What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Overall thoughts on the class

IF HCMM can coach like he did at SJSU then we will be just fine with future classes.

The one thing I will say about this staff is they were realistic. They targeted a handful of guys they knew they had a shot at, closing on most, then spent a good portion of their time getting a headstart on 2014. Hopefully that pays dividends a year from now, particularly with the in-state kids.

The one thing I will say about this staff is they were realistic. They targeted a handful of guys they knew they had a shot at, closing on most, then spent a good portion of their time getting a headstart on 2014. Hopefully that pays dividends a year from now, particularly with the in-state kids.

Amen. Seeing what they did there, knowing they can pull better recruits over the next few years than they ever did there, seeing them visiting the schools here and alreayd offering Juniors...that tells me they have a plan, they are realistic about what will work, and are actually working that plan.

Plan the work, work the plan. I was not unhappy with the hire to begin with, but the more I see the happier I am. May not have alot more wins this year, but I bet we don't look massively underprepared and outcoached this year.

Plan the work, work the plan. I was not unhappy with the hire to begin with, but the more I see the happier I am. May not have alot more wins this year, but I bet we don't look massively underprepared and outcoached this year.

I feel the opposite. Last place recruiting is what our leadership deserves when they played conservative and hired 'some guy' to coach us (twice in a row). I mean, when you're "on the ropes" like CU football was, you have to make a decisive move to not only equal your competitors, but jump them. They didn't do that. As a spoiler, recruiting will be ranked 10-12 in the Pac12 next year, too. It's the cold hard truth. Sorry.

I feel the opposite. Last place recruiting is what our leadership deserves when they played conservative and hired 'some guy' to coach us (twice in a row). I mean, when you're "on the ropes" like CU football was, you have to make a decisive move to not only equal your competitors, but jump them. They didn't do that. As a spoiler, recruiting will be ranked 10-12 in the Pac12 next year, too. It's the cold hard truth. Sorry.

Poor bastard.

I'm guessing there will be a couple of commits from Jr's before summer starts -- either local guys who have always wanted to go to CU, or young guns with whom the staff has developed a relationship over a period of time. I hope there are at least a couple who commit early -- sends a good message.

I'm also pretty certain that there will be a large number of potential recruits who wait until the season is underway. These will be the ones who are interested, but want to see the on-field product.

I'm most curious about potential summer recruits. NewMac and his crew have been running successful summer camps in Cali, and they may put together a one or more good ones in Boulder. I think the results of that (those) camps could be very telling for how recruiting will go next year.

May not have alot more wins this year, but I bet we don't look massively underprepared and outcoached this year.

Agreed. Do that for a while and things will slowly but surely begin to improve (get lucky, and they will improve even faster).

We have had underachieving coaching for years now. Simply having competent (not even great, simply COMPETENT) coaching will improve the win-loss total regardless of players (one could argue that with good coaching, we might not have won merely one game last year).

Obviously you have to have higher quality players to be in the mix for conference titles. But this coaching upgrade will make our team better even if we must suffer through the same quality recruits that we have been accustomed to getting lately for a while longer...

How do Buff fans rate the players in this class from top to bottom? At this point who would be ranked #1, #2, #3, ............?

Just wondering who that (some guy) coach should have been?

Chuck Fairbanks, Charlie Weiss, Bill Callahan and every other swing for the fences hire says hello.

Just wondering who that (some guy) coach should have been?

Charlie Strong. But he wasn't/isn't coming.

I was supportive of this hire, and haven't seen anything that makes second-guess that support (all things considered).

As much as I usually think you are a teenage drama queen, I do agree with this....but not in the way that you think. Yes, we got this class because we sucked. And JE and company sucked together, and most of the class was filled with his kids, that he took so early on because..I think he knew last year was going to suck, and would rather get who he got and try to hold on to them, than shoot for the stars and have nobody by the end of the season.

On the second part, yes, he brought in kids that we would like to be higher with offfers and stars, and those were who he was recruiting at SJSU. However, to pull better kids we would of had to hire a bigger name, bigger name recruiters, and NOBODY LIKE THAT WANTED TO COME HERE!!!!! That is the point. To break up his team that has obviously worked well together just for the sake of a fewer higher starred kids is not a wise idea. Now, it isn't that they couldn't recruit more desireable kids due to the lack of thier ability, it was due to the fact that SJSU was NOT somewhere that could attract those kind of kids. He can attract those kind of kids here, if he can prove he can win three, four, five wins next year. If he wins six and goes to a bowl game you will see huge gains next year in recruiting. But his staff did not have the long term connections with the higher ranked kids, so rather than reaching, he took the best kids he already had relationships with, and ones he knew fit his mold of who he wants CU football to be, kids with fire and character that he wants, and that is what he filled gaps with.

Just put a competent team on the field with competitive games and a few wins and next year will be better. four or five wins and I think low 40's to mid 50's. Six wins and a bowl game? I think he will get us into the solid 30's. Get solid 30 level kids and good coaching and it's game on baby.

