1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pac-10 rivalries

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by NashBuff, Sep 2, 2010.

1. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Jun 30, 2009
    Serious question here...what are the main Pac-10 rivalries in basketball? I believe this could be a key to determining the divisional split in football.
  2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I don't think that the rivalries change, just the relative strength of the different programs. Arizona is a powerhouse and Washington State is damn good, too. USC's not as important. UCLA is king.

Regardless, I've heard differing reports on whether the Pac-12 will have divisions for any sport other than football. It could go with the Big 12 model (full round robin with divisional teams, 1 game against each non-division team, and 16 total conference games). But there are other setups that could work such as a full round robin with the regional pod (2 each vs Arizona, Arizona State and Utah = 6) plus a rotation of either 2 or 1 each against the other 2 pods (4x2 and 4x1 = 12) for 18 total conference games. Or something else. One thing that would really surprise me would be a complete conference round robin. 22 conference games is too many and would really make it hard to get teams tourney eligible.
  3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Feb 1, 2008
    18 games. round robin with division mates, 2 locked in cross divisionl round robin, and then fill out the rest with random other one and dones in the conference.
  4. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2006
    despite last year's weak showing, I think the Pac 10 is an excellent bball conference. UCLA and Arizona are great schools, and the rest of the programs seem to be steadily competitive with an oustanding year every now and then. That can be said of every school with exception of Oregon St. Cal, Stanford, USC, ASU, Oregon, Wash, and Wash St all have showed up well every now over the years. I thought the Big 12 was the best conference last year, but I think over the last ten years, after the Big East and ACC, you have the Pac 10 in terms of level of bball.