What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 countdown

69 more days!

Eric Coyle (C), Steve Hakes (OG), and John Wooten (OG) wore #69. I have heard and read more about Wooten so I suspect he is the most accomplished player to wear #69.

69 more days!

Eric Coyle (C), Steve Hakes (OG), and John Wooten (OG) wore #69. I have heard and read more about Wooten so I suspect he is the most accomplished player to wear #69.

Coyle was a beast. A four-year letterman, he was one of those local kids (Longmont) who stuck around and helped rebuild the program.

Ron Scott was a middle guard for the Buffs who lettered in 1965, '66, and '67.
Scott was a Montana boy, coming to Colorado from Billings West high :slayer::five:

67 more days to go!

JOe Romig (OG/LB) had that number retired but another player named Shermain Pruit played at C.

66 more days to go!

http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/foot...55-356.pdf?SPSID=62928&SPID=255&DB_OEM_ID=600

Seven players on that list wore #66.

Phil Irwin OLB
Paul Briggs OT
Brain Daniels OG
Harvey Goodman OG
Paul McClung QB
Bill Mondt OG
Buck Smith FB

Who would be the best one of that bunch?

I'd have to go with Paul Briggs - a three-year letter winner (1942; 1943; and 1946 - took a little time off to serve his country!). :slayer:
Plus, his brother followed him to Boulder - Harold Briggs, also from Grand Junction, lettered in 1946 and '47, but had to take another number (#62) since his brother was still playing! :thumbsup:

PAUL LEONARD BRIGGS

| Visit Guest Book

0009338473-01-1_091326.jpg
Briggs, Paul Leonard 1920 - 2011 Paul Leonard Briggs of Santa Ana, passed away on February 14, 2011 at the age of 90. He was born in Providence, Rhode Island on April 18, 1920 to Harold and Helene Briggs. When he was ten years old, he told his mother he was going to be a football player and football coach, and he achieved these goals. In 1939, he graduated from Grand Junction High School in Colorado where he lettered in football and wrestling, and was selected to the Colorado H.S. State All-Star Football Team. He attended Mesa Jr. College in 1940 where he was selected to the Inter-Mountain J.C. All-Conference Football Team and named Conference Most Outstanding Lineman. At the University of Colorado in Boulder, he was voted United Press All-American at offensive tackle in 1943 and was selected for the Big Six All-Conference Football Teams in 1943, '46 and '47. In 1948, he was selected for the All-West Team in the East vs. West Shrine College All-Star game. He was drafted by the Detroit Lions in 1948 and played offensive tackle and linebacker until he suffered an NFL career-ending knee injury. At 6' 5", 285 pounds, the then coach of the Lions said, "Golly, that fellow is big enough to hunt bears with a switch!" In 1941, Paul enlisted in the NROTC while at the Univ. of Colorado, was commissioned Ensign in Dec. 1943 and ordered to active duty on the Destroyer USS Daly DD519 in the WWII Pacific Theater.

RIP fellow Tiger

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/or...n=paul-leonard-briggs&pid=148745046&fhid=8513

65 more days to go!

Players that wore #65:

Andre Gurode OG
Chris Naeole OG
Kirk Tracy OG
Paul Butero

Who would you choose between Gurode and Naeole?

63 days to go!

Great CU players that wore #63

Junior Ili, OG
Heath Irwin, OG
Dick Knowlton, OG
Bill Kralicek, OG
Tom Kresnak, OG
Darrin Muilenburg, OG
Brant Thurston, OT
Leon White, OG

I am more familar with White since isn't that the one who ended up as Vader in wrestling?

Vader.jpg

63 days to go!

Junior Ili, OG
Heath Irwin, OG
Dick Knowlton, OG
Bill Kralicek, OG
Tom Kresnak, OG
Darrin Muilenburg, OG
Brant Thurston, OT
Leon White, OG

I am more familar with White since isn't that the one who ended up as Vader in wrestling?

Vader.jpg

I think Wally ran afoul of Muilenburg at one point. Didn't he go pro wrestler as well?

63 days to go!

Junior Ili, OG
Heath Irwin, OG
Dick Knowlton, OG
Bill Kralicek, OG
Tom Kresnak, OG
Darrin Muilenburg, OG
Brant Thurston, OT
Leon White, OG

Vader.jpg

Heath Irwin was a First-team All-American (AP) in 1995, as well as first-team All-Big Eight. He lettered in 1993, '94, and '95. He would have lettered in 1992 as well, but he was forced to tear off his red-shirt with five games to go due to injuries along the offensive line. He fell short of 100 plays, and so did not get a letter as a true freshman.

And, oh yeah, his father, Phil, was a linebacker (and the first CU football player on the cover of Sports Illustrated - 1971 v. Penn State), and his uncle Hale was an All-American defensive back for the Buffs before going on to a Hall of Fame golf career.

Nice family! :thumbsup:

I think Wally ran afoul of Muilenburg at one point. Didn't he go pro wrestler as well?

I made a point of steering clear after the incident(s)...that was one scary dude. And no I won't be sharing what happened and Burrito won't either.

62 more days to go!

I will like to note the number 62 as it happened in November 2001. :thumbsup:

1962 was the last time we played Utah and they beat us in Salt Lake City. Time to return the favor!

CU greats who wore #62:

Joe Garten, OG
Marwan Hage, OG/C
Dennis Havig, OG
62 BruceHeath, C
DougPayton, OG

62 more days to go!

I will like to note the number 62 as it happened in November 2001. :thumbsup:

1962 was the last time we played Utah and they beat us in Salt Lake City. Time to return the favor!

CU greats who wore #62:

Joe Garten, OG
Marwan Hage, OG/C
Dennis Havig, OG
62 BruceHeath, C
DougPayton, OG

Pretty easy one here - Joe Garten is one of only six unanimous All-Americans in Colorado history (1990), and was a consensus All-American in 1989. :nod:

That being said Marwan Hage from Montreal was a four-year letter winner (2000-03). I had the chance to sit with him at a Buff lunch back in the day - a very pleasant, well-spoken young man. :thumbsup:

#60s

John Beard, OG
Bill Collins, DT
Matt McChesney, DE
Erik Norgard, C

Let's go with Defensive end Matt McChesney. A four-year letterman, McChesney was honorable mention All-Big 12 in 2004. As a senior, McChesney was honored with the Derek Singleton Award for spirit, dedication, and enthusiasm, the Dave Jones Award for the outstanding defensive player, and was even honored by the local press for "best interview". :nod:

Back