What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Bubble Watch Comparison

How Many PAC-12 Teams Make The Tourney?

Votes: 3 4.5%

Votes: 50 75.8%

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters
I think we still need to see one big road win to be in serious consideration. Either 'Zona or Oregon would qualify. I think it takes 6-1 to get in. If the game at Cal hadn't slipped away, I think 5-2 would do it.

Also, I still don't understand how Cal's RPI is so high. They've played two top opponents (UNLV and Mizzou) and were run out of the gym by both. They lost to the Wildcats at home, though they do have a few nice wins against UCLA, CU, and at Washington and Oregon. Not too much different than beating Washington, 'Zona, and Oregon, imo, other than the road wins, especially after they lose in Boulder.
Playing and getting destroyed by top level opponents helps your RPI a lot. See: CSU

Yeah. I'd like to see us put KU on the schedule every year.

We are no longer a guaranteed win for those top programs, so getting a home and home will be near impossible. This is important be cause a lot of the elite teams leave their gym only a couple of times before conference play.

Yeah. I'd like to see us put KU on the schedule every year.

Ugh. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

If I EVER see a Beaker ever again, it will be too soon. DONE WITH THEM.

For OOC scheduling right now, I love your local tourney idea (UNC, CSU, AFA & CU -- possibly Wyoming instead). I love the idea of playing UNM (I want to go to The Pit). I want to play one "big" team every year (a Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, Indiana, someone with prestige). BUT NO MORE BEAKERS.

Playing and getting destroyed by top level opponents helps your RPI a lot. See: CSU

I still remember that biting us in the ass last year, with teams that lost to a lot of good programs but didn't really beat anybody ending up with a better RPI than the Buffs, who had several wins against teams with high RPIs...

I guess...that 40 point loss to Mizzou looks pretty impressive!

RPI doesn't factor in the game score. All that matters is that you play Mizzou. Not only do you get the strength of their record on your schedule, but you get the bump from the records of their opponents (and they've played a very good schedule).

Also, it's important to play them on the road. Road losses don't count against RPI as much as home losses but give the same benefits. Being a sacrificial lamb on the road is a great way to have a Top 30 RPI.

RPI doesn't factor in the game score. All that matters is that you play Mizzou. Not only do you get the strength of their record on your schedule, but you get the bump from the records of their opponents (and they've played a very good schedule).

Also, it's important to play them on the road. Road losses don't count against RPI as much as home losses but give the same benefits. Being a sacrificial lamb on the road is a great way to have a Top 30 RPI.

Yeah, I know the score doesn't matter, but that's my main argument, the computer doesn't care how well you play. Just such a flawed system that receives far too much attention from the selection committee, IMO.

Yeah, I know the score doesn't matter, but that's my main argument, the computer doesn't care how well you play. Just such a flawed system that receives far too much attention from the selection committee, IMO.

KenPom's much better, if still flawed.

Craziest thing is that the selection committee considers both RPI and SOS as metrics despite the fact that RPI is based on persormance against SOS. So it ends up that who you played (regardless of result) is ridiculously overrated.

Craziest thing is that the selection committee considers both RPI and SOS as metrics despite the fact that RPI is based on persormance against SOS. So it ends up that who you played (regardless of result) is ridiculously overrated.

Logic that only makes sense to the NCAA! I understand looking at SOS, but who the **** cares if you can't win the games? I agree with you though, we need to see one big-time OOC opponent each year, and as the play in the Pac 12 improves, SOS should take care of itself.

...I actually think the committee doesn't really look at the RPI. It just so happens that things they look at seem to correlate with the RPI somewhat. The committee has their own rules and direction, and RPI really has little influence. SOS, quality wins, etc - things that RPI considers do - but correlation does not mean causation.

...I actually think the committee doesn't really look at the RPI. It just so happens that things they look at seem to correlate with the RPI somewhat. The committee has their own rules and direction, and RPI really has little influence. SOS, quality wins, etc - things that RPI considers do - but correlation does not mean causation.

RPI is on their team sheets, I believe.

Edit: Found it. It's loaded with RPI considerations: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/pdfs/2012/2012+01-29+mbb+team+sheets

huh...no ****ing ****.

