What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Only one endzone for Northwestern-Illinois

Well the other touchdown area is still there, there is just a wall at the back of it. If there is a fumble, int, punt, or kick return, I'm sure the guy will be smart enough to stop before running into the wall. The problem with the wall comes in when the offense is in the red zone and has routes that go near the back of the endzone. There isn't much room in the back.

[video=youtube;MdWK-aam0Jo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWK-aam0Jo[/video]

Saw one of the local sports talk shows suggesting CU and CSU should play in Coors field the other day. Stupidist idea ever!

Well, I guess since the game can't sell out Invesco maybe they need to look someplace smaller... :lol:

Of course, Folsom is roughly the same seating capacity as Coors... :lol:

Classic Bronco Nagurski story... highlighted... :lol:

Football

Wrigley Field football configuration with extra bleacher seats in right field

The Chicago Bears of the National Football League played at Wrigley Field from 1921 to 1970 before relocating to Soldier Field.

The football field ran north-to-south, i.e. from left field to the foul side of first base. The remodeling of the bleachers made for a very tight fit for the gridiron. In fact, the corner of the south end zone was literally in the visiting baseball team's dugout, which was filled with pads for safety, and required a special ground rule that sliced off that corner of the end zone. One corner of the north end line ran just inches short of the left field wall.

There is a legend that Bronko Nagurski, the great Bears fullback, steamrolled through the line, head down, and ran all the way through that end zone, smacking his leather-helmeted head on the bricks. He went back to the bench and told Coach "Papa Bear" George Halas, "That last guy gave me quite a lick!" That kind of incident prompted the Bears to hang some padding in front of the wall.

On April 22, 2010, it was announced that the Northwestern Wildcats and the Illinois Fighting Illini will play a collegiate football game at Wrigley Field on November 20, 2010. It will be the first football game at Wrigley Field since 1970 and the first collegiate football game at Wrigley Field since 1938 where DePaul University played their regular games at Wrigley.[9] The field will use an east/west field configuration (home plate to right field). In order to keep the playing field at regulation size, the safety clearances for each end zone to the walls in the field is considerably less than normal. In particular, the east/right field end zone came under scrutiny as its end zone was wedged extremely close to the right field wall (as close as one foot in some areas), forcing the goal posts to be hung from the right field wall in order to fit. Despite extra padding provided in these locations, it was decided that all offensive plays for both teams will play to the west end zone, where there is more safety clearance. (The east end zone could still be used on defensive and special teams touchdowns, as well as defensive safeties.)[10]

Coors would probably be one of the better baseball-specific parks to hold such a game in. Way more space than somewhere like Wrigley, although obviously not optimal.

this is the dumbest thing ever, I will not watch this ****ty game.

I am going to DVR the game to watch a quarter or so for only one reason... to see how they handle this silly game. If they had not made this decision, I would never even considered watching this.

:lol: i know he is gone but, i could have just seen a thing like this playing out next year with CU and hawkins.

"CU, to accomidate the new Pac-12 Schedule, dropped a scheduled home game against a yet to be scheduled team in order to play North East Chicago Dogs School of Casing Meat in the Famous Wrigley Field while it was being renovated. It was a poor decision as the Buffs were cased by the Dogs 51-29. Hawkins after the game was quoted as saying, "Well, we couldnt cut the mustard today."

Colorado lost 10 starters during pregame warm ups because the coaching staff were unable to adapt to the close wall at their end of the stadium and ran 44 of the 60 person travel squad square into the wall during pregame warm ups. 8 of the starters are in the hospital with concussions. the other two are week to week. the remaining players suffered minor scrapes and bumps but its not know when they will get over the loss to.......

that team.

:smile2:

The addition of a goal post in the gimpy endzone is a nice touch.

Just saw a highlight from this game a little while ago and Northwestern scored a TD in the "forbidden" end zone on a pick 6. :lol:

Easily the best Gameday show in a long time. Ditka. Banks.

Pretty good game too. Illini rolled up 500 yards rushing on wonderboy Fitzgerald's defense.

Back