What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

our defensive line...

buffaholic

Club Member
Club Member
just went thru some game tapes and tried to isolate our defensive troubles. Other than poor tackling in space and our DB's making an average of one major mental mistake per drive, one other thing showed up.

Our DL is losing the battle at the point of attack.

Consistently. I've decided this is the number one area of crap on our defense. If you lose that battle, your LBs can't make plays, your DBs are having to support against the run, and we are toast. It's bad enough that the spread teams out speed us badly. But if they are getting all their blocks up front, the space then makes the back 7 look like crap.

At DT, here is how our snaps have gone so far:

Tupou 240
Bonsu 293
Solis 113
Hennington 101
Kafovalu 111

858 snaps
565 snaps by true freshmen. 67%
Currently, much higher percentage being taken (last few games)

Note that Kafovalu recently took the starting job inside, moving from the outside a few games ago. It's now two TRUE frosh up front in the starting roles...

Has any team ever started two true freshmen up front?

You'd expect this number to be 0. Your 5th class should not be playing the one position on the field that demands a Physical Specimen more than any other.

Next year's DC will enjoy a much improved situation. You got 4 True freshmen competing going forward who should all get much stronger and much more familiar with good technique.

Cabral didn't forget how to coach LB's. But when the front 4 are losing the point of attack, his guys look ridiculous.

This will be the #1 area to fix and will see the most improvement. Should see huge improvement and be a solid core for 3 more years.

just went thru some game tapes and tried to isolate our defensive troubles. Other than poor tackling in space and our DB's making an average of one major mental mistake per drive, one other thing showed up.

Our DL is losing the battle at the point of attack.

Consistently. I've decided this is the number one area of crap on our defense. If you lose that battle, your LBs can't make plays, your DBs are having to support against the run, and we are toast. It's bad enough that the spread teams out speed us badly. But if they are getting all their blocks up front, the space then makes the back 7 look like crap.

At DT, here is how our snaps have gone so far:

Tupou 240
Bonsu 293
Solis 113
Hennington 101
Kafovalu 111

858 snaps
565 snaps by true freshmen. 67%
Currently, much higher percentage being taken (last few games)

Note that Kafovalu recently took the starting job inside, moving from the outside a few games ago. It's now two TRUE frosh up front in the starting roles...

Has any team ever started two true freshmen up front?

You'd expect this number to be 0. Your 5th class should not be playing the one position on the field that demands a Physical Specimen more than any other.

Next year's DC will enjoy a much improved situation. You got 4 True freshmen competing going forward who should all get much stronger and much more familiar with good technique.

Cabral didn't forget how to coach LB's. But when the front 4 are losing the point of attack, his guys look ridiculous.

This will be the #1 area to fix and will see the most improvement. Should see huge improvement and be a solid core for 3 more years.

I have not gone back to watch much tape (too painful).... but watching games live I have to say I thought DL was one of the few bright spots (well bright is all relative). But a lot of games they are only bringing pressure with 3 guys.... and as you pointed out many are true frosh players. And they are getting some mild pressure too. They are not getting to QB a ton but they are getting pressure at least. I wish I could see a 4 man front and see what pressure they could bring. But since the DC is dead set on protecting his young secondary he is not likely gonna pull an athletic LB to put in another DL. But good post Ill have to watch more closely today at DL and see what I think.

Great assessment. Spot on. When you look at some of these ranked teams we play, their DL's are strong, hold their balance, and stay in the play. Our guys seem to get blasted sideways, out of position to see the play let alone get a hit.

The Buffs will return when we have men on the inside. That's a ways away. (Although the OL has been the most improved unit on either side of the ball, in my opinion.)

Our LBs either struggle in coverage or struggle getting off blocks. All of them have holes in their games. Not saying we don't have DL issues, but LBs have not distinguished themselves.

Our LBs either struggle in coverage or struggle getting off blocks. All of them have holes in their games. Not saying we don't have DL issues, but LBs have not distinguished themselves.

They need to be taught to turn around and look for a pass.

We were much better on defense when Pericak was at DT and Poston was at DE. We moved Pericak outside and began the frosh movement against Sac St. It's been downhill ever since.

DL seemed decent for a bit this game. LBs are non-existent. They're all clueless in pass coverage.

DB's play= awful

LB'S play = awful

DL play= not good

DC = ATROCIOUS

I think we are no good on defense.

Back