What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-10 rivalries

NashBuff

CSU Knob-Slobberer
Serious question here...what are the main Pac-10 rivalries in basketball? I believe this could be a key to determining the divisional split in football.

I don't think that the rivalries change, just the relative strength of the different programs. Arizona is a powerhouse and Washington State is damn good, too. USC's not as important. UCLA is king.

Regardless, I've heard differing reports on whether the Pac-12 will have divisions for any sport other than football. It could go with the Big 12 model (full round robin with divisional teams, 1 game against each non-division team, and 16 total conference games). But there are other setups that could work such as a full round robin with the regional pod (2 each vs Arizona, Arizona State and Utah = 6) plus a rotation of either 2 or 1 each against the other 2 pods (4x2 and 4x1 = 12) for 18 total conference games. Or something else. One thing that would really surprise me would be a complete conference round robin. 22 conference games is too many and would really make it hard to get teams tourney eligible.

18 games. round robin with division mates, 2 locked in cross divisionl round robin, and then fill out the rest with random other one and dones in the conference.

despite last year's weak showing, I think the Pac 10 is an excellent bball conference. UCLA and Arizona are great schools, and the rest of the programs seem to be steadily competitive with an oustanding year every now and then. That can be said of every school with exception of Oregon St. Cal, Stanford, USC, ASU, Oregon, Wash, and Wash St all have showed up well every now over the years. I thought the Big 12 was the best conference last year, but I think over the last ten years, after the Big East and ACC, you have the Pac 10 in terms of level of bball.

Back