What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

That is where I disagree, I believe Scott is too prideful to fix this.
He took the proposal from DirecTV to the Pac 12 Presidents and they voted not to move forward with the agreement.

You can argue he spun it a certain way based on his opinion, but ultimately, the university presidents felt it was better to fight for a better offer down the road than except the economic impact of accepting what was offered.

Comcast does NOT offer the HD channel in the Northeast. I call them every week and beg them to offer it....
I have Comcast at a remote location but not at home (I have Directv at home). But I am able to stream the PAC-12 network with my Comcast credentials onto my local notebook and then I connect my notebook to my TV. There are several streams online that are available that I don't think I can get from by Comcast box directly.

I don't know if this is the case in the NE but it may be worth looking into.

He took the proposal from DirecTV to the Pac 12 Presidents and they voted not to move forward with the agreement.

You can argue he spun it a certain way based on his opinion, but ultimately, the university presidents felt it was better to fight for a better offer down the road than except the economic impact of accepting what was offered.

They would give up too much to the little distributors that had been cobbled together if they pricing was reduced to the point that DTV would have received. If Scott had landed DTV then picked up the smaller guys he could have built in different economic models based on volume, but he did it backwards contractually guaranteeing the big boy pricing to the little boys.

The full scope of how badly the Pac-12 handled this was revealed when AT&T bought DTV. The Pac-12 thought they would get DTV to capitulate because the P12 already had distribution through the AT&T platform. When it came down to it, the deal offered by the new AT&T/DTV to the Pac-12 was worse for the Pac-12 than what DTV had originally offered. Yes, fight for better offer down the road, but there will be 10 years of lost eyeballs on the biggest video distributor of them all. The SEC, Big 16, and ACC are all laughing at the Pac-12 while they roll around in the massively larger piles of cash that they earn from their TV contracts.

They would give up too much to the little distributors that had been cobbled together if they pricing was reduced to the point that DTV would have received. If Scott had landed DTV then picked up the smaller guys he could have built in different economic models based on volume, but he did it backwards contractually guaranteeing the big boy pricing to the little boys.

The full scope of how badly the Pac-12 handled this was revealed when AT&T bought DTV. The Pac-12 thought they would get DTV to capitulate because the P12 already had distribution through the AT&T platform. When it came down to it, the deal offered by the new AT&T/DTV to the Pac-12 was worse for the Pac-12 than what DTV had originally offered. Yes, fight for better offer down the road, but there will be 10 years of lost eyeballs on the biggest video distributor of them all. The SEC, Big 16, and ACC are all laughing at the Pac-12 while they roll around in the massively larger piles of cash that they earn from their TV contracts.
DTV was low balling the Pac 12 and Larry thought the pressure from consumers once carraige was established with other players would be too much for DTV and they would capitulate. Unfortunately, the apathetic Pac 12 fan base never delivered enough pressure as Larry was counting on.

It didn't work out that way, so it is easy to say it was not handled correctly with hindsight being 20/20.

DTV was low balling the Pac 12 and Larry thought the pressure from consumers once carraige was established with other players would be too much for DTV and they would capitulate. Unfortunately, the apathetic Pac 12 fan base never delivered enough pressure as Larry was counting on.

It didn't work out that way, so it is easy to say it was not handled correctly with hindsight being 20/20.

Apathetic fan base is just the start. Bending over at the beginning to get comcast and dish to take the network has hamstrung all progress. Late kickoffs which eliminate most viewers - except for China and Australia!! Only putting dogsh*t matchups on the network. Not having a partner to help push the network.

Luckily, based on the Pac's crap-tastic business acumen, when the Buffs truly get back, we will be able to see them on real channels. As a result, we will no longer care about the regional cable access network.

---------------------------------------------
$273.13
Being able to watch steal all the CU games in HD w/o any type of contract plus every TV Show and Movie for free = priceless.

Oh - and it will support 4k video...
You're welcome.
FIFY

Only putting dogsh*t matchups on the network.

CU at Oregon
CU at USC
ASU at CU
*****CU at Stanford

Clearly ESPN and Fox think that CU is a dogsh*t matchup no matter who the Buffs are playing.

*****This past weekend saw only two Pac-12 games getting national distribution on ESPN/FS1 and the three remaining games were on the Pac-12 Network where you have to have some crappy cable company or live in China to see.

No, DTV was not low balling the Pac-12. DTV was/is willing to pay the Pac-12 the fair value for what they offer. To your point, the Pac-12 has a generally apathetic fan base, but this is not the cause of the P12N not being available on DTV rather it is the reason DTV won't pay above market for the P12 network. The Pac-12 content is a niche offering and they have to sell at niche pricing in a mass market.

The LA Dodgers sold their TV rights to Comcast, which in turn held the rights to resell to DTV and other cable companies. The end result was that hardly anybody in the Los Angeles television market was seen the Dodgers in the regular season these past three years because DTV and other cable companies won't overpay for a product that doesn't bring in enough profit to justify the pricing demands of the content provider. Once Charter announced the purchase of Comcast then Charter picked up distribution and more people got to see the Dodgers, but DTV still won't make a poor economic deal. The bottom line is that DTV is the BIG DOG in television distribution and they get to set market prices, not niche content providers.

