1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pac 12 Alpha Dog WR in 2015

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by TSchekler, May 28, 2015.

1. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

2. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

love Spruce but Jones is easily the best WR in the Pac-12.

3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Chantel Jennings is a dumbass

4. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Jones is better.

5. TSchekler

His 4 points of criteria seem to fit for Spruce as well, IMO, except for the winning enough games (which could change this year). Good to see someone is acknowledging CU and Spruce, though.

Edit: I will also say we lose out in the rushing threat category, too.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  6. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Spruce is more clutch

7. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

BTW, DJ Foster was mentioned will be the best offensive player in the conference.

8. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

I think that Jones has a better overall supporting cast (QB, other WR's, RB, TE, etc.) but Spruce is a better receiver. Unless Fields, Bobo, MacIntyre, Ross, Lee, etc. as well as the RB corps can relieve the double teams/bracket coverage that Spruce started to receive towards the end of the year, his YPC will still lag behind many other receivers in the P12.

He is still going to catch a TON of passes and score a good number of TD's, but unless he gets some assistance, I don't think he tops the league in TDs this season.

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Interesting. I would have actually predicted that Spruce's receptions decline from 2014 but his YPC and TDs go up.

10. TSchekler

Agreed. With one extra game this year, I could see his yards remaining the same or even increasing along with his TDs, but his receptions to go down (106 is A LOT), thus increasing his YPC.

11. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

Where I was coming from with that is that I think Lindgren's offense utilizes so many quick passing routes that he's still going to get those quick hitches, slants, screens, outs, etc... it's the longer passes that are going to be more difficult to come by with bracket coverage. It will be interesting to see if we can utilize double moves better. With Spruce's route running abilities - the hitch and go, post-corners, etc. should be available at some point in the game, we just have to capitalize when those opportunities arise.

I think this is why we see Sefo's YPA is way down near the bottom of the PAC, as well as many of our WR's being well behind their peers in YPC.

12. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

I was intially in agreement, but this also means someone steps up. Shay Fields will get better, but we have question marks beyond that. I like Bobo, but he hasn't done much yet.

13. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Bobo was improving a lot before he got demolished against USC. He'll make some plays for us this year. Big and pretty fast.

14. Buffnik

I think we'll get more from the slot with Lee & MacIntyre this year than we got from Goodson & Lee last year.

Shay should take a step forward.

The big questions on the outside is who emerges from Bobo, Ross, Walker and Dunston.

15. onealcd

Would have been awesome if we landed jones as a transfer instead of Arizona. Wide receiver would be looking nice right now.

16. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Back on the Alpha Dog categorization, I'm truly hopeful that Spruce has some legitimate help this year. It really hurt us in conference play when teams with better athletes dialed in on him.

17. DiggerBuffs

DiggerBuffs Well-Known Member

It didn't help having Sefo's eyes glued to him either.

Bobo is fast and tough to bring down. He doubles his totals easily is my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I think Spruce leads the conference in receptions this year. He's Sefo's security blanket.

19. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

He needs to stop being Sefo's security blanket. Sefo is a Junior. He shouldn't need a security blanket anymore. Bobo and Fields need to take a step up. I like what I saw from Fields last year. I think he's a kid who has a very bright future here. He just needs to get a little more aggressive when going after footballs that are in the air. He gave up on too many balls that could have been caught, IMO.

20. onealcd

I think a lot of the success this year depends on Lee and McIntyre at the slot. The middle of the field seemed to be wide open last year but the offense always focused on outside routes.

21. Buffnik

Got to be able to use the slot receivers for more than screen passes. They have to be able to challenge the safeties in the seam and on wheel routes. They have to be able to get loose on some mid or deep crossing patterns. (Some of that comes down to how much time the OL can give.) Also, we need to add Keeney to the "slot" discussion since he'll be in the McCulloch spot as a slot TE much of the time.