1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P12 CG to Levi's?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by cubuffs85, May 6, 2014.

1. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...40506/pac-12-football-championship-game-site/

2. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Horse ****. Advantage Stanford and Cal (if they ever make it back to the CCG).

3. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Not a fan. Attendance becomes a concern when you move this game off campus.

5. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

stupid idea.

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Larry Scott's forward thinking seems to be flatlining.

7. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

I had heard that the new stadium was going to be outside San Fran, but 40 miles? That's stupid.

8. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Not a fan of this idea -- I like the idea it rewards the better team. I do see the problem with trying to make an event viable on such short notice however. Fans are going to have to travel on short notice even at neutral venue however and it will be harder for people who have to travel.

9. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

In baseball (and to a lesser extent, hockey/basketball), I would tend to agree with you and ideally, you want a stadium in the city proper, especially downtown. However, we're talking about 8-12 games a year (including preseason/posteason). Almost all the games are on the weekend and you're dealing with a lot of traffic anyways.

10. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i wouldn't be in favor of a permanent home, but i wouldn't mind rotating neutral sites. anything other than having a participant host, however, is very likely to result in unfavorable outcomes for CU. they aren't going to play a conference champ game at invesco, for example. too much of an outlier from the other schools to get the votes, i'd bet. even if they were to rotate, it would probably go socal, nocal, other, socal, nocal, other as a sequence.

11. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

it was all about which city had the balls to pony up a deal to get the stadium. santa clara wanted it badly. and, with the prices they are going to charge for tickets in the new stadium, more than half the season ticket holders are likely to come from areas close to the new location.

it is a black eye for sf, imho. and, they have completely priced out the working class.

12. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

not really they cant even get fans to their own stadiums.

13. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Yep, attendance would be the main concern here. Even with Stanford or Cal involved. Actually, *especially* with Stanford or Cal involved.

14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I don't know the numbers and the logistical issues with the way things are currently set up. I'm not sure what the best business and event exposure decision is on this one. It's going to be about the money. It always is.

But as a fan, it's about more than the money so I'll put that stuff to the side.

As a fan, I like the idea of having an opportunity to host the championship game in our home stadium. And I think it's very fair that the top team gets home field advantage. I also think it's something that enhances interest from the university communities that could see a very impactful event come to town every now and again. There's something a lot more in tune with college sports to have an on-campus championship game in a town like Boulder or Eugene or Tucson or Pullman instead of locking it into a sterile NFL stadium in a huge city. Also, we're the Pac-12 and Larry needs to understand that certain dreams are not attainable -- we're not going to ever have the atmosphere that SEC fans create in the Georgia Dome.

15. Buff_nc

Buff_nc Club Member Club Member

Strictly for selfish reasons I love it. I work not too far from the new stadium, and it is going to kick ass. I'll go to the game regardless of who is playing, it would be fun. Yes I'd rather travel to Boulder for it though :)

16. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

The "working class" fans are getting more/more priced out in the age of SOTA stadiums complete with luxury suites. SF does have one of the highest cost of living areas in the country, so they can do that in the first place.

17. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

The SEC is the only one who should do it at a true neutral site year-after-year, since they always sell out and it's such an event.

Whenever I see the suggestions to take away the CGs, I can't see the SEC AD's agreeing to this.

18. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I guess I really don't care since I think it's going to be at least another 6-7 years before CU even sniffs a division championship.

19. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Doesn´t Santa Clara want the A´s also, but the Giants keep saying "no dice" due to their South Bay territorial rights?

20. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Might be, but that's primarily San Jose. Ironically enough, Oakland used to have those *rights* but gave them to the A's when they were in the process of moving to Tampa so they could stay in the Bay Area and of course, they didn't end up using it.

21. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Larry Scott should come to Denver this August 29 and see how sterile a game can be in an NFL stadium even when one fanbase has hyped it as their Super Bowl.

22. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I believe that if a team has both hockey and basketball teams AND they share an arena. You roughly get an equal number of games. Add in the extra events at an arena and is perfect for a city center, especially with a much smaller footprint.

23. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Actually think PSLs might be a far bigger issue here. Some people *might* be able to afford to drop 2-3 grand on the tickets every year, but shelling out 20k+ just for the right to buy your seats when the team moves might be the deal breaker. And it´s not like you get that money back if you´re ever forced to drop your seats ...

24. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Is he a football fan?
    ---------------------------
    ****ing A, the best team should host the game. That is a great reward to a great season, and imagining it being in Folsom one day is too exciting for words. It would be INSANE.

25. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Considering how long it will conceivably be before the Buffs would ever host this game, I don't have an issue with it. I think the Big 12 actually had the best model with a rotation among neutral sites.

26. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

In most cases you're right (some exceptions like Detroit/Miami/you could say the Bay Area). I just don't care as much since they're indoors and generic for the most part. Between all four sports, I care the least about football being in the city.

How much are the PSLs at the new Minnesota stadium? How much was it for the Giants/Jets? I don't think there's too many "reasonable" deals out there, atleast for decent seats. And you don't have to drop your seats, you can sell your PSLs and make a profit.

27. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

This idea blows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

28. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

This. Totally ****ing dumb.

29. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

If by "Rotation among neutral sites", you actually mean "3 out of 4 years in Jerry world", then I agree.

30. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Larry Scott is scared that CU's rebuild is ahead of schedule and is exploring ways to not risk having the 2014 CCG played in a blizzard at Folsom.