I want the P12 Network on DTV. But I'm not going to blame DTV for being smart and requiring content providers to add enough marginal profit to make sense as well making sure that they don't make a deal with a niche content provider that gives leverage to bigger content providers for better pricing. Larry Scott and the Pac-12 overplayed their hand and lost when DTV called their bet.

No, DTV was not low balling the Pac-12. DTV was/is willing to pay the Pac-12 the fair value for what they offer. To your point, the Pac-12 has a generally apathetic fan base, but this is not the cause of the P12N not being available on DTV rather it is the reason DTV won't pay above market for the P12 network. The Pac-12 content is a niche offering and they have to sell at niche pricing in a mass market.

The LA Dodgers sold their TV rights to Comcast, which in turn held the rights to resell to DTV and other cable companies. The end result was that hardly anybody in the Los Angeles television market was seen the Dodgers in the regular season these past three years because DTV and other cable companies won't overpay for a product that doesn't bring in enough profit to justify the pricing demands of the content provider. Once Charter announced the purchase of Comcast then Charter picked up distribution and more people got to see the Dodgers, but DTV still won't make a poor economic deal. The bottom line is that DTV is the BIG DOG in television distribution and they get to set market prices, not niche content providers.

I want the P12 Network on DTV. But I'm not going to blame DTV for being smart and requiring content providers to add enough marginal profit to make sense as well making sure that they don't make a deal with a niche content provider that gives leverage to bigger content providers for better pricing. Larry Scott and the Pac-12 overplayed their hand and lost when DTV called their bet.
We aren't going to agree on this one - I read your position as "the Pac 12 simply should have accepted the same money to be on more distributors just cause, rather than try to get more money as a part of the process". So that being said, I will leave you with this (reference to one of our previous discussions):

You have the manners of a goat and you smell like a dung-heap. And you've no knowledge whatsoever of your potential. Now, get out!

There are a lot of reasons the DTV - P12 negotiations didn't work out, but one of the most important is that there was a personality clash between the negotiating teams (read a lot of Wilner's stuff for both the evidence and rumors that substantiate this).

When AT&T bought out DTV and the talks renewed, there was hope - but it seemed that people in the know predicated that hope on the thought that there would be a different team negotiating on the DTV side of the table. Which didn't happen - it turned out to be the same teams on both sides of the table. (When word that the negotiating teams were the same got out was when Wilner correctly predicted that the talks were going to go nowhere).

It's cute to think big business negotiations involving hundreds of millions of dollars are based entirely on logic and facts, but that's not how the real world works. In the real world, personality drives as much of the deal as the economics of the deal - and a bad personality clash can quickly derail an otherwise good deal.

We're at the point where there is a lot of bad blood between the parties, the only way a deal will be reached is if one side completely capitulates because their boss (or the $$$$) demanded that a deal, any deal, get done or if we get a reset and a whole different set of actors negotiating on at least one side.

I didn't even know SD still existed. So glad my Comcast Pac 12 is HD.

SD exists for one reason: so that your cable or satellite provider has an excuse to up-charge you for HD. If there was only HD, and no SD content at all, people wouldn't be willing to pay "extra" for HD. It's like the resort charge at a hotel. Not part of the advertised base room rate, but you get stuck for it anyway. "HD Service" isn't part of my DirecTV base programming charge, but I have to pay the $10 monthly charge or they'll downgrade me to the SD-only channels.

Also DirecTV and Pac-12 Network are not mutually exclusive. I have both, with the Pac-12 coming via Sling. Of course I end up double-paying for most channels on Sling that I already pay for on DirecTV, but it probably the cheapest option to get Pac-12 without actually cutting the cord with DirecTV, which is superior to Dish or Comcast for other programming requirements.

HOLD ON..... Am I missing something here??? Did DIRECTV announce they are gonna get Pac-12 Network???? I have Comcast but they don't carry the 6 channels.... so I lose 1 CU game a year... AND Comcast doesn't carry Pac-12 in HD!!!! I would love to get DIRECTV back if they pick up PAC-12 in HD.... anyone have actual proof that DirectV is going to offer it???

Sling offers it in HD. I think you get all six channels too. In HD. DTV is dead.

Comcast does NOT offer the HD channel in the Northeast. I call them every week and beg them to offer it....

Hello nummy? Order SlingTv and quit being a butt.

The assholes in this thread who continue to stick with DTV and simultaneously blame Larry Scott for it, instead of going to the other options that offer P12N are laughable. Your loyalty is clearly not to conference or school based on your actions.

The assholes in this thread who continue to stick with DTV and simultaneously blame Larry Scott for it, instead of going to the other options that offer P12N are laughable. Your loyalty is clearly not to conference or school based on your actions.

this

I have been approached many times by people trying to sell me DTV, and the offers aren't to bad. Each time I clearly tell them that I won't even listen unless I can get all my CU games, until then they are useless to me.

