What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU @ CU

Elijah Dunston, CU RS-FR tore his ACL and MCL in practice. Out for the rest of the year. Dressed in every game this year but did not play. Well wishes for the kid.

How do they get students to show up for football games early in the season of they aren't back from summer break?

A ton of the students are instate so they just drive in for the games. With year long leases most still have a place to stay so it's an excuse to party in cornvegas for the weekend. For the crappy ooc games they don't get a ton of students however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh oh, the wood munchers have found allbuffs. Lets see if they make the effort to come by and talk a bit

http://www.pure-orange.net/bscpigskin2/

Warning 1: the site is awful. think of the old ramnation/netbuffs format but it won't fully load on internet explorer.

Warning 2: You have to apply for a profile. The admins then get to decide if you get to have one.
They are too scared to admit me if I apply.

Anyways, depth chart news. http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/gameday/2014/depth_chart.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

JayMac is now behind Donovan lee at WR because of the Dunston injury. Any more injuries there and he may lose the RS. There is no one between him and the rotation.

Despite hte fact that Severson was not on the KR team as the second returner last week (Lee was), he's still listed there on the depth chart.

On D, Gilbert replaces Shaver as the starter.

Last edited:

Anyways, depth chart news. http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/gameday/2014/depth_chart.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

JayMac is now behind Donovan lee at WR because of the Dunston injury. Any more injuries there and he may lose the RS. There is no one between him and the rotation.

Despite hte fact that Severson was not on the KR team as the second returner last week (Lee was), he's still listed there on the depth chart.

Linked it to XT's biography :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Link is still messed up.

6 seniors start, and at most we might miss 3 of them (Henderson and the 2 OL's). That's crazy.

Comments section is an interesting slice of outsider opinion per the Oregonian article.

One guy says we suck!

Next guy says we are getting better every week.

Third guys says we are the biggest marshmallow he as seen since starting to watch Pac in 1968.

I like the second guys opinion personally.

Link is still messed up.

6 seniors start, and at most we might miss 3 of them (Henderson and the 2 OL's). That's crazy.
ugh. stupid allbuffs kept the hyperlink when I pasted over it. Had to delete it then repaste.

I keep seeing comments from OSU fans who think there is no way we could possibly win this or that it would be a monumental upset because we lost to CSU (usually also under the misunderstanding that it was a home game). Its an interesting take considering they just got stomped by a USC team that lost to BC...a team who also just lost to CSU (actually at home).

8401894471_e9067c8485_b.jpg

OSU v CU

So I’ve been following OSU football for many, many years. I grew up in Corvallis and used to have OSU season tickets. I was at the game when they broke the 28 year losing season streak. Here are my thoughts on OSU and the game.

There aren’t many good message boards for OSU. My eyes will start bleeding if I look at Pure-Orange. The site is awful. The site that I look at the most isn’t so much a message board, but more a of blog. Its angrybeavs.com. By virtue of the site (critical view of OSU), they’re all pretty cynical, but also usually well informed and intelligent.

My thoughts on OSU:
- They’re having an interesting season. Most people see Mike Riley as one of the good ole guys of the Pac-12 and for the most part that is correct. He’s a classy guy with a lot of integrity, does things the right way, and runs a good team. However, I think he gets a little too much credit, and has a lot of faults. Examples: slow to make changes or adapt, AWFUL at clock management, stubborn to admit his team’s identity isn’t what he envisioned. He runs a team that will usually get 6-8 wins, with the occasional 9 win and 4-5 win seasons. He won’t take OSU over the top, and I’d be shocked to see them win the Pac-12 with him at the helm. They have bad losses every year (see Eastern Washington, Sacramento State of years past), and usually beat someone they shouldn’t.
- Mike Riley teams lack killer instinct. If CU jumps on them early, the Buffs can definitely win.
- Sean Mannion looks good on paper. Prototypical pro-style pocket passer. Big arm. Puts up BIG numbers against mediocre or worse defenses. It appears he really misses his superstar WR Brandin Cooks this year. Seriously, Cooks was all-world, and it wasn’t surprising he won the biletnikoff. Anyway, Mannion does NOT do well against good aggressive defenses. He crumbles in close games and has been known to throw costly INTs. He has almost zero clutch wins (please try and find one). If CU keeps this game close, don’t expect him to engineer a game winning drive.
- Despite what the stats show, the OSU running game is pretty decent, and should be the foundation of the OSU team. BUT…as we’ve seen so far this season, don’t expect OSU to run it as much as they should (even if they find early success). Riley wants this team to have a passing mentality/identity, and I think this hurts OSU. Will playing at altitude shift Riley’s emphasis on the running game? Perhaps, but don’t count on it. But, if they do run the ball a lot, they will likely have success. Storm Woods is a good all-purpose back that can be lethal out of the backfield as a receiver. Terron Ward is quick, deceptively powerful, very shifty, and can make people miss. They will likely see equal snaps if both healthy.
- OSU receivers are mediocre with the exception of Vitcor Bolden who is very good (but injured w/ finger dislocation). If Bolden plays, he can be a game changer at receiver and on special teams. Also, they have a few big, above-average tight ends that can both block and make clutch plays over the middle.
- OSU’s D is their strength… they got banged up in the USC game, so it’ll be interesting to see who plays and at what capacity. Regardless, this D is fast. They have one of the better corners in the country in Steven Nelson. He can match up with any WR. Expect him on Spruce if possible. The other corners are just OK. LBs are good and fast. DJ Alexander is the emotional leader and he flies around. DL is dealing with injuries and was average to begin with. OSU historically has trouble against mobile QBs, and the spread. I expect them to contain CU at first, and possibly the whole game. But, if CU can string together some long and successful drives and get the D gassed, that is where the success will come for CU.
- Special teams: Decent. Trevor Romaine is OK, not great at PK. Punting average. Punt/Kick coverage is solid.
- Expect some dumb mistakes from OSU coaching. Be it head-scratching clock management or something like the bone-headed hail-mary defense against USC. These coaches do it at least once a game and it has been frustrating me for years.
- Penalties: lots of dumb penalties on OSU this year. Not sure why, as this isn’t usually the case.

