What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Out of state alums, join me in suspending financial support

As I understand it, CU is the only school in the BIG XII (possibly the country) that offers only 1 year contracts to its assistants.

That has long been bantered around as one of the shortcomings of CU. The fact is, most state employees are only allowed one year contracts.

In the 30 years I have been following CU football, I've NEVER heard of a CU coach being fired due to the 1 year contract limitation.

I think it is just a red herring thrown up by CU coaches as a way to justify their ****tiness.

Didn't the one year contracts only come along with TABOR?

Yep.

And the truly silly thing about the assistant coach thing is that the potential buyouts for assistants is a red herring. It's standard practice that they are written so that the settlement is only paid if the coach does not find another job. And there is always a clause that the fired coach has to be actively looking for employment. Plus, sitting out a year or two is a career killer so they want to find a job anyway. So in reality, the 1-year limit on contracts is populist garbage that doesn't save us money. It just makes it harder to attract the most qualified employees.

Last edited:
Benson, who must maintain oversight on the entire University of Colorado institution, doesn't believe that the link between sports and the broader interests of our University System is significant enough to invest heavily in the football program.

There's little doubt in my mind that the president would like to see winning sports programs across the board (to eliminate the headaches, if for no other reason), but he doesn't appear to believe that the value of success in sports is amplified for the greater benefit of the university. And perhaps he's right--it's his job to develop informed policies on these things. Furthermore, he sits in a political role, and must wrangle with other politicians to achieve what he feels is best overall for the CU system. Sometimes in politics, sacrifices must be made. He found it necessary to sacrifice football for other ends, it appears.

As fans, we recognize that football is the link that ties us to our alma mater. We tend to believe that an investment in football is an investment in all CU sports; that an investment in all CU sports is--proportionately speaking--an investment in the greater good of our university.

In this case, our philosophy is at odds with the University President. If we want to send a message, we should suspend donations to both sports AND academics.

Why? To demonstrate the importance of sports in maintaining a doner's interest to the overall needs of the university. If we continue donating to academic programs, but suspend AD donations, we've only supported Benson's belief system. However, if we quit donating altogether, we can change his opinion of the value of investing in a successful football program.

Walrus,

I'd take it a step further. I say donate to the AD but don't give a dime to the academic side. Send a letter to the Regents and Benson that since they do not support the CU athletic programs, you took it upon yourself to divert funds you usually gave to the university and sent them to our struggling athletic department instead. That's the kind of "**** you" they need to hear.

Walrus,

I'd take it a step further. I say donate to the AD but don't give a dime to the academic side. Send a letter to the Regents and Benson that since they do not support the CU athletic programs, you took it upon yourself to divert funds you usually gave to the university and sent them to our struggling athletic department instead. That's the kind of "**** you" they need to hear.

I thought about that option as well. If it was a mass movement, resulting in a statistically significant monetary shift, it would get some attention.

But I think the politically-sensitive funds that Benson is maintaining appearances in an effort to procure, tend to be the tax-accrued variety. So most of this probably doesn't make a big difference, but who knows?

I thought about that option as well. If it was a mass movement, resulting in a statistically significant monetary shift, it would get some attention.

But I think the politically-sensitive funds that Benson is maintaining appearances in an effort to procure, tend to be the tax-accrued variety. So most of this probably doesn't make a big difference, but who knows?

Word is that most of the academics on campus don't like Benson either. This is because he's a politician who likes to pretend he's an academic. People should also write or call the Dean of whichever school they graduated from and donate to that they will not be sending a nickel this year because of Bruce Benson, his meddling with the Hawkins affair, and his lack of support for CU athletic programs. Let's put pressure on Benson every way we can.

let's the next guy is a BIG athletics supporter and a huge BUFF football fan.

buffwings at the public hearing: "One question, sir, if I may. Please look at this handout I have provided and tell me, sir, are you a big athletic supporter?"

UG-AG897-SWIMJOCKBLUE_007

buffwings at the public hearing: "One question, sir, if I may. Please look at this handout I have provided and tell me, sir, are you a big athletic supporter?"

UG-AG897-SWIMJOCKBLUE_007
Come on...I should neg rep you...I about blew my tortilla soup into the monitor....

I never thought I'd reach this point, but I'm putting a stop to all financial support. I believe any dollar I send is an endorsement of the current policy. Coloradans are allowing this **** to continue by their lack of action at the ballot box, why should you continue to be the patsy?
You're kidding, right? :huh:

Word is that most of the academics on campus don't like Benson either. This is because he's a politician who likes to pretend he's an academic. People should also write or call the Dean of whichever school they graduated from and donate to that they will not be sending a nickel this year because of Bruce Benson, his meddling with the Hawkins affair, and his lack of support for CU athletic programs. Let's put pressure on Benson every way we can.
many of my professors were talking about what a terrible president he would make if he got selected (this was right before he got selected).

Back