What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 countdown

someone to block linebackers in the run game....what is this? some of kind of sci fi thing on CU football?

maybe a pulling guard on the edge. OMG.

Buffalo Bill Harris. Is he still with the AD?

harris_bill.jpg

I worked with Bill when he was at the Alumni Association. Really good guy.

32 more days to go!

Gridiron greats that wore #32:

Gary Campbell, LB;
Maurice Cantrell, FB;
Eric McCarty, LB;
Noble Milton, RB;
Walter Stanley, WR;
John Tarver, RB;
Roger Williams, QB

32 more days to go!

Gridiron greats that wore #32:

Gary Campbell, LB;
Maurice Cantrell, FB;
Eric McCarty, LB;
Noble Milton, RB;
Walter Stanley, WR;
John Tarver, RB;
Roger Williams, QB

For those fans of a certain age, the memories of "Wal-ter!" "Wal-ter!" Stanley are hard to erase ... http://www.cuatthegame.com/1981/texas-tech/ :why:

But Eric McCarty, a fullback turned linebacker, was one of those in-state stars who signed on with Bill McCartney with what Gary Barnett later described as "belief without evidence" - what Jon Embree is asking for from recruits today.

31 more days to go!

Gridiron greats that wore 31:

Dick Anderson, S;
Jeff Donaldson, SS;
Michael Lewis, SS;
Tim Roberts, S;
Loren Schwemoger, RB;
Emerson Wilson, RB;

I'd go with Lewis here since I saw him play. But will that mean he is the best ever to wear 31?

31 more days to go!

Gridiron greats that wore 31:

Dick Anderson, S;
Jeff Donaldson, SS;
Michael Lewis, SS;
Tim Roberts, S;
Loren Schwemoger, RB;
Emerson Wilson, RB;

I'd go with Lewis here since I saw him play. But will that mean he is the best ever to wear 31?

I believe Dick Anderson is in the college football hall of fame.

30 more days to go! Wow it's getting closer!

Buff gridiron greats that wore 30:

John Bayuk, RB
Wilmer Cooks, RB
Terry Kunz, RB
Chuck Weiss, RB

Hardwood greats who wore 30:

Michael Morandais

CU MBB jersey numbers: http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/mbb/2010-11/73-76_jersey_numbers.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600
1,000 point scorers: http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/mbb/2010-11/70-72_1000_point_scorers.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600
MBB All-Americans: http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/mbb/2010-11/67-69_all_americans.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

Again, the criteria I use to pick a player is based on not only being an All-American but a 1,000 point scorer while in Boulder. There are only 25 1,000 point scorers and just 11 AA's when it comes to MBB at CU.

29 more days to go!

Buff gridiron greats that wore 29:

Roland Gregory, RB;
Pat Murphy, DB;
John Torp, P;
Solomon Wilcots,CB

Torp was a good punter and it seems like my mind can't recall the others.

29 more days to go!

Roland Gregory, RB;
Pat Murphy, DB;
John Torp, P;
Solomon Wilcots,CB

Best commentator Solomon Wilcots

Solomon Wilcots was one of those really good players on some really awful teams in the early 80's.

I wonder how that will have a lasting legacy on Cody Hawkins' career at CU?

Seeing that Cody will not be in the NFL (unlike Wilcots) - not quite sure where you're going here...plus the teams Cody QB'd weren't ANYWHERE near as awful as the early 80s CU teams.

Unfortunately for Solomon, that "really good players that played on really bad teams" followed to his career with the Bungles in the NFL too (except for the '82 SB - don't remember if he was still around for Bungles v. Niners redux inthe early 90s when Krumrie's leg got broken on the first play.)

Seeing that Cody will not be in the NFL (unlike Wilcots) - not quite sure where you're going here...plus the teams Cody QB'd weren't ANYWHERE near as awful as the early 80s CU teams.

Unfortunately for Solomon, that "really good players that played on really bad teams" followed to his career with the Bungles in the NFL too (except for the '82 SB - don't remember if he was still around for Bungles v. Niners redux inthe early 90s when Krumrie's leg got broken on the first play.)

