1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opponent Preview: Colorado State Rams

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Sexton Hardcastle, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

QB:Fairchild doesn't seem to be too impressed with the QB's in Ft. Fun, but he did get production out of Billie Farris. Which, to me, is very impressive.
    It looks like Grant Stucker will win the job, but I wouldn't be suprised to see JUCO QB Jon Eastman get the nod.

RB: Gartrell Johnson has moved on to the NFL(thank god). GJ averaged 7.9 ypc against the Buffs D last season. This year John Mosure should be expected to be the No. 1 RB. But I expect Fairchild to have both Mosure and Leonard Mason as a running back by committee deal. Don't be suprised to see Chris Nwoke on Sunday. It should be pointed out that only Mosure has had any PT out of all the RB's.

WR:I'm sure most B
    uff fans remember what Raushaun Greer and Dion Morton are capable of. Greer had 8 receptions for 70 yards last year. Morton had 4 rec for 53 yards and a TD. Both are now seniors. This will be a good test for our DB's. I'm confident they'll limit the damage. Especially with a new QB under center.

OL: This is the Rams strength this year. They have a solid unit. This scares me a bit. With the current DL problems we have, our LB will have to step up big time to stop the run. As well as provide the pressure.

MontanaBuff likes this.
  2. Sexton Hardcastle

I'm not familiar with the Defense. But from what I hear it's experienced group.

3. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

The defense is a bit undersized in the front seven. The defensive line is young. Losing Brewer really hurts their LBs. Sisson is a good young player, but you wonder if he can hold up over a whole season taking on the bigger bodies with Brewer out. The secondary is average. Still a lot of question marks on that side of the ball.

Both teams have major question marks on special teams.

4. Sexton Hardcastle

I know Mosure will return for the Lambs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpj0aa4j7iM"]YouTube - Showdown - John Mosure returns the kickoff[/ame]

5. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

True, but our LB's are one of our top strength's going into the season, which will hopefully make up for their strong OL and our inexperience on the DL.

6. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

They will have 4 weapons at WR. Overall, their D looks questionable though. Kerr will have them ready though. I don't think their D has the speed to stay with some of our RB's. Given we are not exactly burners at WR, we likely can't exploit that fact. I think our O-Line can manhandle their D-Line if we have it together by then. We ran the ball in the 2H last year pretty good and we will be better and I expect their DL will be worst this year.

7. Sexton Hardcastle

Really. Aside from Morton and Greer, I don't see anyone worth getting worried over. Mosure caught some passes(16rec. 122yds) but nothing big.

Who am I overlooking?

8. Duff Man

One guy that is untested, but they're very high on is Marquise Law.

9. Sexton Hardcastle

How good is he? I haven't heard much on him.

10. Duff Man

He got injured, so that cut short his true freshman season, but Fairchild has had some nice things to say about him. Tall with some speed, he can present some matchup problems. Someone to keep an eye down the road, but I got to think Morton and Greer are going to be the focal points against us. I think it is going to be a fun matchup between their WRs and our DBs, strength on strength.

11. Sexton Hardcastle

I guess the other must be Gardner. Doesn't have impressive numbers, but might be primed for a breakout year. Someone at WR for them has to have a great game. It happens every year. :lol:

12. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

valdezj,

Are you going to do the CSU defense too?

Loved the preview of their offense! :thumbsup:

13. Sexton Hardcastle

I just slapped something together quickly. I'll try to get something up tomorrow. :thumbsup:

14. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Our DB's should be able to control their strength (WR's). We should really win this game

15. Sexton Hardcastle

I think you're right, but my biggest concern is handling their Oline.

16. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

My concern is if we start slowly in the run game and we need to make plays via the air. Looks like the TE/rb's will have to be our air attack.

CU needs to come out and push csu's dl line around and establish that run game from the get go.

17. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Yep. Their running game shouldn't really be too impressive tho... and it sounds like our DL is gonna surprise

18. Sexton Hardcastle

How about the defensive line?

Projected Starters: DT J. Morehead (Jr), NT G. Miller (Sr), RE T. Whittier (Jr), LE C. Macon (Jr)

DL: Things go from bad to worse. Last season the Rams were awful up front. The defense gave up 410ypg on average (9th MWC). They placed last in the nation in sacks (0.69 per game), and second to last in TFL (3.92per game). The only returning starter for the Rams is DT James Morehead, who is dealing with a lingering shoulder injury. He's already missed practice time this year.

On the bright side here is how can it get any worse? Hey, Ty Whittier is also up the the Rudy Award. That’s about the only positives I can find.

19. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

As far as I know both us and CSU has a strong Oline but we both lack any playmakers on the Dline. So it is most likely going to be a game in which there are very few sacks from either DL and quite a bit of RB production from both teams. (of course our RB's will produce 10 fold what theirs do)

20. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Valdez, I'm sick and tired of people gushing all over your copy and pastes and insightful analysis.

If you're so ****ing smart, why didn't you know that Eastman would get injured?

MVP my ass.:smile2:

21. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I actually think our DLine will be a pleasant surprise in that first week against CSU. I really just have a good feeling about this entire season.

22. LilBunky

LilBunky Guest

:yeahthat:

23. Sexton Hardcastle

What was that number two? :smile2: