What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OT: CSU funding / attendance / stadium question

Another kick to CSU's teeth:

Big 12 is allegedly going with Cincinnati and BYU to get to 12 teams.

Frank the Tank had a pretty good analysis on what programs would make the most sense for the Big 12 (props to SD Buff for finding it and posting on Rivals). He used a weighted matrix for his evaluation like he had previously done with for the B1G.

Results:

Cincinnati - 90 points
BYU - 75
SDSU - 67
UCF - 65
USF - 63
Tulane - 58
UConn - 57
Temple - 53
Boise State - 52
Memphis - 49
Houston - 48
New Mexico - 45
SMU - 43
CSU - 43
UNLV - 37
Rice - 35

This analysis would change depending on the conference, as geographic fit & media market expansion is taken into account. For example, Houston and SMU would likely be more valuable to the Pac-12 than to the Big 12. SDSU and CSU would likely be more valuable to the Big 12 than the Pac-12.

http://frankthetank.me/2013/10/30/the-big-12-expansion-index-wake-me-up-when-its-all-over/

I just hope that CSU's spending doesn't cause my taxes to go up.

1. Puts pressure on CU to get its act together.
2. If they start hemorrhaging money it's going to hurt us (see some of the posts above).
3. We need CFB to become relevant in this state again. That can be accomplished solely with a good CU, but would be better if it includes Wyoming, Air Force and CSU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. I can agree somewhat on this, but if CSU ****s it up it could hurt us. I'd rather them not do anything until we get started.

2. See #1

3. Why do we need AF, Wyoming, and CSU to be relevant? What benefit does it provide to us by having in-state teams and Wyoming relevant who are non-AQ teams and irrelevant nationwide? CU being relevant is what Colorado needs if anything. None of those three are going to be BCS teams ever. CU being relevant allows us to close the borders in Colorado and be the premier school for Colorado high school students.

Frank the Tank had a pretty good analysis on what programs would make the most sense for the Big 12 (props to SD Buff for finding it and posting on Rivals). He used a weighted matrix for his evaluation like he had previously done with for the B1G.

Results:

Cincinnati - 90 points
BYU - 75
SDSU - 67
UCF - 65
USF - 63
Tulane - 58
UConn - 57
Temple - 53
Boise State - 52
Memphis - 49
Houston - 48
New Mexico - 45
SMU - 43
CSU - 43
UNLV - 37
Rice - 35

This analysis would change depending on the conference, as geographic fit & media market expansion is taken into account. For example, Houston and SMU would likely be more valuable to the Pac-12 than to the Big 12. SDSU and CSU would likely be more valuable to the Big 12 than the Pac-12.

http://frankthetank.me/2013/10/30/the-big-12-expansion-index-wake-me-up-when-its-all-over/

Quick someone send the link to Gasm's twitter

Results:

Cincinnati - 90 points
BYU - 75
SDSU - 67
UCF - 65
USF - 63
Tulane - 58
UConn - 57
Temple - 53
Boise State - 52
Memphis - 49
Houston - 48
New Mexico - 45
SMU - 43
CSU - 43
UNLV - 37
Rice - 35

When Texas, Oklahoma state, and Oklahoma join the PAC-15 there will be room for CSU then.

There cannot be any concerts or other events hosted at Hughes Stadium due to the neighborhood so that limits the revenue that CSU can raise. Now if they move it to on campus, they can have those events. This will put pressure on CU to upgrade Folsom Field's seating area if CSU puts in seats instead of bleachers which could steal away all that revenue. So basically, if CSU builds the stadium, it will put pressure on CU to do something about Folsom Field and it doesn't have to be just about football.

If you think CSU is basically getting all those numbers out of thin air, the reality is that isn't the case. All CSU has to do is look at CU's fincincal statements related to Folsom Field and make some realistic expectations when it comes to comparing Ft. Collins to Boulder, Larmier County to Boulder County, etc.

CSU building a stadium IS a big deal for CU. If the Big 12 is to expand, CSU and New Mexico are the most obvious targets out of the MWC and the same applies to the Pac-12 due to their endowment & research numbers. Just look at the MWC wikipedia page and you will see what I'm talking about. The Pac-8 did gamble on the state of Arizona exploding in population when they took in two WAC schools back in 1978. The Big 12 might realize that it would be better to roll the bones this time around. They don't have to satisfy West Virigina in this case. We don't know if that will happen.

The question is will CU finally get off its rear and do something about Folsom Field if CSU joins the Big 12? The question to ask is what actually triggered CSU to go ahead and try to build the stadium? Simply having concerts and stuff like that wouldn't be enough...there has to be a stronger reason for triggering that attempt to build the stadium. Perhaps a conditional conference invitation from either the Big 12 or the Pac-12 or even both? If you think the Big 12 simply had no problems with losing a market the size of Colorado, I think you need your head checked. New Mexico's population will continue to grow and that is why a CSU-UNM duo could be attractive to the Big 12. From what I have read in many places, UNM and its fans appear to prefer the Big 12 over the Pac-12 at this point.

