1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pac-12 in the Post-Season

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Washington kicked things off on Tuesday night in the NIT with a 107-102 win over Long Beach State.

That's the only Pac-12 program playing outside the NCAAT.

Thursday games (NCAAT):

(8) Colorado vs (9) Connecticut, 11:30 on TNT
    (14) Fresno State vs (3) Utah, 5:30 on TruTV
    (11) Wichita State vs (6) Arizona, 7:20 on TNT
    (9) Providence vs (8) USC, 7:50 on TBS

2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Obviously no defense played last night in Seattle.

3. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

Sweet. Maybe cheap and broke ass won't have to pony up for a sports package on DISH.

4. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

You know it's tourney time when you start the annual quest to find TruTV on your channel lineup.

5. TDforTD

TDforTD Banned BANNED Club Member

Find myself cheering for all things pac12 in the postseason.

Except for zona. Go Wichita St.

unionbuff and Clean Undies like this.
  6. whatthebuff

whatthebuff Club Member Club Member

Wow, it's been 20 years since a Pac 12 team won the tournament, and 8 years since there's been a team to the Final 4.

A couple of potential matchups I'm looking forward to...Oklahoma/Oregon and Utah/Seton Hall. I actually think Zona could be a sleeper final 4 pick, but no way am I picking them.

7. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

I think Zona loses to the Shockers

8. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

I could see the Pac having a tough go of it overall despite generous seeding for a handful of squads. We'll see. Right off the bat, three of us are stuck as 7-8 seeds which makes surviving the first weekend a major challenge. Arizona has a tough go of it with Wichita and Miami. Seton Hall is as hot as anyone. Oregon has the most favorable bracket of any 1 seed, but they'd bette be damn careful with St. Joes. Altman doesn't have a great track record in the dance. I think Cal is a seed too high and Maryland has underachieved, but the Terps are capable of making the Final Four.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  9. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

Id be very surprised if anyone except Oregon makes it to the Elite 8.

bombay likes this.
  10. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

The prospect of an Oregon-Baylor matchup is repulsive.

Bufffan68 and HuskerHater like this.
  11. CVilleBuff

If teams aren't careful, it could be only Oregon left by the Sweet 16. I don't think that will happen, but I'm honestly not extremely high on Utah...and Zona and Cal will have their hands full. I think USC and OSU get bounced out in the first round.

12. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

I have Utah losing to Zags in round of 32; USC and OSU losing in first round. Cal and Zona are wild cards to me...I honestly think that Cal is one of the most talented teams in the country. I hesitate to go against sheer talent or great coaches, so I actually have Cal going far. ... ...but I also have CU beating KU, because **** KU

13. CVilleBuff

Cal is one of the most talented, no doubt. However, they're likely meeting one of the few teams that's more talented: Maryland. Cal certainly looked encouraging down the stretch, but I am still a bit weary of how young they are. As we all know, this tournament is a different beast in many ways

Eggon likes this.
  14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It's been a strange season. KU is an overall #1 despite it possibly being Self's least talented squad. Everywhere you look at the top seeds and the teams most often cited as the biggest threats to win the Dance, you pretty much see a team led by a prominent senior rather than by underclassmen destined for the NBA Lottery & 1st round. Is March going to be when some of these teams with spectacular talent like Cal clicks and wins the whole thing? It's very possible. When they're right, I don't know if anyone can beat that team. When they blew CU out in Berkeley I don't think any team in the nation could have beaten them that night.

My suspicion is that a team like Cal is going to catch fire and steal this thing. Teams with top NBA prospects usually win this tournament.

P.S. This also makes other Pac-12 teams very dangerous since they have freshmen who can absolutely catch fire. Oregon's Dorsey. Arizona's Trier. Oregon State's Thompson. USC's Boatwright. CU's the one Pac-12 squad that is built more like the KU's with non-lottery veteran reliance.

15. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

Wichita is 9th in Kenpom. Arizona got a brutal draw. The entire south is brutal, and for some reason, has 3 Pac teams. The top of the Carolina bracket may be better, but Wichita is tremendous as a play in 11, and Hawaii and South Dakota St aren't slouches. I have Wichita in the elite 8. I'll miss watching Van Vleet and Baker play college basketball.

16. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Read an article saying the middle of the pac 12 and big 12 are more than likely overrated but they are still strong at the top. I assume that means Oregon Utah cal and Arizona are ranked fine. I think the pac 12 will do what they have done the last couple years. Most teams win first round and they get a decent amount into the sweet 16 but nothing much after that.

17. whatthebuff

whatthebuff Club Member Club Member

Our bracket is ridiculous. Honestly I could see anyone 1-11 making the sweet 16 and anyone 1-6 making the final 4.

18. CVilleBuff

Ding ding. I was nice enough to say "I don't think that will happen" so I wouldn't get tarred and feathered.

sockdolager likes this.
  19. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Pretty much an embarrassment at this point. I'm not sure USC, OSU, or CU belonged in the tourney. There will be ramifications next year.

20. aghcsm

aghcsm Well-Known Member

Any chance St Joseph kicks out Oregon? You are looking like the master prognosticator...

21. Clean Undies

Meh. The 8-9 game is a 50-50 proposition. CU made a game of it down to the final minute. 32 teams don't make it past the first round. The outcome was sad, but CU belonged.

The key to getting a ticket next year comes down to scheduling and winning quality OOC games on top of holding home court and picking up a few W's on roadies.

aghcsm likes this.
  22. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

OMG can this fanbase not complain about everything??

Ruckus and Goose like this.
  23. aghcsm

aghcsm Well-Known Member

When is next year's BB schedule announced?

24. Clean Undies

I'm not sure.
    The 2015-2016 MBB season tickets went on sale May 8th last year. One of the threads indicated the women's schedule finalized in mid July. Seems like filling in those last few slots can drag on well past the season tickets or sold.

25. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Huh? This makes no sense. Osu was missing a key player, cu had a lead most of the the game, and USC had to **** up epiclly to lose. Your statement makes no sense

26. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

There are examples all over the brackets of teams getting bounced that should not have lost. The Pac has had a rough tourney but next year will be judged on the games played. I hope that the Pac performs well in the non conference next year and that CU finishes in the top 4. That will make the decision for the Tourney Committee easy when it comes to CU next year. I think CU will battle it out for a conf title next year.

27. CVilleBuff

Wish we'd get a Pac-12 vs _______ challenge going. It would be a great way to prove ourselves. Once again, though, we're seemingly the odd man out while the ACC/B1G and SEC/BigXII goes on. I don't care who it's against, find a decent conference and get it going. CU, in particular, would benefit from being locked into one of these and drawing a decent opponent to Boulder.

hokiehead likes this.
  28. Birch1

Birch1 Active Member

29. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

I'd love this. the issue is, who's left?

I think the Pac should purse such a deal with both the WCC and the American where only each of their top 6 from the year before participate. Yes, it's picking up leftovers, but it's going one up over the other four. The only other real option is the all-Catholic Big East -- hard to imagine the Pac going there.

30. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

Pac 12 schedule came out early June last year. The non-conf games took until late July to get published IIRC.