What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 expansion is now inevitable

Not surprised at the comments but very surprised he made them publicly this early in the "supposed" process. Seems like he definitely has feelers out there or pressure from his conference members.

cuing the amateur grammar nazi's to comment on Scott's use of "very unique"

cueing...you're welcome.
apologies and thanks. I let my personal assistant take off early to get a wax and she didn't proof read my posts as she usually does.

I typed "cueing" at first, and the built in spell check for chrome insisted the quoted spelling was the correct one. I did not take the next step and check a verified source.

Edit: @leftybuff , **** off, M-W says either is correct!

When expansion happened in 2011, I never thought UU would fit in the Pac, but that move has allowed UU to increase their brand, invest in their program and compete at a P5 level.

I expect the Pac to take a similar approach next time: identify schools with the right geographic, academic and demographic commitments (if not current profiles) and work with them to improve themselves to Pac level. At least with one or two schools. I suspect at the end of the day if Texas, Kansas or Okie are interested, they will get strong consideration.

apologies and thanks. I let my personal assistant take off early to get a wax and she didn't proof read my posts as she usually does.

I typed "cueing" at first, and the built in spell check for chrome insisted the quoted spelling was the correct one. I did not take the next step and check a verified source.
Just joking, of course, you can't call out the grammar nazi's and leave low-hanging fruit like that....:D

Just joking, of course, you can't call out the grammar nazi's and leave low-hanging fruit like that....:D

0. I knew you were joking
1. read my edit. I was right.
2. is spelling generally considered part of grammar? I typically don't think of it that way, but the dictionary definition leaves room for interpretation.

I don't see the point of expanding unless they expand with programs in the central time zone. That may seem like a given but I've seen plenty of the New Mexico, Boise, UNLV and SDSU talk as 4 potential additions. ****. That. ****. Any expansion MUST include a significant presence in the middle part of the country.

Houston, OU, OSU and KU would be aight

Going to be almost all ratings based IMO and the PAC will have a lot to sell when 2024 comes around IMO.

I don't see the point of expanding unless they expand with programs in the central time zone. That may seem like a given but I've seen plenty of the New Mexico, Boise, UNLV and SDSU talk as 4 potential additions. ****. That. ****. Any expansion MUST include a significant presence in the middle part of the country.

Houston, OU, OSU and KU would be aight
I asked this question before and none of the responses answered the question. In what way do you believe the current Pac 12 members will benefit by expansion into the CTZ? I've given this a bit of thought, and it seems that if the Pac expands into the CTZ, that game scheduling will either be (a) during Pac time slots, which fails to expand the TV viewership or (b) during east/central time slots, which seems like it will hurt attendance and viewership at the majority of Pac schools.

I don't see any benefit to option (a) and (b) doesn't seem like something that either the PTZ or the Arizona schools (10/12 of current membership) would favor or vote for. Currently the top kickoff time for CTZ hosted games is 12PM CT. That would be 10AM for most of the current Pac members -- is the perceived benefit of gaining east coast viewers really worth that crappy time slot to Oregon or USC?

I'm sure I'm missing a point that's obvious to everyone else, so thanks in advance if someone walks me through it in a logical manner.

I asked this question before and none of the responses answered the question. In what way do you believe the current Pac 12 members will benefit by expansion into the CTZ? I've given this a bit of thought, and it seems that if the Pac expands into the CTZ, that game scheduling will either be (a) during Pac time slots, which fails to expand the TV viewership or (b) during east/central time slots, which seems like it will hurt attendance and viewership at the majority of Pac schools.

I don't see any benefit to option (a) and (b) doesn't seem like something that either the PTZ or the Arizona schools (10/12 of current membership) would favor or vote for. Currently the top kickoff time for CTZ hosted games is 12PM CT. That would be 10AM for most of the current Pac members -- is the perceived benefit of gaining east coast viewers really worth that crappy time slot to Oregon or USC?

I'm sure I'm missing a point that's obvious to everyone else, so thanks in advance if someone walks me through it in a logical manner.
USC and Oregon are in the worst time slot in the country. I mention the CTZ because I believe it's the only way the Pac 12 (16) is going to get the national eyeballs on a consistent basis. I absolutely believe that an OU/USC game played in Norman at 6pm CT is far better than USC/New Mexico being played at 8pm CT. If teams from the CTZ are involved, I think the networks will have to adjust the scheduling to suite those fan bases.

USC and Oregon are in the worst time slot in the country. I mention the CTZ because I believe it's the only way the Pac 12 (16) is going to get the national eyeballs on a consistent basis. I absolutely believe that an OU/USC game played in Norman at 6pm CT is far better than USC/New Mexico being played at 8pm CT. If teams from the CTZ are involved, I think the networks will have to adjust the scheduling to suite those fan bases.
Isn't TV driving scheduling already? Nothing stops PAC schools from kicking off at 4 pm pacific time. The thing is, only schools in the pacific zone can play in the 10 pm eastern time slot. Adding central zone teams won't change that.

There are no 4 schools that would increase our tv rights enough that the per school distribution goes up, unless you include texas, and texas is not worth the hassle. Houston is a commuter school with no fans. Osu gives us the oh so valuable stillwater and tulsa markets. Kansas gets us, maybe, the kansas city market. New mexico or unlv, or san diego state? No tv market that the pac 12 doesnt already own. And it bears repeating at texas Is the devil and oklahoma is their towel boy. No. but hey maybe we can "poach" utep for the booming el paso market. Im sure the networks would drool over that. Anything to get to the magic number of 16.

There is absolutely no reason to expand to 16 teams just because the sec and/or big "10" is going that way. any expansion scenario to 16 means less exposure in california, more road games in places like norman, stillwater, lawrence, or wherever, and fewer non conference game slots for air force or michigan or, say lsu, or any other interesting matchup the ad might want to line up.

There are no 4 schools that would increase our tv rights enough that the per school distribution goes up, unless you include texas, and texas is not worth the hassle. Houston is a commuter school with no fans. Osu gives us the oh so valuable stillwater and tulsa markets. Kansas gets us, maybe, the kansas city market. New mexico or unlv, or san diego state? No tv market that the pac 12 doesnt already own. And it bears repeating at texas Is the devil and oklahoma is their towel boy. No. but hey maybe we can "poach" utep for the booming el paso market. Im sure the networks would drool over that. Anything to get to the magic number of 16.

There is absolutely no reason to expand to 16 teams just because the sec and/or big "10" is going that way. any expansion scenario to 16 means less exposure in california, more road games in places like norman, stillwater, lawrence, or wherever, and fewer non conference game slots for air force or michigan or, say lsu, or any other interesting matchup the ad might want to line up.

How much would 2 semi-final games as part of the Pac-12 championship be worth? Plus the additional regular season game volume. Add in whatever MBB is worth. If it brought enough PACN subs, I can see how the math would work out.

Here we go again.

Expansion is not viable without UT.

UT is not joining the Pac without major attitude and entitlement changes. (That's not my opinion, it was all but confirmed in the book by the A&M AD.)

Unless you guys think that suddenly UT is going to wake up and get down on their knees begging Larry Scott to take them in, this is yet another useless discussion.

Right. The Pac-12 can just stay at 12 while every other conference expands to 16.

No effect on money, exposure, facilities, coaches pay, CFB playoff bids, MBB/WBB tourney bids, VB tourney bids, etc. Nope, just stay at twelve and everything is somehow going to be great.

Huh?

Back