CSU potentially joining the Big 12 should not be taken lightly at all by anyone associated with CU. Be honest with yourselves, the average Coloradoan would prefer to support CSU since it is the school that most Coloradoans would go to instead of CU when at least half of the students are from California. And maybe some Big 12 schools would love to extract revenge on CU for nearly pulling the Big 12 apart in 2010.

CU fans from California will have no problems sticking with CU but what about the CU fans from Colorado?

Be honest with yourselves, the average Coloradoan would prefer to support CSU since it is the school that most Coloradoans would go to instead of CU when at least half of the students are from California.

What? It's state law that more that half of our enrollment must be Colorado residents.

There cannot be any concerts or other events hosted at Hughes Stadium due to the neighborhood so that limits the revenue that CSU can raise. Now if they move it to on campus, they can have those events. This will put pressure on CU to upgrade Folsom Field's seating area if CSU puts in seats instead of bleachers which could steal away all that revenue. So basically, if CSU builds the stadium, it will put pressure on CU to do something about Folsom Field and it doesn't have to be just about football.

If you think CSU is basically getting all those numbers out of thin air, the reality is that isn't the case. All CSU has to do is look at CU's fincincal statements related to Folsom Field and make some realistic expectations when it comes to comparing Ft. Collins to Boulder, Larmier County to Boulder County, etc.

CSU building a stadium IS a big deal for CU. If the Big 12 is to expand, CSU and New Mexico are the most obvious targets out of the MWC and the same applies to the Pac-12 due to their endowment & research numbers. Just look at the MWC wikipedia page and you will see what I'm talking about. The Pac-8 did gamble on the state of Arizona exploding in population when they took in two WAC schools back in 1978. The Big 12 might realize that it would be better to roll the bones this time around. They don't have to satisfy West Virigina in this case. We don't know if that will happen.

The question is will CU finally get off its rear and do something about Folsom Field if CSU joins the Big 12? The question to ask is what actually triggered CSU to go ahead and try to build the stadium? Simply having concerts and stuff like that wouldn't be enough...there has to be a stronger reason for triggering that attempt to build the stadium. Perhaps a conditional conference invitation from either the Big 12 or the Pac-12 or even both? If you think the Big 12 simply had no problems with losing a market the size of Colorado, I think you need your head checked. New Mexico's population will continue to grow and that is why a CSU-UNM duo could be attractive to the Big 12. From what I have read in many places, UNM and its fans appear to prefer the Big 12 over the Pac-12 at this point.

CSU potentially joining the Big 12 should not be taken lightly at all by anyone associated with CU. Be honest with yourselves, the average Coloradoan would prefer to support CSU since it is the school that most Coloradoans would go to instead of CU when at least half of the students are from California. And maybe some Big 12 schools would love to extract revenge on CU for nearly pulling the Big 12 apart in 2010.

CU fans from California will have no problems sticking with CU but what about the CU fans from Colorado?

To the bold - Big 12 looked at the MWC and didn't like the options. Cincy recruits have been told they'll be playing in the Big 12 within 2 years. Internet whispers have BYU as the other program being added.

Please believe me when I tell you - no one in the Big 12 misses Colorado. No one in the Big 12 wants Colorado State.

Well thought out and well stated argument NashRam. Completely wrong in your conclusions, but well stated nonetheless.

ESPN is now invested in BYU and their success.

To the bold - Big 12 looked at the MWC and didn't like the options. Cincy recruits have been told they'll be playing in the Big 12 within 2 years. Internet whispers have BYU as the other program being added.

BYU will be at the front of the line.

UNM - the state of New Mexico has a population roughly equal to the springs. The UNM stadium facilities make Cherry Creeks facilities look like the new mile high. I just don't see UNM on the radar of significant programs. AFA makes more sense with their international appeal to airmen and retired airmen.

Fort Fun makes more sense than either UNM or AFA in my mind. Their enrollment projections are for huge growth.

I would not put my money on CSU, UNM or AFA in any expansion plans.

Please believe me when I tell you - no one in the Big 12 misses Colorado. No one in the Big 12 wants Colorado State.

Not really true...have heard almost all the Big 8 schools say they miss us and Nebraska, haven't heard much about Mizzou. Small sample size I know but having the old Big 12 would be preferable from a straight team perspective, not including money. Replacing the four that left with TCU, WVU, Cincy, and BYU is pretty damn meh.

Not really true...have heard almost all the Big 8 schools say they miss us and Nebraska, haven't heard much about Mizzou. Small sample size I know but having the old Big 12 would be preferable from a straight team perspective, not including money. Replacing the four that left with TCU, WVU, Cincy, and BYU is pretty damn meh.

