsom field. We all pray for whatever needs to happen to ensure UT and their trailing entourage of bitches stay the hell out of the Pac 12.

It's going to be a long term project getting to really know the new conference. Season by season I'll chip away at the road trips to the various campuses. Each Pac 12 location is a travel destination of sorts that offer something for the entire family. There are beaches, amusement parks, movie studios, world class dinning, microbreweries, wine tours, famous golf courses, access to National Parks, ski resorts and tens of thousands of fellow alumni who have taken up residence across the great American West. This is in addition to football that is being played at the highest level by many future NFL players. I'm looking forward to the task of exploring each and every campus and stadium.

The fans from other PAC 12 schools that have come through Boulder last season have been cordial and generally complementary. Giving up home losses to everyone but Arizona certainly helped to provide a reputation that Boulder is as close to an automatic win for the bad guys. This must change as quickly as possible.

CU is attempting to overcome alot of self inflicted wounds. The 2002 pseudo scandal involving alleged sex parties for recruits has brought about a deliberate institutional controls that have been detrimental to the success of Colorado's football program. During the past decade, our facilities upgrades have been limited to a locker room remodel and a practice bubble. The coaching selection of Dan "do it the right way" Hawkins backfired big time. (Lesson 1 - beware of college coaches who recruit their own kid. Lesson 2 - Hawkins was NOT driving the success of Boise. Lesson 3 - College football is an arms race that requires active promotion at and above the Athletic Director title.)

It's hard to tell when CU might bounce back. Jon Embree is attempting to infuse the culture of CU's pre BCS glory days back into the program. The jury is out as to whether this coaching experiment will succeed. We're playing for bowl game eligibility in 2012, not a South division championship. There is a talent disparity with U$C, Whoregon and Furd that is difficult to bridge by Embree's 2011 and 2012 recruiting classes. (One similarity between Hawkins and Obama is that both screwed up the pipeline to Texas.) Jon Embree and his staff are going to need to fight above their weight class in order to turn the corner. The coaches have the energy and passion, but they don't have much of a BCS resume in terms of wins and losses, nor do they have conference leading salaries. We'll have to wait and see whether Embree and staff can develop a reputation for turning 3-star and below talent into all conference performers and NFL draft picks. CU is at a fragile point and we must hope for many things to break the right way for any ascencion from the cellar to the penthouse suite. We couldn't outspend our opponents in the B12 and we are not as well monied as USC or Stanford or Oregon, either.

So we offer early playing time and look forward to the upcoming announcement about what will hopefully be a major facilities upgrade that is made possible by uncle Larry Scott's network money and a CU booster who hit the jackpot drilling for energy in the Andarko Basin. We cautiously hope for more than 5 wins this season and are looking for other signs of progress, including fewer blow-out losses against the top tier teams in the conference.

The season of reckoning for Jon Embree is 2014, his forth year at the helm. If Embree pulls CU up from rock bottom and delivers back to back winning seasons, he could be in the position to extend his contract and become a two-comma coach. I'd love that. But if years 2, 3 and 4 result in loosing seasons, then he'll be on the hot seat. We're ready to embrace Embree if he wins, or spend on somebody else if he loses. It's as simple as that.

Here's a few quick thought on A&M's move. 1) Y'all had sawing off UT's horns in your fight song and a cultural bond to your State's flagship university. Colorado's fight song does not incorporate Nebraska nor Colorado State. We won't suffer the same identity crisis in the PAC that you Aggies are facing in the SEC. 2) SEC fans are just as obnoxious as UT fans, but there are more of them. Good luck with that. In the PAC 12, the internet fan culture doesn't generally resort to terms like "curb-stomp", "mud hole" and "prepare your anus". 3) You'll have to come back and tell us about your experience in the SEC-NASCAR south. I'm looking forward to the hilarity that will ensue once the hoards of jort wearing, corndog scented SEC rednecks roll into College Station and attempt to wrap their minds around your male yell leaders and jack boot wearing sword wielding corps of cadets.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys won't miss the B12, but you will miss handing UT a big fat turd sanwhich every other Thanksgiving. I wish you guys well in your new conference. I'd like nothing more than to see programs like Alabama, LSU, and Florida who think they are just a 1/4 step below the NFL lose to the new kids in the conference.

The irony....

This is a perfect teaching opportunity right here.

Lefty and buffedup are using Pac12 smack, which relies on using the frontal part of the brain. Literary elements of irony, sarcasm, and superior displays of knowledge have a premium when communicating with our peers at Cal. (They tend to take spelling too seriously!)

Nonregag was able to start a decent thread by appearing sincere in his language. He'd do well in the PAC.

