What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

P12 CG to Levi's?

The Big Ten plays its conference championship game in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis (NFL Colts stadium).

The ACC plays its conference championship game in NFL stadiums. (Jacksonville, Tampa, Charlotte)

The SEC plays its conference championship game in the Georgia Dome. (Atlanta Falcons)

The Big 12, when it had a conference championship game, played primarily in NFL stadiums, but has used the Alamodome in San Antonio for a few games. The Big 12 rotated the game through a variety of locales including Kansas City, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

I think the Pac 12 was the only conference playing the conference championship game on college campuses.

Unfortunately I think the game is still scheduled to be played on a Friday, which is just dumb quite frankly if you are asking people to travel on short notice.

Unfortunately I think the game is still scheduled to be played on a Friday, which is just dumb quite frankly if you are asking people to travel on short notice.

yep, but it should help TV ratings with the other three BCS CCGs all on Saturday.

My problem is that at least part of their rationale for holding it on campus was the pictures of half empty ACC championship games. Pac 12 fans didn't start traveling better in the last three years, so the same concerns still exist. And the locals didn't pick up the slack for Stanford a couple years ago, they're going to show up now because it's an NFL stadium? I just don't see it working.

I think the Bay Area is actually a pretty good choice for this game. I'm not certain that attendance will be so bad. There are alumni from every Pac 12 school in the Bay Area. You'd get 10,000 CU fans there easily, and they wouldn't have to travel.
There's really no "central" location in the P12, the Bay Area is about the best you'll do between have lots of alums already there and a state of the art stadium. The downside is it's 40 miles away from SF and on a worknight, most likely the game will be played before 6 PM (PST) this year to appease the east coast (I can't imagine at 10 EST start on a Friday night). I'm not sure how many who don't have a rooting interest will go. There will probably be a lot this year with the novelty of the event, but who knows in subsequent years. Last year when FSU was in the ACC CG, lots of their fans just stayed home since they wanted to save $ for the BCS title game. I'd imagine that if a non-California team was playing and had a decent chance (think Oregon when they played UCLA), that many of the fans would take the calculated risk and just buy tickets for the playoff. Not to mention now with the playoff, it's just gotten more expensive for the fans, since they'll have to travel atleast twice in theory, possibly three times if you include the Conf CG.

Spencer Hall weighs in:

The Pac-12's Championship game will be held at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California starting in 2014. If you are ignorant of Bay Area geography, you should know that the new home of the 49ers is closer to San Jose than it is to San Francisco, and is located in a vibrant, exciting slice of Santa Clara's rich humanity-cake.
Behold mapped evidence of this:

The good news is that Chris Petersen, ever thrifty, can have himself shipped directly to the game. ("That's the only way he'll ever get there," screams a Wazzu fan before drunkenly falling out of the back of a passing truck.) The bad news is that the clean, well-run Pac-12 Championship Game will be happening in a place that is both expensive and not terribly interesting, and that you'll still have to go to in the name of being a servile, unquestioning slave to your team.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2014/5/15/5721434/the-pac-12-championship-games-announces-intent-to-eat-bennigans

I see there's a BART station right across the parking lot. So at least we know liver will make the game.

I see there's a BART station right across the parking lot. So at least we know liver will make the game.

It isn't a Bart station I don't think... It is probably Caltrain. Which is worse than Bart. I don't know for sure. No one actually goes to that area except to office parks for work.

And I'll be at the next bowl or conf champ game our buffs are in, regardless of where, assuming it happens in my lifetime.

Starting to dislike Larry Scott. A lot.

The on campus thing was the one thing the Pac had going for it. It made us different.

No way, no how is that place going to sell out with Washington vs Arizona as a CC game. There will be at most 30k people there. Stupid.

And then play it on Friday night? Yeah, just take that back seat yourself and pull it out and sit down, Larry.

It's so beyond absurd in my mind. You want to be a big time conference? ****ing act like it. Play it on Saturday would be number one. Then, play it in a place where there might be a packed house. The team with the better record would do that.

But, fine. Lets play in a ****ing NFL stadium that will be 35% full and that will really impress the east coast voters we are trying to impress. Yeah.... they are going to think the Pac 12 is big time.

Then they will look at the attendance at the last Texas High School playoff game and notice that exceeds what the Pac 12 drew to their championship game. And we want to be big time and wonder why the Pac-12 and their players get the short end of the stick?

Start acting acting like a big conference. Schedule your games when people can see them. Get your game on a platform where people can watch them.

Until the Pac 12 does so.... they will become more and more a MWC than a SEC.

Yeah. There is no BART station. The only good thing about Caltrain is it is legal to drink on it. But that doesn't matter much because you can drink on BART if you want to.

As noted by many, the problem with this plan is that he pac 12 fan bases in general don't travel. You might be able to have SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 conference championship games at neutral sites and fill the stadium, but I just don't see it in the PAC 12. Half the good teams can't even sell out their own stadiums when they are rolling.

Despite your tendency to hold back your feelings and really let us know where you stand, I agree with this post quite a bit.

Well, I don't know Larry enough to dislike him yet, but I totally relate and approve of venting at your conference commish.

The on campus thing was the one thing the Pac had going for it. It made us different.

No way, no how is that place going to sell out with Washington vs Arizona as a CC game. There will be at most 30k people there. Stupid.

And then play it on Friday night? Yeah, just take that back seat yourself and pull it out and sit down, Larry.

It's so beyond absurd in my mind. You want to be a big time conference? ****ing act like it. Play it on Saturday would be number one. Then, play it in a place where there might be a packed house. The team with the better record would do that.

But, fine. Lets play in a ****ing NFL stadium that will be 35% full and that will really impress the east coast voters we are trying to impress. Yeah.... they are going to think the Pac 12 is big time.

Then they will look at the attendance at the last Texas High School playoff game and notice that exceeds what the Pac 12 drew to their championship game. And we want to be big time and wonder why the Pac-12 and their players get the short end of the stick?

Start acting acting like a big conference. Schedule your games when people can see them. Get your game on a platform where people can watch them.

Despite your tendency to hold back your feelings and really let us know where you stand, I agree with this post quite a bit.

Well, I don't know Larry enough to dislike him yet, but I totally relate and approve of venting at your conference commish.

I just need to do a good rant once a week. Sometimes two to three. No matter how assinine. Just makes me feel better.

It's just how I roll.

Should've kept it at home sites until Vegas opened their new superstadium and moved the game there.

sarcasm? or reference to UNLV's proposed stadium? or both?

Whatever that big ass thing that was proposed for years, like the mythical new Guns n Roses album, that would be a monumental upgrade over Sam Boyd, was. Early December is prime time for visiting Vegas IMO and would be an ideal central compromise location within the Pac-12 footprint.

Especially these 2. Get your network on DTV, whatever the price. It's called exposure, Mr. so-called genius.

Awesome post 4dem

Should've kept it at home sites until Vegas opened their new superstadium and moved the game there.
I don't think it's going to Vegas, works well for basketball because everyone is in it. I'm not sure they would want both football/basketball in the same city.

I don't think it's going to Vegas, works well for basketball because everyone is in it. I'm not sure they would want both football/basketball in the same city.

the operative word associated with the uproar and displeasure

Back