What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Our timing may have been very good.

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
We can think about what would have happened had JE and Co. been even competent enough to pull out the CSU game and Sac State game last year. With Dr. Phil in charge it is very possible that 3 wins may have been enough to save JE for another year delaying our disaster until this year when we would have been forced to replace the staff.

This year is going to be a hard year if you want to hire a coach. The competition for the best candidates is going to be ridiculous and the $$ are going to be worse. Barring a couple shocking turnarounds we are going to have more huge jobs open than I can remember.

We are going to be looking at having Texas, USC, and Nebraska open at the same time. Add to that the potential that schools like Minnesota may jump again. On top of that we always have some of the teams in major conferences who are unhappy being at the bottom of their conference and make coaching changes, schools like Iowa State who just lost to Iowa and are 0-2 right now.

This is shaping up to be a year where the besst potential candidates will already be out of play for a school like CU is right now and the competition for the second tier is going to be very expensive.

We may have finally hit a lucky break with hiring McIntyre when we did.

I agree and we got a real good one too. The only thing I'd say is that some of those big name programs may not all be looking at the same time b/c I get the sense a few of them, especially Nebraska and USC may not make it through the whole season w/o firing their HC.

Should be fun to watch the chaos from the sidelines knowing we have our guy and feeling optimistic about our future. Let's just hope that HCMM stays for at least 4 years before getting lured away to the SEC.

I agree that we may see dominos fall in the season but I think that those programs are going to want a big name so they will hire an interm then go after the big name in the off-season. There just aren't that many high profile coaches sitting out there unemployed at the moment. When they do make their hires they are likely to create other openings unless they hire somebody from the pros.

I also have a good feeling about M2 and am not sure he aspires to go someplace like the SEC. I think if we start to win enough that he would be appealing we will be able to provide him with enough here to keep him around.

The frustrating thing is that so few coaches were hired for the 2011 season at the BCS level (with WVU and Stanford being internal promotions) and there was such an opportunity for CU to do better.

Here is how they saw Embree's first season in the Bleacher Report review of the 2011 first year coaches:

Colorado: Jon Embree [D] Embree had not even been a coordinator before being hired as the head man at Colorado. He hasn’t been convincing thus far. Colorado struggled with injuries but still lost seven games by 20 or more points and was just 2-4 at home after going 5-2 last year. It’s hard to downgrade from Dan Hawkins, but they did.

Yep, and if Texas goes in a particular direction we could see the Florida job opening up. What if Sark impressed enough at UW this year to get a call from Pat Haden? The BCS conference teams stand to see a lot more vacancies too with potential lower tier teams like UCONN and Wake Forest likely to be looking plus the occasional lateral BCS move like Bielema and Tubs pulled last year. The Jones, Andersen, Doeren, Dykes, MacIntyre bunch was a strong group last year. Assuming all of those names would've taken jobs in the offseason had we not been looking last year I think we'd be having an even tougher time finding the right candidate for us had we needed to look this December. Tim DeRuyter may have still wanted the job, but after giving JE another year to dig us into a deeper hole and burn more bridges? Yikes. Very lucky to get the break we did, even if it meant having a historically poor season.

The frustrating thing is that so few coaches were hired for the 2011 season at the BCS level (with WVU and Stanford being internal promotions) and there was such an opportunity for CU to do better.

Here is how they saw Embree's first season in the Bleacher Report review of the 2011 first year coaches:

Colorado: Jon Embree [D] Embree had not even been a coordinator before being hired as the head man at Colorado. He hasn’t been convincing thus far. Colorado struggled with injuries but still lost seven games by 20 or more points and was just 2-4 at home after going 5-2 last year. It’s hard to downgrade from Dan Hawkins, but they did.

According to Dr. Phil he was highly qualified. He had connections to the glory days so he looked like a "name" hire and he was the cheapest option. To Phil nothing else mattered.

Beyond the discussion of coaches, the complete disaster that emerged leading up to Embree's dismissal, the botched news conference, the Jones cart gate mess, the dismal season, the financial results, being a laughing stock for D1 (and I believe pressure from Larry Scott) led to the administration putting their money where their mouth is and not just offering bigger $ to our coaching staff but going out and hiring a major player for the AD position.

My point is the disaster that was last year is what appears to have finally pushed CU admin to at least put some skin in the game of creating a competitive AD and football program (FYI, some of you know I liked Bohn, but in light of who we got (RG) I think we got a major upgrade).

My point is the disaster that was last year is what appears to have finally pushed CU admin to at least put some skin in the game of creating a competitive AD and football program (FYI, some of you know I liked Bohn, but in light of who we got (RG) I think we got a major upgrade).

no disrespect, but it is too early to tell. Lets see what Rick George accomplishes first.

An informed opinion should take on board a track record against the AD funding deficit, facilities upgrade, relationship with the coaches and school leadership, larry scott, and boosters.

boyd, you appear to be correct. Benson may have finally told Phil to pull his head out. I'm sure that some significant $$ people were putting pressure on not liking being associated with what was the laughingstock of college football.