But the SEC and Big 12 primarily rely on the back of their brains in the same area that is concerned about killing pigs and smoking and eating their flesh while drinking cheap beer and thinking about sticking the penis in various orifices.

When replying to Aggie, I thought the message might come across more clearly using both lobes of the brain. Throw in a little medula oblongata for Aggie and a little cerebral cortex for the PAC 12.

I hope you asshats don't forget how to speak dooshbag in our new conference. One of the reasons Tigerboard and The Shag is so funny and the Pac12 boards are so boring is because our new conference members have an underdeveloped reptilian brain. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't miss the self proclaimed "classiest fans in collage football" flooding into Folsom field. We all pray for whatever needs to happen to ensure UT and their trailing entourage of bitches stay the hell out of the Pac 12.

I think you meant to say "college" here :hippie:and "emancipation" in the first paragraph.

Last edited:
But the SEC and Big 12 primarily rely on the back of their brains in the same area that is concerned about killing pigs and smoking the meat while drinking cheap beer and thinking about sticking the penis is various orifaces.

"in" and "orifices" also require editing. Otherwise, your grammar appears correct.

While I'm at it, good luck Aggie. Hope we run into you again.

Holiday_Bowl_bw_t440.jpg

Cal-DerekCampbellSlides.jpg

Last edited:
" We'll have to wait and see whether Embree and staff can develop a reputation for turning 3-star and below talent into all conference performers and NFL draft picks."
That's a very tough thing to do, and people froget that the great Mac teams had alot of blue chip recruits.

I think you meant to say "college" here :hippie:and "emancipation" in the first paragraph.

"in" and "orifices" also require editing. Otherwise, your grammar appears correct.

You undoubtedly have the urge to correct how I spell DOOSHBAG when I call you one. :lol:.

The CU buffs worked hard on our reputation for being the worst fan base in the Big 12. If you want proper spelling, go hang out on a Furd board, you ninny.

It's my job to pay that good old Big 12 trash talk and stoopid spelling forward. Come at me, bro.

BTW - Flukes , did you ever see this thread that was made in your honor?

You undoubtedly have the urge to correct how I spell DOOSHBAG when I call you one. :lol:.

The CU buffs worked hard on our reputation for being the worst fan base in the Big 12. If you want proper spelling, go hang out on a Furd board, you ninny.

It's my job to pay that good old Big 12 trash talk and stoopid spelling forward. Come at me, bro.

BTW - Flukes , did you ever see this thread that was made in your honor?

Ha ha. I wasn't aware furd had a board. I'm also not sure how I missed that thread but I appreciated it today. Well played as always...

" We'll have to wait and see whether Embree and staff can develop a reputation for turning 3-star and below talent into all conference performers and NFL draft picks."
That's a very tough thing to do, and people froget that the great Mac teams had alot of blue chip recruits.

And I'm willing to bet his early teams weren't full of blue chips, not really sure why you brought that up because it really has no bearing on our current situation. It took Mac time, it's gonna take Embree time as well.

My point is not every coach is deserving of getting the time to build a program as Mac was. This is how we got stuck with Hawkins for five years.

My point is not every coach is deserving of getting the time to build a program as Mac was. This is how we got stuck with Hawkins for five years.
Who is saying Embree will get the same amount of time? All I said is that Embree is not going to turn it around overnight.

I agree with the first part of that. As to the 2nd part, no one thinks HaLk around because he was Mac-like. It was totally about politics and money.

If Embree's program is going downhill in year 3, year 4 will need to be a breakthrough or he isn't getting a year 5.

I agree with the first part of that. As to the 2nd part, no one thinks HaLk around because he was Mac-like. It was totally about politics and money.

If Embree's program is going downhill in year 3, year 4 will need to be a breakthrough or he isn't getting a year 5.

I think Embree has the backing of the donors which will give him at least 4 years. I think this years class is ger underwhelming for a staff that was hired because they could recruit lights out. That and they were cheap.

Of course this is a moot point because we will probably beat USC which will cause Bohn to prematurely extend him anyway.

Hey it would be great if we could at some point in the future look at a Embree as a benchmark of the teams success. Here's to hoping he goes out and makes it happen

Financially it was a good move for CU, the future is secure and revenue sharing is the way to go. Texas was going to suck the conference dry (it probably still will). The Big 12 was a great FB conference (and basketball) and I miss some of rivalry aspects that are now gone but in reality they are gone even if we stayed with so many teams leaving. You could safely say the Big 12 lost 4 of their Top 6 ot 7 teams...that is a big hit for any conference.

It is hard to enjoy losing in any conference.

Back