Prediction:
- Macintyre has this team believing. OSU has underwhelmed in their wins this year (except San Diego State). If CU comes out fired up, knocks them in the mouth, flusters Mannion early, and another receiver can step up if Spruce gets shut down by Nelson (Shay Fields…?), then CU wins (my guess 24-13).
- If, on the other hand, OSU’s speed is enough to blanket Spruce/Fields and CU can’t get a running game going, I could see OSU taking this one somewhat comfortably. Especially if they actually commit to the run.
- Most likely scenario of those two? Obviously the first :)

I will also say this. I'll be wearing black and gold on Saturday!

I keep seeing comments from OSU fans who think there is no way we could possibly win this or that it would be a monumental upset because we lost to CSU (usually also under the misunderstanding that it was a home game). Its an interesting take considering they just got stomped by a USC team that lost to BC...a team who also just lost to CSU (actually at home).

This is not an upset. Oregon State is at best the eighth best team in the Pac 12-the espn conference blog's rankings had them dead last (yes, even below us) for this week. This would be, however, a watershed win. Last year's game should have been closer than it was-I thought the back to back bye weeks really hurt. From what I've seen of this OSU team, they remind me of that Arizona team who we punked in 2011........Theres a ton of talent there, but they're flawed. Mannion will get drafted, I like their backs, and their receivers are solid, but not special. We can move the ball on their defense-Hawaii put up more points against them in 4th quarter than they did in the entire game here. I don't think much of Mike Riley-he seems to do just enough for them to keep him around year after year. I think we're going to have to run the ball better than we did last week, and I think we're still overreliant on Nelson Spruce-even though his numbers continue to be ridiculous. Comes down to consistency.

I will believe a corner can shut down spruce when I see it. Hope osu goes into the game thinking they dont have to double cover him

I will believe a corner can shut down spruce when I see it. Hope osu goes into the game thinking they dont have to double cover him

I hope they cloud him. It will burn the beavers. We have weapons at wide-out. Maybe not Biletnikoff worthy weapons, but they are there. If they cloud Spruce they are going to leave themselves open to middle of the field, intermediate routes all day. Sefo will pick them apart.

hope we don't let their RBs take over the game, concerning considering our less than stellar LB play so far...

I hope they cloud him. It will burn the beavers. We have weapons at wide-out. Maybe not Biletnikoff worthy weapons, but they are there. If they cloud Spruce they are going to leave themselves open to middle of the field, intermediate routes all day. Sefo will pick them apart.

One of the most encouraging post in a while for me. I agree, but it is nice to hear someone else say it. We have a real live QB in the making.... It has been quite a while.... Nice!

Bolden returned as a full participant to practice today. Reilly says it is 50/50 if he will play. They want to make sure he is healthy for the stretch run and doesn't wants to see how he feels tomorrow.

Bolden is playing. Defense is going to need to be on their A game because he can fly. Luckily up here at altitude he won't be too much of a threat on KO returns.

Defense needs to put pressure on Mannion saturday. His confidence has to be a little shaken after his terrible performance last week, and the D needs to make sure it doesn't return.

BeavBuff47, thanks! That analysis was helpful to me, a guy who doesn't get into the nitty gritty like a lot of us on this board. Appreciate it. Oh, and I thought we had it bad, but we've never had a 28 year losing streak!! :wink2:

Back