1) wow...you are very quick...
2) I stand corrected I guess, but my comments stem from countless interviews that have been done with committee members. It seems like they always seem to blow off the RPI. So I guess they have the information, and they have to consider it since they have it...who knows how much weight they give it. The committee is always interesting - to be a fly on the wall.

UCLA beat Stanford. The Furd is falling apart lately and has gone from being a tourney team to an NIT bubble team in the last 2 weeks.

UCLA is on the rise. Glad we don't play them again.

Also, Oregon State lost at home to Washington State. The Beavs may also be imploding.

If CU plays its game, 4 wins in the next 6 is what the expectation should be. And both Cal and Oregon are very winnable.

This ain't over.

UCLA beat Stanford. The Furd is falling apart lately and has gone from being a tourney team to an NIT bubble team in the last 2 weeks.

Also, Oregon State lost at home to Washington State. The Beavs may also be imploding.

If CU plays its game, 4 wins in the next 6 is what the expectation should be. And both Cal and Oregon are very winnable.

This ain't over.

I think 4 of the next 4 should be expected.

This ain't over.

We can win out for sure.

We play some very good teams. 3 of 6 is far more likely.

Really?!? I think @ASU, @Utah, and @Oregon State are about as easy as it gets on the road. We are a different team at home; we'll win at least one of the Stanford/Cal games. I think we'll have a 4-2 finish at least with a very slight possibility of 5-1.

Really?!? I think @ASU, @Utah, and @Oregon State are about as easy as it gets on the road. We are a different team at home; we'll win at least one of the Stanford/Cal games. I think we'll have a 4-2 finish at least with a very slight possibility of 5-1.
I don't trust this team on the road. We have won ONE pac12 road game and been beaten soundly in every other attempt. Expect to lose at least one we shouldn't out of those three unless we learn to shoot on the road.

As to the home games... most likely is a split. Stanford, though struggling, is built to beat us and Cal is just a good team.

I don't trust this team on the road. We have won ONE pac12 road game and been beaten soundly in every other attempt. Expect to lose at least one we shouldn't out of those three unless we learn to shoot on the road.

As to the home games... most likely is a split. Stanford, though struggling, is built to beat us and Cal is just a good team.

Agreed, couldn't have said it better myself. Road victories are never a sure thing and I would be happy with a home split.

To be fair, with the exception of USC, all of the road games have been against the better teams of the conference. We haven't played wazzu, utah, asu, osu on the road that have padded other team's win columns.

To be fair, with the exception of USC, all of the road games have been against the better teams of the conference. We haven't played wazzu, utah, asu, osu on the road that have padded other team's win columns.

This. ASU and Utah are comparative to visiting USC, not Cal or Zona.

True, but we have to prove we can beat the teams on the road that we should, and ASU, Utah, and OSU all fall into that category.

Totally agree that the play on the road needs to improve, but I look at it as the Buffs are 2-1 in "probable road wins" (USC, Air Force, CSU) and 0-4 in "probable road losses" (Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Arizona). We really should be able to take care of business. ASU is the more dangerous of the two games though

Totally agree that the play on the road needs to improve, but I look at it as the Buffs are 2-1 in "probable road wins" (USC, Air Force, CSU) and 0-4 in "probable road losses" (Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Arizona). We really should be able to take care of business. ASU is the more dangerous of the two games though

The more dangerous of the two? So you're counting the Utah game as a W? I wouldn't even count that one as a win, conference road games are a potential minefield in any conference.

The more dangerous of the two? So you're counting the Utah game as a W? I wouldn't even count that one as a win, conference road games are a potential minefield in any conference.

Utah is as close to a 'sure-thing' road win as a conference road game can be. 5-19, 275th RPI. Never going to get more favorable than that, ever. Yes, I have that one marked down as a 'W'. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that, but I like the odds. Some of our shooting, etc. is puzzling on the road, but I'm not sold that there's really any particular issue when it comes to our performances on the road -- this year's team has some limitations and we've been defeated by teams who for the most part are more talented than we are.

Last edited:
Back