What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

P-10 & larry scott has their eye on the buffs

Why are so many fans clamoring for a move to the Pac-10? It is a weaker conference top-to-bottom, and how is getting destroyed by USC any better than getting destroyed by Texas?

Changing conferences doesn't make our football team better. I think a lot of you think that it does.

I see a big disadvantage in conference prestige here. If you are the second best team in the Big 12, you will go to a BCS bowl more often than not. Can't say the same for the Pac-10. I see the #2 spot in the B12 as a hell of a lot more of a realistic ambition when the stars align every 7-10 years than #1 in the Pac10.

There are peripheral advantages for making the move, to be sure, but I think most CU fans that are all about this just want to something new and shiny to get excited about since the program is so down right now.

When the B12 renegotiates its TV contract, I am sure that it will be more lucrative than what the Pac-10 has to offer financially. In the long run, a switch is a lateral move at absolute best.

You are assuming that ther will still be a Big-12 in a few years. CU might not be the first team to bolt.

I love the Big XII, that said it has some long term viability issues in todays college football environment, and football is what pays the bills so it gets to pick the direction of travel.

Football revenue is generated from three sources, stadium revenue including tickets, seat licenses, concessions, parking, in stadium advertising, etc. is the first. Some Big XII schools do very well in this regard (UT, OU, kNU) others no so much (ISU,BU,KSU,KU.) On total the big XII is probably stronger than the PAC 10 in this area with the loyal fanatics turning out for the traditional powers but in the PAC 10 the LA schools, Cal, Washington and the Arizona schoolstraditionally do reasonably well and Oregon is building in this area

The second source is broadcast revenues including local and national radio which is a small piece and television which is a huge piece. The third source is athletic related donations either to the athletic program or to other programs in the school.

The Big XII has major limitations in terms of broadcast revenue growth. The only major markets directly in the Big XII footprint are the Texas Markets of Houston, Dallas-Ft.Worth, San Antonio, the Denver market, and the Missouri markets of St. Louis and Kansas City. Compare this to the PAC 10 with LA, San Diego (a MWC city but a PAC 10 city for TV purposes,) San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Seattle, Phoenix. The PAC 10 also dominates TV in Las Vegas. Not only are these markets in total significantly larger than the Big XII markets but also more lucrative and historically the PAC 10 has done better nationally. Let Mizzou slip to the Big X and the Big XII is basically a Texas conference with an outpost in Denver from a national TV market perspective. Move CU into the PAC 10 and the conference will have a claim to dominance over most of the western US pinching the Big XII into the southcentral states (especially is Mizzou goes Big X.)

The third area, donations, is much harder to tie down but it is known that the more visible the school is athletically to the potential donors the more likely they are to donate. Joining the PAC 10 would put CU back into stronger touch with the west coast alumni base. The AD would have reason to have yearly events for these alums keeping the request for donations front and center. These fans would be able to attend games, join with other alums, and build a stronger personal relationship to the school, and then donate.

From a pure football standpoint I want us to stay in the Big XII. Year in and year out the league is consistently one of the top two conferences along with the SEC. With the new landscape of college football on the horizon however I am not sure this will continue to be the case. If CU gets the opportunity to jump into a league that is a better fit, it should jump while it can. I don't want to see the Big XII disolve and we end up in something like the MWC or the WAC for lack of other choices.

MtnBuff hit all the reasons this needs to happen. And I'm saying that as a CU fan in the heart of Big 12 country. I HATE what's about to come for the Big 12, because I love this league from a competitive standpoint, but its about to fly headlong into a wall and CU needs to secure its future, as I think the Big 10 will take MU and NU by the end of the summer. CU can't stay after that. And, after that the league's destruction will start in earnest.

One of the best on-campus game environments in the nation, one of the top 25 programs of all time (wins & prestige), one of the few programs that have both a national championship and a Heisman winner, etc., etc. Think about this: we're coming off a decade that we consider awful. But we won the Big 12 North 4/10 years, won 1 Big 12 Championship, were within a couple hundredths of BCS points of playing in a national championship game, had 9 1st team All Americans, and in 2009 we still had 25 CU guys playing in the NFL.