Now the issue is going to be to maintain momentum. I don't think that can happen with Phil still in his job but I think he will be gone sooner than later. His replacement will say a lot about our future but it looks as if the decision has been made to move the program with or without him.

According to Dr. Phil he was highly qualified. He had connections to the glory days so he looked like a "name" hire and he was the cheapest option. To Phil nothing else mattered.

Don't forget the role/impact the B4L crowd had promoting one of their own, in this. Dr Phil could have just as easily gone for Cabral if they wanted " just the cheapest option." Cabral interviewed and wanted the HC job badly and really under-performed as the LB coach when he didn't get it.

At least Cabral was in touch with college FB, rather than that NFL mentality that WB&CO brought to the table. Cabral even qualified as an "under-represented minority", so Boulder's politically correct crowd and the Black Coachs Assoc. couldn't really complain!

Mandel at SI basically said that CU was broke and the hire showed it. Of course, the university didn't save anything by hiring the wrong guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...del/01/19/coaching-football-grades/index.html

Colorado (Jon Embree, Redskins tight end coach): D

Cash-strapped CU, rejected by the likes of Mike Bellotti, decided to reconnect with its past by bringing in former star and assistant Embree, overlooking the fact he's never been even a college offensive coordinator. Nor has his new offensive coordinator, former Buffs star Eric Bienemy. Another CU great, new defensive line coach Kanavis McGhee, most recently coached at Gannon (Pa.) University. Good luck with that.

Mandel at SI basically said that CU was broke and the hire showed it. Of course, the university didn't save anything by hiring the wrong guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...del/01/19/coaching-football-grades/index.html

Colorado (Jon Embree, Redskins tight end coach): D

Cash-strapped CU, rejected by the likes of Mike Bellotti, decided to reconnect with its past by bringing in former star and assistant Embree, overlooking the fact he's never been even a college offensive coordinator. Nor has his new offensive coordinator, former Buffs star Eric Bienemy. Another CU great, new defensive line coach Kanavis McGhee, most recently coached at Gannon (Pa.) University. Good luck with that.

McGhee was actually one of the most effective coaches of the bunch.

Individually that staff had a number of guys who were/are good coaches. Collectively they were in way over their heads and when the guys who are supposed to provide leadership don't have a clue what they are doing and go into a bunker mentality the group has no chance.

I agree and we got a real good one too. The only thing I'd say is that some of those big name programs may not all be looking at the same time b/c I get the sense a few of them, especially Nebraska and USC may not make it through the whole season w/o firing their HC.

Should be fun to watch the chaos from the sidelines knowing we have our guy and feeling optimistic about our future. Let's just hope that HCMM stays for at least 4 years before getting lured away to the SEC.

So we beat CSU and Central Arkansas and now HCMM is headed to coach in the SEC? :lol:

Not that it matters but Pelini will still win 9-10 games and save his job...they have a cakewalk B1G schedule.

I love what HCMM has done so far. But lets not get ahead of ourselves saying we found a gem. Lets get through some games against real quality opponents before we start raving about him. Fact is we beat an FCS school at home and CSU who will be lucky to pull out a 3 or 4 win season. Also I am not so sure Pelini will be gone. He is having a rough stretch with the comments about fans but they are Neb fans..... they will be all over his nuts again when he wins 9 games, which he will based on their schedule. I just have a tough time seeing them firing a coach after his decent success at NU.

Finally people also saying Texas is going to fire Brown. Is that even possible? They gave the dude an extension through like 2020 at 5.2 million a year (plus annual raises). Can they really afford a buyout of nearly 35-40 million PLUS buyout of their assistants at another 5-10 million? Then hire a top flight coach who will cost the same or even more? Maybe UT has that kinda cash but hard to imagine shelling out 60 million plus in a single year to change staffs.

I love what HCMM has done so far. But lets not get ahead of ourselves saying we found a gem. Lets get through some games against real quality opponents before we start raving about him. Fact is we beat an FCS school at home and CSU who will be lucky to pull out a 3 or 4 win season. Also I am not so sure Pelini will be gone. He is having a rough stretch with the comments about fans but they are Neb fans..... they will be all over his nuts again when he wins 9 games, which he will based on their schedule. I just have a tough time seeing them firing a coach after his decent success at NU.

Finally people also saying Texas is going to fire Brown. Is that even possible? They gave the dude an extension through like 2020 at 5.2 million a year (plus annual raises). Can they really afford a buyout of nearly 35-40 million PLUS buyout of their assistants at another 5-10 million? Then hire a top flight coach who will cost the same or even more? Maybe UT has that kinda cash but hard to imagine shelling out 60 million plus in a single year to change staffs.

For most schools no! For Texass uncomfortable but very doable and likely if things keep going the direction that they are.

The Texass fans and expecially the Texass donors believe that they are something special. Winning 8 games and going to a second or third tier bowl is abject failure in their minds, even though they have done it before. It wouldn't shock me to see a group of donors tell the AD that they have two choices, fire Mack and they will kick in the money to pay for it or don't fire Mack and they won't contribute at all.

Back