What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Open Letter to Mike Bohn, Phil DiSefano and Bruce Benson - long

Buffalo Brad

Club Member
Club Member
I know it may not do any good, but I sent this off tonight. Mods, I tried to enter this as a Blog but it was too long. If you could add this to my blog area, I would appreciate it.

Brad

Good evening gentlemen,

Today marks a very low point in our program, and it is our program. I graduated from the Business School in 1989 with a degree in Marketing and again in 1990 with an MBA. I have been an avid fan of all of CU's athletic teams since the day I stepped on campus back in 85 and there are areas to be proud of today. Sadly, the football program is not one of them.

The situation with the football team has gone way beyond a rebuilding effort. At the beginning of the season I had what I thought were reasonable expectations. I mention this because I was one that did not think this team would reach a bowl game. I thought we would be a 4 or 5 win team with young players that would show signs of progress and growth. Instead we have a team that loses to a very bad CSU team, loses to a FCS team and is regressing each week. We are now watching a team that is not progressing, has been run off of the field, is not coached well and is becoming the laughing stock of college football. I never thought things could this bad.

Jon Embree and his staff are completely lost and we are seeing the direct results of hiring a staff that had absolutely no experience in running a program. Greg Brown was the only coach who had even been a coordinator and that was one season as a co-coordinator on a very bad Arizona team that fired their coach. While the team is young, there is some talent on this team. The kids are not being put into position to make plays, adjustments are not being made and the coaches obviously do not know what to do. Jon even says as much in his post game interviews and has a deer in the headlights look while trying to answer questions.

The team is dead last in scoring offense, we are at the bottom of every defensive category in major college football. These trends are being noticed across the nation, by fans and recruits. We are entering a death spiral that will be hard to break without major changes. By death spiral I mean the damage being done on the field weekly is going to limit the talent the staff can pull in during recruiting. Without talent, the loses will continue to mount. If we were at least somewhat competitive, the current staff would still be able to sell hope to potential recruits and continue to draw talent into the program. As of now, we cannot even get the state of Colorado's best talent to consider CU. CSU now has commitments from more high level in state talent than we can dream of.

I am writing to you to ask you to protect our highest profile sport and make the changes necessary to get CU back on a path to success. A successful football program is a mighty marketing tool and is something that is possible even at a highly successful research based school like CU. look at our peer institutions and the evidence is available: Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, Stanford, Washington, etc. Academic success and athletic success are not mutually exclusive and one should not be sacrificed in the name of the other.

In closing, you all need to make changes before you lose more fans, boosters, and revenue. Whether it be in the coming weeks or right after the Utah game, a coaching change needs to be made. This is not a repeat of Coach Mac's turn around. While he did hit a 1-10 record in 1984, his team competed and showed progress that he used as a selling tool to those great recruiting classes that were the foundation of the great teams we fielded in the mid 80's to mid 90's. without a change, you are just prolonging the the process and timeline of truly rebuilding.

Thank you for your time in reading this and I hope we see you all collectively make the changes to save OUR program.

Sincerely,

Buffalo Brad

Last edited:
Well done. And nice use of "death spiral".....I have been using that term for several weeks.

Back