No doubt the Big 12 conference is a pud league now. And it should be given the teams that left. The conference, as a whole, is a joke. Adding another pud school (CSU) would only make the conference a bigger joke. Texas, Oklahoma, etc. would rather stay at 10 teams (plus, they like the money that comes with 10 teams) than bring in a terrible athletic program that just makes the conference look more pathetic than it already is. None of that means that the Big 12 members are wishing Colorado was back in the league.

Are you saying that if CSU puts seats instead of bleachers in their stadium, fans who have been attending CU games at Folsom are suddenly going to start watching CSU games in Fort Collins? Simply because they'll have a seat instead of a spot on a bleacher bench? Because I'm really pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

Totally awesome to hear that the Lady Gaga plan of stadium funding is still fully in place, though.... :woot:

That is all assuming that it stays at 5 conferences. There are four playoff spots so what if the big 12 dissolves, then they pac-12 definitely will not be considering taking CSU.

That is all assuming that it stays at 5 conferences. There are four playoff spots so what if the big 12 dissolves, then they pac-12 definitely will not be considering taking CSU.

All conferences going to 16 could get messy.

The SEC really prefers poaching the ACC to whatever else is out there (other than UT, OU and OSU).
The ACC would like to keep its academic reputation and does not want to be pushed to the WVUs and Cincys of the world.
The B1G sees much more potential looking East instead of West and would consider poaching ACC.
The Pac-12 has very limited options that make financial sense.

Someone is going to make the first move and then everyone else will be reacting.

All conferences going to 16 could get messy.

The SEC really prefers poaching the ACC to whatever else is out there (other than UT, OU and OSU).
The ACC would like to keep its academic reputation and does not want to be pushed to the WVUs and Cincys of the world.
The B1G sees much more potential looking East instead of West and would consider poaching ACC.
The Pac-12 has very limited options that make financial sense.

Someone is going to make the first move and then everyone else will be reacting.

Don't necessarily think that's the case. A conference may go to 16, but I don't think that will generate a chain reaction.

Don't necessarily think that's the case. A conference may go to 16, but I don't think that will generate a chain reaction.

Depends on who they poach. Could you imagine if the SEC took Florida State and Clemson from the ACC? Or if the B1G stole UVA and UNC from the ACC? Major dominoes. If we're talking UConn getting snatched up or Notre Dame finally joining a conference (or the Pac-12 settling for a true regional conference with SDSU, UNLV, Boise State and New Mexico), then it's not going to cause much of a chain reaction.

Depends on who they poach. Could you imagine if the SEC took Florida State and Clemson from the ACC? Or if the B1G stole UVA and UNC from the ACC? Major dominoes. If we're talking UConn getting snatched up or Notre Dame finally joining a conference (or the Pac-12 settling for a true regional conference with SDSU, UNLV, Boise State and New Mexico), then it's not going to cause much of a chain reaction.

In the end, money is the biggest driver. Like you mentioned, there may be some more big moves that are financially driven. The second big motivation for expansion would be to keep your conference strong enough to ensure the conference winner gets one of the 4 playoff spots. Outside of those big moves , picking up crappy AAC or MW teams doesn't do anything for the perceived strength of your conference.

I don't see the ACC, B1G, or Pac12 scrambling to pick over leftovers to get to 16. It dilutes their academic prestige, it dilutes their football strength of schedule, it increases the Olympic travel costs, and most importantly it dilutes their pay day.

Yes but if they narrow down to four mega conferences then those conferences could take all the playoff money which is a ton of motivation.

Texass just got their new AD today. Was an ASU AD - worked in Portland but then in Texass as well as an alumn of Texass.
Wonder if his time at Arizona St has peaked interest in the Pac12 or if he will be happy in the Big 12 (10) ?

Boy, this is so far from reality. Finding a conclusion based in reality is like searching for needle in a haystack.

Boy, this is so far from reality. Finding a conclusion based in reality is like searching for needle in a haystack.

^^ Unbelievable amount of restraint shown in this post. ^^

Ft Collins = Boulder, CSU = CU in fan interest just based on building an on campus stadium. :rofl:

CSU can't do concerts in Hughes out on the edge of town but the locals aren't going to have a problem with concerts in the middle of town at an on-campus (edge of campus) stadium bringing traffic and parking issues as well as noise and foottraffic to neighborhoods that didn't have that in the past.:wow:
:rofl:

CSU comparable to AU-ASU as expansion partners for a conference. Ignoring that fact that the Zona schools averaged well of 50k per home game, CSU has trouble getting 20k :wtf:

CSU is a non-factor in the Colorado market. TV ratings and attendance figures prove that. The Big XII isn't going that direction now or in the future.

A little worse spelling and grammar and Nash's post could pass on the delusion scale for a Gasm post.

Do you think before you post? Serious question.

[video=youtube;5hfYJsQAhl0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0[/video]

Back