What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Oregon State hires Wisconsin´s Gary Andersen

i'm sticking with my theory of "Alvarez is a micromanager w/r/t football"

I personally think Alvarez is telling the coaches what they will and will not do. Much like I wanted RG to do with telling MM to can a couple coaches here after the Utah game, but someone made some points that you do that and the coach tells you to **** off. Well....yes, the UW coaches had opportunities to go somewhere else, but you have to think going OSU over UW means that Alvarez is trying to still be the coach, without the recruiting travel. Or something to that effect. This makes so little sense otherwise.

Read reports last night that Pelini was about sold on the Youngstown job, but is holding off now because Wiscy is talking to his agent. Not sure how valid that is, but that scenario makes me very happy.

Wisconsin candidates.

Darrell Bevell is the most interesting name on that list to me. For recruiting purposes, his NFL coaching experience and Wisconsin ties should set him up well.

I keep hearing Paul Chryst, so that has to be wrong

--hokiehead's brother

@sacky - The Oregon State AD is Bob De Carolis and he is probably retiring in a year. His contract is up and he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.

My speculation about the move by Andersen is that it's all about family. Andersen is LDS and there is a much (MUCH) bigger LDS presence in Oregon than in Wisconsin. I'm sure there are other factors but I'm willing to bet that's 90% of it.

I believe Gary Anderson is Catholic. Anderson's kids spent most of their time in Utah at Juan Diego, a Catholic School. Anderson's 2 youngest kids, a great MLB and a decent WR, finished up at Logan High playing on the same team as a younger Sam Bennion. Oregon, Wisconsin anywhere there is a University, there will be Mormons, so that would play a minimal role in his choice anyway.

@sacky - The Oregon State AD is Bob De Carolis and he is probably retiring in a year. His contract is up and he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.

My speculation about the move by Andersen is that it's all about family. Andersen is LDS and there is a much (MUCH) bigger LDS presence in Oregon than in Wisconsin. I'm sure there are other factors but I'm willing to bet that's 90% of it.

That I don't buy. If that line of thinking works, then why not take over here two years ago? I think this is all Barry Alvarez micromanaging him...I think the fact that Alvarez said he's gonna coach the bowl game is pretty telling.

Tried to find his religious affiliation on line and couldn't. He was born in Salt Lake and went to an LDS college (Ricks) but that doesn't mean he is LDS just like his son going to a Catholic HS doesn't mean he is Catholic. In both cases there are plenty of people who are not of that religion at each.

He appears to either be non-practicing or very private about it. he did make some comments when at Utah State that many thought were anti-LDS.

I think his leaving is mostly due to Alvarez being intrusive on the program. The one time coach can't let it go. Anderson has also spent most of his life in the west with one season at SE Louisiana and his stay at Wisconsin being his only exceptions. OSU sounds like a good fit for him.

I think Anderson saw the writing on the wall. With the way they were destroyed in the B1G championship game, Gordon declaring for the draft and lots of other losses from the starting 22... water was about to get very hot for him in Madison.

As TD posted in the Coach thread... It looks like they Targeted Paul Chryst, which i think would be a tremendous save if Wiscy can seal the deal

I think Anderson saw the writing on the wall. With the way they were destroyed in the B1G championship game, Gordon declaring for the draft and lots of other losses from the starting 22... water was about to get very hot for him in Madison.

You honestly think that? He was just beginning to get his recruits into the starting lineup, with next year being year 3 of his tenure. I can't see a coach believing that the team is going to tank because guys are graduating. Usually year 3 is when the coach's stamp is really beginning to be on the program.

You honestly think that? He was just beginning to get his recruits into the starting lineup, with next year being year 3 of his tenure. I can't see a coach believing that the team is going to tank because guys are graduating. Usually year 3 is when the coach's stamp is really beginning to be on the program.

As I was following the chatter, one of the things that kept coming up is that Anderson was frustrated with the B1G recruiting footprint.

I'm starting to believe that there's more and more to the Alvarez being overbearing. It's his football program, no matter who the coach is. And you look at what he's doing by coaching the bowl game: neither coordinator gets the experience of being CEO and handling media obligations for his career development & resume. Beyond that, there's the money. Coaching a bowl game is over a $100k bonus. When Alvarez coached Wisconsin's 2013 bowl instead of letting a coordinator be an interim, Alvarez paid that $100k+ from the HC's contract to himself. (There was an article on footballscoop about this.)

Conspiracy theorists suggest that Alverez told him to blow the game. I big blow out by tOSU got them into the playoffs. A loss or close win and the B1G would have been sitting on the sideline.

Edit - I could also be wrong about LDS. I figured that born in Utah and going to Ricks was a good chance.

Last edited:
Conspiracy theorists suggest that Alverez told him to blow the game. I big blow out by tOSU got them into the playoffs. A loss or close win and the B1G would have been sitting on the sideline.

Edit - I could also be wrong about LDS. I figured that born in Utah and going to Ricks was a good chance.
If that is the case, he blew it like a hooker

Back