It's about the players who got national and conference honors while at CU. I don't know if Hawkins did get some conference honors but suppose he does, people way down the road will just view him as the coach's son who put up some good numbers on some bad CU teams. I don't know those players from Big Mac's early years at CU because I was too young to remember that time.

It's about the players who got national and conference honors while at CU. I don't know if Hawkins did get some conference honors but suppose he does, people way down the road will just view him as the coach's son who put up some good numbers on some bad CU teams. I don't know those players from Big Mac's early years at CU because I was too young to remember that time.

Roger, got it -

But to back you up, Cody didn't get any national or conference honors while at Dear Old CU, so unfortunately, he will always be remembered as well...y'know.

Back to the countdown!

29 more days to go!

Roland Gregory, RB;
Pat Murphy, DB;
John Torp, P;
Solomon Wilcots,CB

Wilcots was a good player on some bad teams ('83-'86).
Torp though, was a second-team All-American and a first-team All-Big 12 punter in 2005, and was the runner-up for the Ray Guy Award. :thumbsup:

Roger, got it -

But to back you up, Cody didn't get any national or conference honors while at Dear Old CU, so unfortunately, he will always be remembered as well...y'know.

Back to the countdown!

Yes let's get back to the countdown! 28 more days to go!

Estes Banks, RB
Ken Culbertson, K
Larry Hornie, S
Jon Keyworth, RB
Tom Mackenize, K
Odis McKinney, DB
Andy Mitchell, P

Seems like some good kickers/punters there. Is it me or does CU have a nice history of kickers/punters that go decades back even before some of the greatest kickers to step foot on the CU campus were even born?

Yes let's get back to the countdown! 28 more days to go!

Estes Banks, RB
Ken Culbertson, K
Larry Hornie, S
Jon Keyworth, RB
Tom Mackenize, K
Odis McKinney, DB
Andy Mitchell, P

Seems like some good kickers/punters there. Is it me or does CU have a nice history of kickers/punters that go decades back even before some of the greatest kickers to step foot on the CU campus were even born?

Ken C, as I remember him, was a hell of a good guy. I don't really remember his stats. Can anyone fill me in?

Ken C, as I remember him, was a hell of a good guy. I don't really remember his stats. Can anyone fill me in?

Ken Culbertson was the Buffs' kicker from 1987-89.
As part of the 11-1 team which played for the national championship in 1989, Culbertson was voted second team All-Big Eight.
He finished his career 23-41 on field goals and 85-87 on PAT's. His 154 career points were good enough (at the time) for 7th on the CU all-time scoring list. :thumbsup:

:gobuffs:

Ken Culbertson was the Buffs' kicker from 1987-89.
As part of the 11-1 team which played for the national championship in 1989, Culbertson was voted second team All-Big Eight.
He finished his career 23-41 on field goals and 85-87 on PAT's. His 154 career points were good enough (at the time) for 7th on the CU all-time scoring list. :thumbsup:

:gobuffs:

Thanks Montana! Rep.

Saturday will be 27 days and Sunday will be 26 days...I might not be able to do this stuff this weekend. :thumbsup:

He was a classmate of ours at BHS. But you might have hated him, being he was a Casey kid and all.

Ken was a good friend of mine. We kind of lost track of each other after college. I'll always remember him giving me some of his KFC after the OU game in Norman in 1989. The whole team was sitting around after the game, eating KFC right outside the lockerroom.

Ken Culbertson was the all time greatest Buff ever to wear #28. Anybody who says different will have to answer to me.

OBTW - Ken still holds the high jump record at BHS, more than 20 years after he left. The guy was a true athlete.

He was a classmate of ours at BHS. But you might have hated him, being he was a Casey kid and all.

Ken was a good friend of mine. We kind of lost track of each other after college. I'll always remember him giving me some of his KFC after the OU game in Norman in 1989. The whole team was sitting around after the game, eating KFC right outside the lockerroom.

Ken Culbertson was the all time greatest Buff ever to wear #28. Anybody who says different will have to answer to me.

OBTW - Ken still holds the high jump record at BHS, more than 20 years after he left. The guy was a true athlete.

Jon Keyworth gets my vote. Watched him as a Buff and later in the NFL.

Back