1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our ever-evolving WR depth chart

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, May 21, 2011.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

It is a bit weird how we got here, bBut we seem to catch breaks and get solid players at all different times of the year. Getting Logan Gray into school and also landing Austin Vincent late in the process makes the 2011 WR outlook not so bad. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out, but who do you think steps up and becomes an impact 3rd receiver?

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

That's the great part about college football. Someone unexpected will step up and make all us "experts" here on the internet look like idots. :lol:

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Keenan Canty will take a big step forward this year. I'm thinking it will be him, Gray and Cefalo in the beginning of the season. But, much like last year with Richardson, there's that hope that a true freshman can have things click and go on a tear in the 2nd half. If Vincent and/or Spruce can make a significant impact as the season goes along it will go a long way toward this team finishing strong. My money is on Spruce since he's more polished and put up the gaudy high school numbers. I think Vincent may have more upside, though.

4. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Still hoping that Darden can step up, but most likely I think Logan Gray is our #3 guy for 2011.

Unless Espinoza, Cefalo, or Ebner has an impressive enough lunchpail for Embree too.

5. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

I'm wondering how large the offensive playbook is going to be. Will it be too much for some to digest before fall?

6. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

Is McCulloch likely to end up at TE?

7. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I'm definitely feeling better about WR this fall between Spruce, Gray, and Vincent, we're bound to find a couple of contributors. Doesn't sound like we should expect much out of Darden. Canty has the makings of a decent slot receiver, but I don't think he's the guy to step in to replace Richardson or Clemens should the go down to injury.

How many WRs are we looking at taking this class? I was thinking 4, but with the addition of Vincent I could see us cutting it off at 3 now.

8. Buffnik

I see him as a finesse TE because I didn't see separation speed against suspect competition in New Mexico. Everything else, he does well. Good hands. Good body control. Fights for the ball. Finds openings in the defense. Willing blocker.

But this is definitely a case when we'll be in the dark on his potential (and potential position) until he gets on campus and starts competing. Much more so than usual with a freshman.

9. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I think it'll be Gray, as he's the more mature guy with just the one year left to play, he's going to give it his all.

10. bigbang

bigbang Member

We still have depth issues,

Vincent is a freshman lacks experience, in his video you can tell that he is not as polished as PRichardson last year, he will need at least 1 or 2 years of development.

Spruce already getting into trouble
    Mcclough looks like a TE
    Canty is too small, not polished enough as a reciever.
    Cefalo- good pocession reciever, but not a game changer.

Right now there are three WR that i am comfortable with. If we get an injury we are in serious trouble.

Clemons
    Richardson
    Gray

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  11. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i think we have a pretty good unit with Clemons and Richardson. hopefully, with this staff we have more deep or at least make the LB's play uncertain routes than the post. Clemons size, PRich speed.

looking forward, this is one of those positions under Hawk where we go from an embarrassment of talent to thin....somehow. RB and LB, same.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  12. Buffnik

The biggest killer for us at WR over the past few years was losing Jeff Grimes to Auburn and, therefore, losing Emory Blake in recruiting.

He was a game changer.

That also destroyed our recruiting in Texas the last couple years under Hawkins.

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Still thinking we take four. It seems from the offers already out, the coaches want to find at least one big body as well as a true slot receiver. Beyond that, we need to upgrade overall speed and athleticism. Getting Vincent does give us some cushion here, but I really think this is the year for us to load up at several positions.

14. bigbang

bigbang Member

If we can land atleast two bluechippers in 2012 i will be happy

Javon Williams, Treggs, Connor Crane, Powe, Peyton Williams, Diggs are high on my list.

15. White_Rabbit

I didn't realize we put Espy on scholarship.. looks like we're losing 3 this year (Clemons, Espy, Gray) so yeah 4 sounds good.

16. bigbang

bigbang Member

2012 our depth will look like

P Richardson, Canty, Spruce, Darden, Austin Vincent, Mccolough

We may need 4-5 WR in 2012, and get maybe one or two to enroll early.

17. White_Rabbit

I bet at least one of Darden or McCullough moves to TE too. We need some WRs pretty badly this cycle.