What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Our passing game

letsgoavs192

I support systemic racism
I know Sefo didn't have time.....but that was the most bizarre set of passing plays I've ever seen. Nothing hitting the WR in stride until the 4th down to Fields late. Everything was a comeback route for 4 yards. Didn't utilize the middle of the field or hit anyone on the run. I don't get it.

sefo doesn't know how to make reads.

Like I said last night, we need to run to set up the pass and every play DOESN'T have to be out of Shotgun.

I know Sefo didn't have time.....but that was the most bizarre set of passing plays I've ever seen. Nothing hitting the WR in stride until the 4th down to Fields late. Everything was a comeback route for 4 yards. Didn't utilize the middle of the field or hit anyone on the run. I don't get it.
I mentioned that to a friend who was watching with me. That our QB doesn't have time to throw, but all his completions are to WRs that are running back toward him. If he would throw it to them when they are actually moving toward the endzone we want to get to, it might have better results.

Like I said last night, we need to run to set up the pass and every play DOESN'T have to be out of Shotgun.
But I'm talking more about the actual routes and play design. Several replays where they zoomed out and showed the whole field all the WR's ran up, turned around and came back. Nobody running a post or slant.

I mentioned that to a friend who was watching with me. That our QB doesn't have time to throw, but all his completions are to WRs that are running back toward him. If he would throw it to them when they are actually moving toward the endzone we want to get to, it might have better results.
Right. Or at least one guy on the play instead of them all running comebacks. Too much work for 4 yards, I would rather just run it if that is all we are going to get out of it

dink and dunk passing...and agree other than hitting shay in stride everyone is running 5 yard hooks back to line of scrimmage...so much went wrong last nite that a 800 page novel could be written just on this game alone

Where was all this speed from Ross, lee etc? Where was bobo? Nobody getting open, and 5yd routes. Awful

If UH could figure out how to stymie Sefo, I can't wait for the conference games....

When the o-line blocks like that we need to be in shotgun. Sefo, wouldn't have had time to get back and set his feet.
I do understand what you are saying...

I wonder if Lee is on double secret probation from the Tupou incident and will be back next week. Don't think Awini played last night either even though he was named a starter on the last depth chart.

My quick thoughts:
  • Obviously the O line couldn't stop pressure. I think four of the past five years we've thought the Oline could finally be a strength where it remains a weakness. I don't know how I could fool myself about that again.
  • Sefo is afraid to sneak the ball into tight spaces or lead receivers.
  • He can only seem to look at his first read, then he looks lost. Has a hard time with decision making.
  • His runs came from the fact that he was so confused about where to go with the ball he had no choice but to run straightforward. The only way he got as many yards as he did was because Hawaii's D isn't very good.

Last edited:
^^^^This

There was a lot of penetration. A lot of staring down receivers. Adkins was a bright spot. Sefo looks like he needs more reps.

Lots of strange stuff in terms of the offensive calls.

Again they try to pound the middle with a back who doesn't weight 185 and send Powell on wide plays that he doesn't have the speed and quickness to run. Just like last year

Offense doesnt really have an identity, other than hurry up/pass a lot. The red flag for me was when both MacIntyre and Lindgren mentioned Boise State as a comparison. This definitely doesn't jive with Mac telling everyone we'd be running the pistol in his opening presser.

Boise State as a comparison is a concern because nobody but Chris Petersen has been able to run it successfully. He meshes a lot of formations/offenses and plays together to make something coherent.

When Lindgren does it it looks like he has several different playbooks he's pulling from that have nothing to do with each other. That's why's it's so inconsistent. One drive can look great, the next 3 horrible. One drive we're a spread option, the next we're double tight, the next 5 wide.

I think the stationary Wr's is a result of Lindgren trying to make things easy for Sefo. His throwing motion is labored and requires a lot of body movement to happen. Hard to time all that up with a wr running full speed thru a defense.

Plus, 4 deep outs or button hooks is a popular play these days. Makes it simple for the qb, the db's think go route till the wr breaks it off suddenly, and depending on the coverage, the guy that's supposed to be open can be easily determined before the snap. The problem with Sefo is he was waiting too long to throw--you can't wait till the route is already done to throw, the coverage has caught up by then. Not sure what's wrong with him, he did not look like a 3rd year starter. Maybe the book's out on him and this offense now and we're easier to defend.

Offense doesnt really have an identity, other than hurry up/pass a lot. The red flag for me was when both MacIntyre and Lindgren mentioned Boise State as a comparison. This definitely doesn't jive with Mac telling everyone we'd be running the pistol in his opening presser.

Boise State as a comparison is a concern because nobody but Chris Petersen has been able to run it successfully. He meshes a lot of formations/offenses and plays together to make something coherent.

When Lindgren does it it looks like he has several different playbooks he's pulling from that have nothing to do with each other. That's why's it's so inconsistent. One drive can look great, the next 3 horrible. One drive we're a spread option, the next we're double tight, the next 5 wide.

I think the stationary Wr's is a result of Lindgren trying to make things easy for Sefo. His throwing motion is labored and requires a lot of body movement to happen. Hard to time all that up with a wr running full speed thru a defense.

Plus, 4 deep outs or button hooks is a popular play these days. Makes it simple for the qb, the db's think go route till the wr breaks it off suddenly, and depending on the coverage, the guy that's supposed to be open can be easily determined before the snap. The problem with Sefo is he was waiting too long to throw--you can't wait till the route is already done to throw, the coverage has caught up by then. Not sure what's wrong with him, he did not look like a 3rd year starter. Maybe the book's out on him and this offense now and we're easier to defend.
Good post

The book is definitely out on Sefo. Can't hit the deep ball very well and does not throw well to one side of the field. I believe this also hampers our run game and o-line play as well.

I also think that the focus on not throwing INTs has also made him tentative. Once he threw that first pick, he really started to just make very safe throws or scramble.

Back