When I left Dish and took the package deal from my local cable company (TDS) I let them know that I wouldn't have come if they didn't offer PAC12 both national and Mountain

Truth is if it wasn't for Buffs games I would probably cut the cord.

They essentially get called out by DTV and then get mad at Larry Scott because DTV is right.

I miss DTV and would likely go back IF they get the Pac 12 network. I do not like Dish, but it's OK for now.

Based on what was just posted about the last two rounds of negotiations, the next time the Pac 12 needs to come to the table with a brand new team and politely but firmly ask DTV/AT&T to do the same. Fresh blood can do wonders for these types of situations.

They essentially get called out by DTV and then get mad at Larry Scott because DTV is right.

Right about what? Low balling us compared to SEC and B1G prices?

Lets take a deal that marginally increases our revenue but forces us to renegotiate our other higher priced deals for a lower price? Thats smart business right there.

Later... We (ATT) want a deal that makes us the primary cable TV provider for all 12 campuses on top of the nickel were offering you. Another smart deal, unanimously rejected by all 12 Presidents.

Only thing DTV has over the others is Sunday Ticket, if that doesn't matter to you no reason not to dump them.

Given the way streaming is going with Vue and Sling the NFL likely knows its close to being at a point where it can go direct. Contract runs out in 2022 I believe.

Last edited:
I feel like Sackman re: conference realignment, only I'm better looking...

This argument is not about Buff fans, or fans of any other Pac 12 school. If you are a diehard Buffs fan, and you don't get the games, that's on you. This is about getting distribution across the nation. It is also about being made available to general sports fans.

My family owns and operates a sports bar, as a result, most of its business is predicated on having the most popular sporting events on TV. Guess what, that means the bar has to have DTV because we can show all of the NFL games, all of the NHL games, all of the MLB games, and 99% of the college football games. Unless DTV gives up Sunday Ticket, essentially all bars and restaurants will remain subscribers of DTV.

As for any cable company east of the Mississippi, why would they carry a regional sports channel that is out of market? Especially when every marquee matchup in the Pac is already on national affiliates.

Not that hard to understand.

Right about what? Low balling us compared to SEC and B1G prices?

Lets take a deal that marginally increases our revenue but forces us to renegotiate our other higher priced deals for a lower price? Thats smart business right there.

Later... We (ATT) want a deal that makes us the primary cable TV provider for all 12 campuses on top of the nickel were offering you. Another smart deal, unanimously rejected by all 12 Presidents.
Right that Pac-12 fans don't care enough and/or are in NFL markets where sunday ticket is more important so they won't cancel service. The deal the Pac-12 asked for is already half of what the SEC/Big-10 charges so it's not like they were expecting some crazy amount from DTV.

This argument is not about Buff fans, or fans of any other Pac 12 school. If you are a diehard Buffs fan, and you don't get the games, that's on you. This is about getting distribution across the nation. It is also about being made available to general sports fans.

My family owns and operates a sports bar, as a result, most of its business is predicated on having the most popular sporting events on TV. Guess what, that means the bar has to have DTV because we can show all of the NFL games, all of the NHL games, all of the MLB games, and 99% of the college football games. Unless DTV gives up Sunday Ticket, essentially all bars and restaurants will remain subscribers of DTV.

As for any cable company east of the Mississippi, why would they carry a regional sports channel that is out of market? Especially when every marquee matchup in the Pac is already on national affiliates.

The bolded is a good point which is only facilitated by the existence of a national duopoly of DTV and Dish. That duopoly has cracks in the facade for two reasons; first, cheaper broadband alternatives are appearing that are leading to cancelations of their high priced model (Sling & Vue). Second, neither is signing up new younger subscribers at all which are sticking with Amazon, Netflix, and Youtube. (Advertisers are now paying Youtubers six figures for product placements in order to reach young viewers http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-kim-kardashian-logan-paul-social-media-influencers/). That trend eats into the networks that pay big bucks to have premium sporting events because they need ad dollars to pay the bill.

There is a bar in Longmont called The Pumphouse that is a DTV subscriber that shows everything you described above. They now also show all the Pac12 channels. So a work around does exist.

I'll second this. I was in NH during the USC game and we went into Wild Wings to watch the game. No bueno because they have DTV. So we watched it streamed on my phone.

Right that Pac-12 fans don't care enough and/or are in NFL markets where sunday ticket is more important so they won't cancel service. The deal the Pac-12 asked for is already half of what the SEC/Big-10 charges so it's not like they were expecting some crazy amount from DTV.

So we agree its not a great deal? I would assume that DTV has a cluster map of some kind that shows their density of subscribers in the Pac12 footprint.

Here is the ATT Cable TV states
map.png

ATT Fiber Optic Service States....
map.png

Which is misleading because they in reality are a small player.
OG-AB340_ATT_G_20140501120605.jpg

Time Warner, on the right, sold its cable division to Charter after the merger with Comcast described above was killed by regulators.

Back