What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Our offense just got a lot better.

Why are people down on the OL?

We're losing Nembot who matured as a senior, but who most of this board thought was mediocre at best last year at this time.

I don't expect they'll be great, but they seem to have a lot of raw talent. Kelley is a solid vet at center and they have Lynott, Irwin, Kronshage, Kough, Huckins, Lisella, Middlemiss, Miller, Wiefels... It seems like they have a lot of raw, but talented kids who could gel. I could be wrong, a lot depends on Irwin and that's not a position you probably want to be in... but we thought they were a big weakness last year and they were pretty decent despite all the injuries.

1. Because the line was terrible last year.
2. Because the line lost one of its better performers.
3. Because the OL recruiting has been mediocre at best.
4. Because the OL coaching has been bad.
5. I think "Raw, but talented" is a bit generous.
6. Even taking everything you said and giving it full credit, you get a whole lot of potential and almost no proven talent.
7. Proven talent > Potential.

diamond+zeer.JPG
If only we had Cam Newton at QB, this might be a viable offense!

6. Even taking everything you said and giving it full credit, you get a whole lot of potential and almost no proven talent.
I agree with every single point you make here. However, I also believe that the OL recruiting has been what the coaches wanted it to be. They're looking for guys they can develop. This is the first year where any of those developmental guys should be showing what he can do. We have a lot of bodies on OL that have been in the system for a long time by now. I totally share your concern regarding Bernardi, but if their plan works, this will be the year we start to see it paying off.

Pop in the Hawaii game tape and watch the oline. You will find your answer there. That was before the injuries hit and everyone was healthy.

Pop in the Hawaii game tape and watch the oline. You will find your answer there. That was before the injuries hit and everyone was healthy.
I understand and agree. I'm not defending last years OL, because it was dismal.
What I am saying is that all the reaches the coaches have been making need to pay off this year. Well, maybe not all the reaches, but enough of them. If you're going to take the approach that you are going to put raw guys in the pipeline and develop them, you better figure on at least four years of development before they start to turn things around. This is year four. There's no denying we have bodies at OL. We have 15 OL on the team for Spring practices. By now, at least ten of those guys should be ready to contribute at a high level.

I understand and agree. I'm not defending last years OL, because it was dismal.
What I am saying is that all the reaches the coaches have been making need to pay off this year. Well, maybe not all the reaches, but enough of them. If you're going to take the approach that you are going to put raw guys in the pipeline and develop them, you better figure on at least four years of development before they start to turn things around. This is year four. There's no denying we have bodies at OL. We have 15 OL on the team for Spring practices. By now, at least ten of those guys should be ready to contribute at a high level.
Sorry, was referencing what skinsfan was saying.

They chose not to augment what Embree had recruited for the 2013 class, and that has taken some criticism that seems warranted.

Either they were too nice or they didn't think they could do better than Sutton, Kronshage (JR), Huckins (JR) and Lisella (SO).

Bernardi's fingerprints are all over Kaiser, Miller, Haigler, Lynott, Middlemiss and the 3 2016 projects. I think they are really positive on these guys as a group though.

Early Depth Chart:
QB-Webb, Montez, Apsay
RB-Lindsay, Carr, Bisharat (I don't believe in Adkins)
WR-Fields, Ento
WR-Winfree, Bobo
Slot-Lee, Ross, MacIntyre

You left off 4b. the quality S&C work that allowed our guys NOT to be manhandled on virtually every play. Sefo wouldn't have been as ugly and probably wouldn't have gotten hurt too.

It also doesn't hurt that we'll be bullish on the Oline for probably four or so years and consistently had our hopes smashed into the turf like Sefo facing a blitz

I'd take Lindsay and Beau over the rest of the backs. Lindsay is a feature back and is also a leader in the locker room. His abilities are diminished when he's inserted for 2 plays at a time - rotated. In Mac's conference today, he stated Beau will step in immediately and make an impact. So RB by committee again or they are outright giving the job to Beau? I think this may be the pain point this year. One back with an alternate, anything more than that and you are not getting the optimal talent from your premier RB's.

I'd take Lindsay and Beau over the rest of the backs. Lindsay is a feature back and is also a leader in the locker room. His abilities are diminished when he's inserted for 2 plays at a time - rotated. In Mac's conference today, he stated Beau will step in immediately and make an impact. So RB by committee again or they are outright giving the job to Beau? I think this may be the pain point this year. One back with an alternate, anything more than that and you are not getting the optimal talent from your premier RB's.
Maybe they'll redshirt Bish and play him at the same time? Seemed to work with Montez.

This. The results on the OL during that game had little to do with lack of talent, experience, size or maturity, rather it was very nearly 100% due to ****ty coaching. If you don't fix the ****ty coaching, you're not fixing the biggest problem.

This. The results on the OL during that game had little to do with lack of talent, experience, size or maturity, rather it was very nearly 100% due to ****ty coaching. If you don't fix the ****ty coaching, you're not fixing the biggest problem.

What about ****ty injuries?