Sometimes, I think we sell ourselves short. It's like Buff Nation is in a state of depression and has trouble seeing what others see. We are one of the "haves" of college football. Just like the University of Washington (a very similar program, university and media market) had several down years, it didn't change the fact that they're one of the big boys in college football. Let's not forget that CU is also in that number. Better days are ahead.

Edit: Just like the football team talked about getting their "swag" back and started acting like that this spring, we as a fan base need to get our swag back too. Screw it. I'm there. I'm going to be a cocky fan this year and from now on. And I'm not taking any more crap from fans of other teams.

excellence. Your post and the buffs.

You are assuming that ther will still be a Big-12 in a few years. CU might not be the first team to bolt.

Exactly. I expect that Big 10 will poach Mizzou and nU. That leaves us as the new "Big 10". So that's two holes to fill to get to have a Conference Championship game, which the Texass schools will holler and scream for. Then, it becomes pretty precarious (IMHO) as to what happens with the SEC, who will smell blood in the water. I think they try to pick up Texas (and little brother Aggie to go with them), or maybe OU and OSU. That takes us back to Big 8 with CU, ISU, KSU, KU, Baylor, TT, and either OU/OSU or UT/aTm.

That leaves the (former) Big XII with 4 holes to fill. I happen to think that the Big XII, driven by football alone, would probably take four out of Boise State, UU, UNM, Houston, SMU, TTU. Either way, it's going to get hard to get an autobid with the bottom of the conference (CU included) dragging down the RPI rating or whatever the new rules say. I think the Big XII has a better chance than not of ending up on the outside of the BCS picture looking in the next several years.

However, that's just one scenario.

Exactly. I expect that Big 10 will poach Mizzou and nU. That leaves us as the new "Big 10". So that's two holes to fill to get to have a Conference Championship game, which the Texass schools will holler and scream for. Then, it becomes pretty precarious (IMHO) as to what happens with the SEC, who will smell blood in the water. I think they try to pick up Texas (and little brother Aggie to go with them), or maybe OU and OSU. That takes us back to Big 8 with CU, ISU, KSU, KU, Baylor, TT, and either OU/OSU or UT/aTm.

That leaves the (former) Big XII with 4 holes to fill. I happen to think that the Big XII, driven by football alone, would probably take four out of Boise State, UU, UNM, Houston, SMU, TTU. Either way, it's going to get hard to get an autobid with the bottom of the conference (CU included) dragging down the RPI rating or whatever the new rules say. I think the Big XII has a better chance than not of ending up on the outside of the BCS picture looking in the next several years.

However, that's just one scenario.

If the B10/11 goes to 16 by grabbing MU, kNU, Syr, Rutgers and Pitt or KU, I expect the SEC will go nuts and try to grab UT/aTm and OU/OSU. Then CU will be truly screwed unless the Pac10 extends an invite. The rest of the B12 teams (KjSU, ISU, TT, Baylor, CU (unless the Pac10 rescues CU)) will probably get folded into the Mtn. Weenie Div. whihch will make a run at a BCS invite. If the above goes down, whihc admittedly isn't likely, the B12 will fold.

If the B10/11 goes to 16 by grabbing MU, kNU, Syr, Rutgers and Pitt or KU, I expect the SEC will go nuts and try to grab UT/aTm and OU/OSU. Then CU will be truly screwed unless the Pac10 extends an invite. The rest of the B12 teams (KjSU, ISU, TT, Baylor, CU (unless the Pac10 rescues CU)) will probably get folded into the Mtn. Weenie Div. whihch will make a run at a BCS invite. If the above goes down, whihc admittedly isn't likely, the B12 will fold.

Given the state of Colorado's track record on the Superconductor, the United Airlines hub, and basically anything relating to energy or technology, I am not holding a lot of hope for Colorado's politicians to act quickly or effectively on behalf of CU.

This is a state that created Tom Tancredo, Douglas Bruce, Gary Hart, Ben Nighthorse Campbell, and a bunch of other short hitters.

Dooooooooooooooom!

Back