Good post, a lot of valid points.

Ongoing this class isn't good enough that if repeated we would be able to move out of the PAC basement but for a transitional class put together on short notice and coming off a disaster season, a disaster coaching staff, and close to a disaster decade I am surprisingly optimistic.

We did get a bunch of SJSU guys but even that was better than a lot of what we got and kept from Hawkins last classes and what it looked like JE was going to finish this class with. We have a few guys with no other BCS offers that we are aware of but we also have more than those classes of kids who had at least one or two and some kids that were getting late interest from other schools. Again none of them that would inspire a discussion on ESPNU but at least better quality kids. We also got a lot of kids who look to be solid students and character guys. Offers from Yale, Air Force, Columbia don't necessarily indicate a guy can play but they usually mean that he can handle himself in a classroom. After seeing Hawkins bring in high rated but high risk guys only to see most of them wash out I'm ready for some stability.

We also seem to be getting a lot of late bloomers. Potential means you haven't done it yet and there is no guarantee that you ever will but at least there is reason to work and hope for development. We got a lot of kids who look like they don't shave yet, a lot of kids who didn't step up their HS careers until late but are still on the upward curve. Not all of these kids will turn into PAC level players but if a reasonable number do we will be way ahead of the "settle for" classes we have seen recently.

If many of these kids are playing in the next year or two we are worse than we want to admit. On the other hand if a number of them aren't developing into solid players within 2-3 years then the class is a lost year. Optimisticaly and I don't think this is all kool-aid I don't see either happen. I think we are going to see some quality contributors out of this class down the road.

At the same time it looks like M2 and staff are already ahead of where we would have been with JE. His staff is already out on kids for next year and they seem to be getting a decent reception. If we can just be winning the games we should our record this year will be a substantial improvement and we can start to sell a rising team. Even the games we lose shouldn't make us look as innept as we have been. I expect next years class to be a solid step up from this one. Still not much compared what the top teams bring in but at least allowing us to move up the rungs a bit in time.

After hearing Coach Mac talk about these guys on three stations (102.3, 850, and the crappy drive show) I'm more positive about this class. Thompson and Awuzie will have a chance to play right away, as will Sefo if he shows well when he arrives.

Last edited:
Good post, a lot of valid points.

Ongoing this class isn't good enough that if repeated we would be able to move out of the PAC basement but for a transitional class put together on short notice and coming off a disaster season, a disaster coaching staff, and close to a disaster decade I am surprisingly optimistic.

We did get a bunch of SJSU guys but even that was better than a lot of what we got and kept from Hawkins last classes and what it looked like JE was going to finish this class with. We have a few guys with no other BCS offers that we are aware of but we also have more than those classes of kids who had at least one or two and some kids that were getting late interest from other schools. Again none of them that would inspire a discussion on ESPNU but at least better quality kids. We also got a lot of kids who look to be solid students and character guys. Offers from Yale, Air Force, Columbia don't necessarily indicate a guy can play but they usually mean that he can handle himself in a classroom. After seeing Hawkins bring in high rated but high risk guys only to see most of them wash out I'm ready for some stability.

We also seem to be getting a lot of late bloomers. Potential means you haven't done it yet and there is no guarantee that you ever will but at least there is reason to work and hope for development. We got a lot of kids who look like they don't shave yet, a lot of kids who didn't step up their HS careers until late but are still on the upward curve. Not all of these kids will turn into PAC level players but if a reasonable number do we will be way ahead of the "settle for" classes we have seen recently.

If many of these kids are playing in the next year or two we are worse than we want to admit. On the other hand if a number of them aren't developing into solid players within 2-3 years then the class is a lost year. Optimisticaly and I don't think this is all kool-aid I don't see either happen. I think we are going to see some quality contributors out of this class down the road.

At the same time it looks like M2 and staff are already ahead of where we would have been with JE. His staff is already out on kids for next year and they seem to be getting a decent reception. If we can just be winning the games we should our record this year will be a substantial improvement and we can start to sell a rising team. Even the games we lose shouldn't make us look as innept as we have been. I expect next years class to be a solid step up from this one. Still not much compared what the top teams bring in but at least allowing us to move up the rungs a bit in time.

