What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Network on Sling TV

Why do you advise against the Roku 2? I got that one because it came free under their promotion. I don't have any experience with any other streaming device, so am not sure how they all compare against each other. But the box that I was sent works great. No issues at all with the stream. I have it hard-wired via Ethernet cable into my modem (speed tests average around 90 mbs download). I haven't tried it in Wi-Fi mode yet. Also I pretty much only use it for Pac 12 stuff on a secondary tv set. My primary set up is still DirecTV. I'm happy with the Roku 2 in terms of what I need it for.
There's nothing really wrong with the 2, but the processor in the 3 is a huge step up from the 2. So it's just a little bit faster doing pretty much everything.

It's one of those things where as long as you don't know what you're missing, you are happy with what you have.

I've never had the 2, but when I go to my sister's and use their 2 it drives me batty. BIL was perfectly happy with the 2, until they spent a week with us - then he went and got a 3 (and a tablo).

Time to replace my older Apple TV (not the new design). Would the Fire TV or Roku sticks work or is it better to get the set top box? My Windows 10 PC doesn't seem up to the task sometimes.

I like Fire product over Roku 3. I went with Sony Vue over Sling. Vue's Roku app is not as easy to use as the Fire app. Have an older AppleTV that I dont use.

I'd get one portable device like a FireStick. Took it to a hotel this weekend and watched some stuff over their wifi.

I like Fire product over Roku 3. I went with Sony Vue over Sling. Vue's Roku app is not as easy to use as the Fire app. Have an older AppleTV that I dont use.

I'd get one portable device like a FireStick. Took it to a hotel this weekend and watched some stuff over their wifi.
Vue vs Sling

Sling has Pac 12 network. Vue does not.

/discussion.

Vue vs Sling

/discussion.

Thats why I have Kodi and Phoenix TV. When I signed up for Vue neither of them or Sling had P12N. Vue just had more of the channels I wanted too. For me it was about replacing DTV with something else.

Thats why I have Kodi and Phoenix TV. When I signed up for Vue neither of them or Sling had P12N. Vue just had more of the channels I wanted too. For me it was about replacing DTV with something else.
So you don't pay for P12N, but still watch it. (y)

Vue vs Sling

/discussion.

The SEC Network is also on the same sports package as well. The less money I give to the Nubs (they still get everyone's ESPN and FOX money), the better. Screw the Big Ten.

your doing good then. My Kodi/Phoenix either **** the bed or something..It was really jumpy with lots of buffering last season, watched movies, etc...this season Pac12 will not even load an image, I can hear it but no pic. Movies you get about half way through it then it quits. I love this sling Tv, I run it through my phone and or laptop via HDMI to my tv. Great picture and no buffering.

Strange that Pac-12 doesn't have an app for the newer AppleTV. That would seem automatic to me .

your doing good then. My Kodi/Phoenix either **** the bed or something..It was really jumpy with lots of buffering last season, watched movies, etc...this season Pac12 will not even load an image, I can hear it but no pic. Movies you get about half way through it then it quits. I love this sling Tv, I run it through my phone and or laptop via HDMI to my tv. Great picture and no buffering.

I had to restore my fire stick to factory defaults and then reinstall Kodi and Phoenix. Updating to the current version might also help. Is it wired or wifi? My firestick is only 8 feet from the wifi. The further away it is the crappier the experience.

Could be your network. When the fiber got turned on here and I prepared to jump I replaced my wifi router and my switches to 1000 base (gigabit) hardware. Most were 100 base including qwest wifi modem. But when the fastest you get from them was only 12mbs who gives a **** about the local network.

I had to restore my fire stick to factory defaults and then reinstall Kodi and Phoenix. Updating to the current version might also help. Is it wired or wifi? My firestick is only 8 feet from the wifi. The further away it is the crappier the experience.

Could be your network. When the fiber got turned on here and I prepared to jump I replaced my wifi router and my switches to 1000 base (gigabit) hardware. Most were 100 base including qwest wifi modem. But when the fastest you get from them was only 12mbs who gives a **** about the local network.
Thanks Miami - It is actually wired directly to router, I thought clearing the cache would help? It didn't, I reset to factory then did the update you spoke of - No luck.. Oh well, I only paid like $35 for the little box and did watch a couple games and about 10 or so movies, so I feel I got my money out of it. Other then paying $25 a month for Sling it has been great. No buffering and 1080p quality. I can also watch in the car or at the store shopping with wife. All the replays and other movies and tv shows is a bonus. As soon as the season is over I might cancel?

Thanks Miami - It is actually wired directly to router, I thought clearing the cache would help? It didn't, I reset to factory then did the update you spoke of - No luck.. Oh well, I only paid like $35 for the little box and did watch a couple games and about 10 or so movies, so I feel I got my money out of it. Other then paying $25 a month for Sling it has been great. No buffering and 1080p quality. I can also watch in the car or at the store shopping with wife. All the replays and other movies and tv shows is a bonus. As soon as the season is over I might cancel?

Strange.

Vue has been pretty solid as well. Down the road I will also probably cancel and then maybe give Sling a try instead. Most of what we watch now a days comes from Amazon and Netflix. Nice to have month to month that you cancel.

Strange that Pac-12 doesn't have an app for the newer AppleTV. That would seem automatic to me .
You would have to think that one is in the works since they already have one for iOS. Development for the two platforms is similar. Doesn't concern me at all, though, since I have Sling and Pac-12 on Sling has tons of on demand Pac-12 content and includes all six sub-networks. Football in 60 is so great. I can go back and watch the Pac-12 games I didn't have time to watch on Saturday.