Starting left tackle Jeromy Irwin suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 2. Jonathan Huckins, a sophomore who has started eight games at right guard, has had two different injuries and is walking around campus on crutches this week [Nov 2015].

Sophomore left guard Gerrad Kough (nine starts) missed three games with injuries. Tackle Sam Kronshage missed a game with an injury.

All the injuries forced senior right tackle Stephane Nembot to move to left tackle, where he's not as strong, and forced the Buffs to rely on youngsters such as redshirt freshman John Lisella II.

CU has used eight different starting combinations up front. Junior center Alex Kelley is the only lineman to have started all season in the same spot.

http://www.dailycamera.com/top-sports/ci_29167433/cu-football-better-days-may-be-ahead-buffs

I wonder if the trainers are required to keep body bags in their kit.

While you guys are focusing on the Jimmies and Joes, I'm wondering how the addition of Chev as co OC will impact the offense. Certainly we will incorporate some of the Texas Tech philosophy. It'll be interesting to watch.

Starting left tackle Jeromy Irwin suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 2. Jonathan Huckins, a sophomore who has started eight games at right guard, has had two different injuries and is walking around campus on crutches this week [Nov 2015].

Sophomore left guard Gerrad Kough (nine starts) missed three games with injuries. Tackle Sam Kronshage missed a game with an injury.

All the injuries forced senior right tackle Stephane Nembot to move to left tackle, where he's not as strong, and forced the Buffs to rely on youngsters such as redshirt freshman John Lisella II.

CU has used eight different starting combinations up front. Junior center Alex Kelley is the only lineman to have started all season in the same spot.

http://www.dailycamera.com/top-sports/ci_29167433/cu-football-better-days-may-be-ahead-buffs

A comment from Solis in that article: "I'd say we're probably one of the smaller, weaker teams," Solis said in comparing the CU linemen to other teams. Ugh.

A comment from Solis in that article: "I'd say we're probably one of the smaller, weaker teams," Solis said in comparing the CU linemen to other teams. Ugh.

I saw that as well. And he cited Forman in the article who was also fired since it was written and replaced. We could all see how much the group got pushed around.

Adkins has the best overall package of any running back we have. If he's healthy, he's #1. Put me in the camp that doesn't think Bisharat plays running back in college. Not fast or quick enough IMO. Good, strong runner, but I think his future is best suited at LB or H-Back.

It still amazes me how they could not figure out simple stunts up the middle. The line looked completely confused on what was going on. I remember thinking to myself and wondering if Bernardi ever once worked on that in camp. Complete and utter failure. I think the injuries that started the next week gave him his scape goat he needed, but the writing was on the wall the first game of the season.

You guys are forgetting about Carr. If he could just get a small hole or crease, he can take it to the house. Last season he was getting tackled the same time he was getting the ball or trying to get the edge when the whole DL and our OL was in the backfield.

Too many times one missed block prevented a big play. RB rotation needs to tighten up, Powells gone but he didn't get many carries last year anyway. Adkins (if healthy) and Bisharat should get bulk with Carr and Lindsay being change of pace guys. Gordon backup/ST unless he beats someone else out.

Miami, the post I quoted was about the Hawaii game. I was referring to the Hawaii game.

Yes, injuries hurt last season, but the OL was 100% healthy for the Hawaii game. And they got boat raced by a bottom feeder mountain west team.

So, I completely stand by my comment: The results on the OL during that game had little to do with lack of talent, experience, size or maturity, rather it was very nearly 100% due to ****ty coaching. If you don't fix the ****ty coaching, you're not fixing the biggest problem.

The only excuse I can come up with for the Hawaii game was that we were still a year away from these guys being truly ready. I realize that's a damn flimsy excuse.

I'm willing to recognize there are degrees of success this year that don't include a bowl game. Those factors could, in my mind, allow MM to keep his job without a winning record. I'm not willing to concede anything on the OL, though. Bernardi is on borrowed time.

The only excuse I can come up with for the Hawaii game was that we were still a year away from these guys being truly ready. I realize that's a damn flimsy excuse.

I'm willing to recognize there are degrees of success this year that don't include a bowl game. Those factors could, in my mind, allow MM to keep his job without a winning record. I'm not willing to concede anything on the OL, though. Bernardi is on borrowed time.
First paragraph, fair thinking. Second paragraph, first two sentences. I disagree quite strongly.

First paragraph, fair thinking. Second paragraph, first two sentences. I disagree quite strongly.
That's fair. We've been in the rebuilding process for so long that our patience is gone. Just because I'm willing to recognize areas of success that don't include a bowl game doesn't mean you (or anybody else) should, too. In the end, it's RGs decision anyway.

Adkins has the best overall package of any running back we have. If he's healthy, he's #1. Put me in the camp that doesn't think Bisharat plays running back in college. Not fast or quick enough IMO. Good, strong runner, but I think his future is best suited at LB or H-Back.
ugh.. Phrasing! Not sure what film you watched but Bisharat seemed to run away from plenty of people. Plus I think the biggest help he will provide will be reduction of negative plays. He's always falling forward. I think we see far more 2nd and 5s and less 2nd and 11s. That changes an offense

Back