1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAC 12 Championship Game Site - Rose Bowl?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by CUFan, Oct 12, 2010.

1. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Rose Bowl scheduled for renovation

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5676673&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

PASADENA, Calif. -- The Pasadena City Council on Monday approved a $152 million renovation plan for the 88-year-old Rose Bowl stadium.
    The council also approved 30-year lease extensions with UCLA and the Tournament of Roses to continue playing at the bowl.
    Construction will run in three phases beginning in January and ending in 2013 to avoid disrupting games.
    The number of luxury seats will be increased from about 550 to 2,500. The site of the annual Rose Bowl game also will get a new scoreboard, safety improvements, more restrooms and more concession stands.
    The city plans to pay for the upgrade with federal stimulus funds, a bond issue, money from the Tournament of Roses and profits from previous games.

2. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Wouldn't bother me, frankly. I'd still prefer Las Vegas, or some kind of rotation, but the Rose Bowl is an iconic building. Having the CCG there would provide some lustre to the game itself, IMO.

3. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

I do not want anyone to get permanent home field advantage like Texas has in the B12. If you put the game in the Rose Bowl, you've just given that to USC and UCLA every time they play in the game.

4. RuffBuff

RuffBuff Club Member Club Member

As if UCLA will be playing in the CCG anytime soon...LOL

5. Buffarino

UCLA and USC both get enough talent that either one could play in the game any given year. It's all coaching.

Just like UT (USC) and aTm (UCLA).

6. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Meh. USC and UCLA have home field in actual Rose Bowl games too. You don't see the Big Ten crying about it.

7. Buffarino

I don't want to go back and repeat things that we found did not work well in the B12. If you do, by all means go for it.

8. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I don't like the Las Vegas idea. Stadium is small and a dump.

Ya we were all saying that about Texas and Oklahoma in 1996 too.

I like the idea of home field advantage to the team with the best record, tiebreaker highest ranking or who won more games against tougher competetion. It woulld really make every game even more meaningful just trying to get that best record to be rewarded home field.

If not that then rotate it between Phoenix, LA, San Fran, Seattle, Denver.

9. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

San Diego still makes the most sense.

10. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Not permanently. I agree put SD in with Phoenix, LA, San fran, Seattle, Denver rotation however.

11. sackman

I don't like NFL stadiums. They are devoid of any character or history whatsoever. I don't like the idea of having the game on the campus of the team with the best record. That just reinforces the whole "home field" advantage thing for the one team that probably needs it the least. I agree that Las Vegas' stadium is inadequate, for now. That leaves the Rose Bowl. I don't see it as a big of an issue as some others do. There may not be a more storied college football stadium in the world. This is the freaking ROSE BOWL. The fact that UCLA plays it's home games there is irrelevant to me. UCLA played in the Colliseum for a long time. I don't view the venue as a home field for UCLA. I view it as the most iconic college football stadium in America. Why wouldn't we want to have the CCG there?

12. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I love the homefield idea as well.

any idea about the basketball tourney?

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Rotation, rotation, rotation.

I doubt we'll see the homefield advantage in the end, so rotation seems like the next best thing to me.

14. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Actually, this would be a stray from repetition. In the Big XII, we threw out old Big 8 traditions in favor of creating new ones in Texas. The Pac using the Rose Bowl would be keeping with tradition. Now if the Pac moved their game to Mile High, well that would be repeating what the Big XII did.

15. CUFan

I prefer home field.

I am scared of pro stadium rotation. PAC 12 teams don't typically travel well, so I am concerned pro stadiums in Denver, Arizona and the NW will not be full (unless there is a local team playing). Therefore, if you had to choose a supposedly neutral, every year site, I think it would need to be the Rose Bowl. Given that many of the PAC 12 players are from CA anyway, and the fact that LA has no pro football, I think you could fill that stadium up every time. Good exposure for the visiting team(s) in California anyway.

16. Buffarino

The B12 CCG is permanently set in Dallas and every time UT and aTm play in it, they have a significant home field advantage. I'd rather not set up that same scenario again in the P12.

In order of preference, here is what i would want:

1. Permanently do the game in Vegas. Upgrade the stadium in return for a long term contract. Going to Vegas the week after Thanksgiving would be awesome. I'd love it.

2. Give the higher ranked team the game at home.

3. Rotate the game between 3-4 venues, including Denver.

I do not want the game permanently in California, or Phoenix, or anywhere else that would make it so one team's fans did not have to travel to attend.

17. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

OU, OSU, Baylor, and TT have a presence in Texas just like CU will have in California. What's not to like about that?

18. sackman

I understand the opposition to the Rose Bowl. I just don't agree with it. This is the Rose Bowl. I don't care if we're playing UCLA in the game (we couldn't be, seeing as we're supposed to be in the South anyway), I'd still want to play there.

With the number of alumni in California and Arizona, plus what would travel from Colorado, we'd get 40,000 or so CU fans into that stadium if we were good enough to play in the CCG. It would be a home field advantage for us unless we're playing Cal or Stanford.

19. Buffarino

40k?

No way do we pull 40k to any away game, outside maybe a BCS game.

20. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Biggest reason I do not like the Rose Bowl: the team that wins the CCG in the Rose Bowl gets to go to......the Rose Bowl! Yahoo!

21. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

I think this is the big issue. People have already said 12-Pac fans don't travel all that well. We expect them to travel twice in one month to the same location? If you think the team is good enough to spend money to go see them in the CCG, you probably think they're good enough to risk waiting to see them in the BCS game, not the CCG.

In the end, I think we want a model where the CCG is an important game that is well-attended. If the smart people determine that there is a better chance of filling the Rose Bowl on a consistent basis (regardless of who is playing) than there would be if you rotated the game or chose a different permanent site, I guess I'm fine with the Rose Bowl.

22. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Solid point. Let's do it at the Cotton Bowl then!!

23. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

What the ****?

24. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I'm for the higher-seeded team hosting the game. Sure it's an advantage for the better team, but they earned that advantage and deserve to be rewarded.

25. CUFan

+1

26. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Denver would not fill a pro stadium even if CU was playing. This argument needs to stop. Yes, economically for the city I'd like it here and it would be easy travel to go watch CU (or any other two teams, more likely) in the game. But for weather and geography/fan turnout reasons it would never work here. Need a better weather location or one with a roof, and need it closer to a center of population for Pac-12 fanbases.

27. sackman

Sure we could. Figure there are nearly that many alumni in SoCal already, maybe more. Plus another 20K in Arizona and 20K in NorCal, plus the 10K or so that would naturally come from Colorado to see the game. Remember, this is a CCG, not just some regular season away game. We got 10K to go to a meaningless regular season game at Cal.

28. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

And you thought you weren't supporting college football enough.

29. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I'm not really fond of the Vegas idea, I guess I just don't love Vegas as much as some of you guys do. Rose bowl seems fine to me. San Diego is also a winner. Maybe a rotation of Rose Bowl, Phoenix and San Diego would work. Denver would also be cool every so often. I can't say Seattle would be a prime destination, but that's just me.

30. Buffarino

Has CU ever gotten 40k to any game outside Folsom/Invesco? I doubt it. I was at the NC Orange Bowl and I don't remember 40k CU fans there. There were a bunch, but not 40k, IIRC.