Does anyone know if you can AirPlay from the Pac-12 iOS app to the Apple TV? Most iOS video apps support this. I don't know since the Pac-12 Now app doesn't support logging in with Sling credentials (yet?).

Edit: I just played around with the app on my iPhone and discovered it does allow you to watch short videos like highlights and game previews without logging in and you can AirPlay them to an Apple TV so I'm sure you could do the same with live content.

Last edited:
Quick question and probably a dumb at it. I think I might look at the Sling TV once the football or basketball season is over. I have an Xbox one, which carries Sling. I am wondering if I want to hook up multiple tvs, if I need to purchase another Xbox one? What is the next cheapest route?

Quick question and probably a dumb at it. I think I might look at the Sling TV once the football or basketball season is over. I have an Xbox one, which carries Sling. I am wondering if I want to hook up multiple tvs, if I need to purchase another Xbox one? What is the next cheapest route?
Here is a full list of devices that currently support Sling.
https://www.sling.com/devices#!

If you're an Apple guy, I highly recommend an Apple TV. Sling will give you a discounted one for $89 (regularly $149) if you pre-pay for 3 months of Sling service.
(Actually, even if you're not an Apple guy it's a great streaming box. It's even better if you have a Mac and iPhone, though. Pay once for apps & games that work on your phone or Apple TV. Send video or music from your Mac or iPhone to your Apple TV with a tap. Use your TV as a second Mac screen wirelessly.)
https://www.sling.com/devices/appletv

If you're not an Apple guy, they have great Roku deals. You can get a Roku 2 for free (regularly $59.99) or a Roku 3 for half off when you pre-pay for 3 months.
https://www.sling.com/devices/roku

Last edited:
First replay is scheduled on Pac 12 Mountain at 7:30 pm tonight, next one is at 8:00 am Sunday morning. But on Sling, you can scroll backward in the schedule to prior days and pull up any program on demand.
Thank you for that.

Just a general warning for those of you who don't know this, and this I believe is more of a Pac 12 Network problem than a Sling problem, but I had avoided the score all day (had to work) so I could come home and watch this game. So I pull the old Sling TV up, and instead of going to the Guide page for like Pac 12 Mountain I saw a list of games and the Colorado/USC game was on the list. Sweet, saved me from searching I thought. I pull up the game, and notice it said "Encore" showing or something at the top. Didn't think much of it, so while the preview was going on I looked at the Ticker. For the record, I detest the ticker but find it real hard to not look at it (and yes, I know they sell a ticker blocker out there...I may need to purchase one someday).

Much to my anger and absolute horror, the worthless ****ing ticker showed that the Buffs had lost the game...during the ****ing encore performance of the game. Kickoff didn't even start. How that level of incompetence can exist is absolutely mind blowing to me. Perhaps I should thank them that I didn't spend the next 3 hours watching it, but holy **** I can't grasp how a network can be that incompetent. Unless someone can tell me why that's a good design.

Seeing crap like that does make me believe that the Network is completely 2nd rate, though I've seen other networks do it as well. I didn't have this problem last week since I watched the game from the guide and probably got the live version of it (delayed, but that version nonetheless).

Good deal on Amazon today for anyone who hasn't yet singed up for Sling, two months for the price of one!

I had been streaming all the games since the Idaho St game via Chromecast and it's been great since I've got that DirecTV dilemma. Lucky for me, my auto renewal was set for tomorrow, so I was able to cancel today and get the rest of the season secured for half off. More beer money is always a good thing.

As this is my first post on AllBuffs, I can't yet post links, you can access it via:

*Kinja's Today's Best Deals
*Search Sling on Amazon and click the top banner for Sling
*Search Sling Television - Subscription.

Select the Orange plan with Sports Extra, and you'll be all set. No kidding and not spam.

Cheers! Go Buffs!

Last edited:
Good deal on Amazon today for anyone who hasn't yet singed up for Sling, two months for the price of one!

I had been streaming all the games since the Idaho St game via Chromecast and it's been great since I've got that DirecTV dilemma. Lucky for me, my auto renewal was set for tomorrow, so I was able to cancel today and get the rest of the season secured for half off. More beer money is always a good thing.

As this is my first post on AllBuffs, I can't yet post links, you can access it via:

*Kinja's Today's Best Deals
*Search Sling on Amazon and click the top banner for Sling
*Search Sling Television - Subscription.

Select the Orange plan with Sports Extra, and you'll be all set. No kidding and not spam.

Cheers! Go Buffs!

Thanks for the heads up! I was due to renew this weekend, too.

Maybe those pricks at dish will finally show up to my house in time, not holding my breath though.

How soon after the game can you re-watch on Sling?

Assuming laptop or iPad works as a device? I'll be streaming on road this week so thinking Sling would be best way to rewatch game Sat night

How soon after the game can you re-watch on Sling?

Assuming laptop or iPad works as a device? I'll be streaming on road this week so thinking Sling would be best way to rewatch game Sat night
You can scroll back up to three days and watch any show that already aired on Pac-12. You don't have to wait for it to air again or get added to on demand. That doesn't work on every channel, though. Depends on the contracts Sling has worked out with the providers. There is a "skip ahead 30 seconds" button to get past commercials, too.

Also, if you tune to it after it's already started it'll ask you if you want to watch live or from the beginning.

And yes, you can use your laptop or iPad to watch. Mac or PC requires installation of the Sling app, though. There is no watching in a web browser like Netflix or Hulu. The app works great on my MacBook Pro, though it does make it run hotter than Netflix does. iPad may be your best bet if you don't want a hot computer on your lap.

Last edited:
Back