I think that even if Macatoo only wins one game, if we look competitive he will have a class in the 50's next year. With 4-5 wins, a class in the 40's. If CU squeaks out 6 wins, then in the 30's. If a bowl win happens, then high 30's, maybe low 20's. But I look at what he did with the 100 and 99 and 99 ranked classes...almost went int Stanford and beat then this year. Tell me CU had any shot at Stanford. None. So for his transitional class to be 68? Not bad. Methinks he could win 6 with a few years of classes in the 60's. Start hitting classes 40 and up a few years in a row and I think CU fans will be very happy with what we see on the field. It is all speculation, but I do like a coach that pulled a program out of the ashes and made it into a top 25 program in 3 years. I think he can do that here too. Maybe take a year or three longer due to the every week competition we face, but I feel it will happen. I also think we are going to be so jacked about our next class from him. End of the year is going to be good for visits. Kids just want to see that the team is improving and competitive and then they will jump on board with being part of something coming back.

im happy thus far with mac and his crew..they seem to have a plan and know that our program needs to be built a brick at a time... just having some watchable competitive games would be fine with me next year

As much as I usually think you are a teenage drama queen, I do agree with this....but not in the way that you think. Yes, we got this class because we sucked. And JE and company sucked together, and most of the class was filled with his kids, that he took so early on because..I think he knew last year was going to suck, and would rather get who he got and try to hold on to them, than shoot for the stars and have nobody by the end of the season.

On the second part, yes, he brought in kids that we would like to be higher with offfers and stars, and those were who he was recruiting at SJSU. However, to pull better kids we would of had to hire a bigger name, bigger name recruiters, and NOBODY LIKE THAT WANTED TO COME HERE!!!!! That is the point. To break up his team that has obviously worked well together just for the sake of a fewer higher starred kids is not a wise idea. Now, it isn't that they couldn't recruit more desireable kids due to the lack of thier ability, it was due to the fact that SJSU was NOT somewhere that could attract those kind of kids. He can attract those kind of kids here, if he can prove he can win three, four, five wins next year. If he wins six and goes to a bowl game you will see huge gains next year in recruiting. But his staff did not have the long term connections with the higher ranked kids, so rather than reaching, he took the best kids he already had relationships with, and ones he knew fit his mold of who he wants CU football to be, kids with fire and character that he wants, and that is what he filled gaps with.

Just put a competent team on the field with competitive games and a few wins and next year will be better. four or five wins and I think low 40's to mid 50's. Six wins and a bowl game? I think he will get us into the solid 30's. Get solid 30 level kids and good coaching and it's game on baby.

Don't interfere with the Bohn hate.

Importing the SJSU staff - desperation
Keeping all of JE's recruits - desperation
Filling in numbers with more 2* athletes - deperation

I know he's supposed to be a good field coach, and don't we need that. We will hopefully beat CSU and the division 2 teams we schedule in the future. But all this talk about getting guys that play both ways and coaching like he did in a lesser conference is a recipe for competing in a lesser conference. He stepped up to the big leagues, albeit at a down program, and now he has to step up his game, not keep doing the same ol'. I also disagree that we're guaranteed a better recruiting class next year despite our record. If we win one game next year, this program will stay buried in the bottom third.

Importing the SJSU staff - desperation (or placing a higher value on a proven team than an individual splash)
Keeping all of JE's recruits - desperation (Or doing the honorable thing for committed students and their families. The guys that he MM pursued, he largely got)
Filling in numbers with more 2* athletes - deperation (did he improve the overall star rating of the class he inherited?)

I know he's supposed to be a good field coach, and don't we need that. We will hopefully beat CSU and the division 2 teams we schedule in the future. But all this talk about getting guys that play both ways and coaching like he did in a lesser conference is a recipe for competing in a lesser conference. He stepped up to the big leagues, albeit at a down program, and now he has to step up his game, not keep doing the same ol'. I also disagree that we're guaranteed a better recruiting class next year despite our record. If we win one game next year, this program will stay buried in the bottom third.

See bolded above. I'm playing devil's advocate here, because I don't know. I'm just spit-balling alternatives to "desperation".

I fully acknowledge that we'll have to recruit more competitive athletes in the future in order to compete in our conference. And it certainly would have been nice if he'd turned maybe two more key athletes for this class.

But when you look at the CU situation, and the period of time that TunaMac was provided to build his staff and salvage a class, it's possible that "reality" is a better term than "desperation". We'll see where we are after two seasons. Do we need to be at our end state? Of course not. But we should be seeing some building blocks toward success by then.

Importing the SJSU staff - desperation
Keeping all of JE's recruits - desperation
Filling in numbers with more 2* athletes - deperation

I understand Rivals had CU at #68 class, there are 125 teams in FBS.......So I believe we are barely buried in the bottom half. Of course if you were referring to standings then yes, 1 win would guarantee a bottom third finish. Thanks for clarifying.

Anyone hear Klatt being his usual self-righteous douchebag self this morning with HCMM?

Half of his speaking time wasn't spent asking questions, but lecturing MM. He is truly insufferable.

Anyone hear Klatt being his usual self-righteous douchebag self this morning with HCMM?

Half of his speaking time wasn't spent asking questions, but lecturing MM. He is truly insufferable.
Nope, still boycotting the Fan until Joel is gone.

Yes. "I got one thing to say coach, get to work." MMac was probably wondering who this douche is. I am officially done with that show and most of the other ones on there. Mile High Sports FTW!

Back